★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Anaglyphs! (in Stereoscopic 3D)

02-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Anaglyphs! (in Stereoscopic 3D) + VIDEO

UPDATE: The game is live in iTunes!

UPDATE: Added gameplay video - YouTube link

Hey everyone. First time poster, long time lurker

I just received my acceptance email from Apple for my first game. It won't go live until Tues, Feb 17th, so in the meantime I thought I'd post some info and get your opinions on features, pricing and any other feedback you have (or update ideas that I can start working on now).

One of my hobbies is 3D photography (3D Flickr set) and I noticed there aren't any Stereoscopic 3D iPhone games, so I made one.

"Anaglyphs!" is a Stereoscopic 3D Memory Match game. In many ways it's like other time-based pair matching games, but it's designed to be used with red/cyan (commonly known as red/blue) 3D glasses. So... a tried and true concept with a twist.

The main features are:
+ Two 3D themes (Classic and Winter) plus a 2D mode (Classic 2D).
+ Time-based. Earn extra time by matching 2 or more pairs in a row (chain combos).
+ For the 3D effects, the card symbols appear to float above the iPhone screen and the backgrounds are set in recessed 3D space. The Winter theme also has falling snow particles. If you have 3D glasses handy check out the screenshot below.
+ Scoring is based on clock time when matches are found.
+ Top score is saved and is user-resetable.
+ Volume control for owners of 1st gen Touches.
+ Auto-Saves at the start of each new level. (Saves time, level, score and current theme).
+ Level progression with changing backgrounds for each level (up to level 15, past that they randomly rotate).

My questions are:

Pricing - Existing match games run from free to $1.99. But there are no other 3D games to compare prices to, and I'm assuming this is a very small niche. Meaning I don't expect it to be a top 50 game, but it would be nice to make enough sales to fund future game ideas. My initial idea is $.99 as an introductory price, then go to $1.99 with the first major update. Does this sound right or am I crazy to go over $.99?

Feature updates - I already have a "Spring" theme in the works, and would like to add Summer and Fall down the road. Beyond adding themes, what other things would you like to see in a game like this? As simple of a concept as it is, my goal is for it to be worth the asking price even if it's only played in 2D mode. If you could add any feature to a memory match game, what would it be?

3D Glasses - This a barrier to entry and I realize most people don't have 3D glasses on hand. (And the Superbowl / Chuck glasses won't work - they use weird colors that deviate from the red/cyan standard). I already put a list on my site for places to get the glasses, but do you think I should offer them for sale (not as a money maker, just as a service) or do you think my list approach is OK?

3D Effects - what kinds of visual effects would you like to see added to give it that extra 3D kick (beyond floating cards, snowfall and recessed backgrounds)?

Opinions, feedback and thoughts are welcome. Thanks for any ideas you can share!

The website is boiledgoose.com.

Last edited by BoiledGoose; 02-17-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Added iTunes Store link
02-11-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure if you have this on your site, but I would suggest that you post a link to a place where people can purchase cheap 3-D glasses (for those who don't have them)! Otherwise, you are limiting your audience quite a bit, I would assume.

It looks like an interesting app - definitely innovative due to the use of 3-D glasses!

Any promo codes to test out your app would be appreciated!

02-11-2009, 06:10 PM
@vandy1997 - Yep! I have links to Amazon and other places on the site, but it's at the bottom of the page. I should probably put something right at the top - something nice and bright. RainbowSymphony.com will send you glasses for free if you send them a self addressed stamped envelope. But yeah, the 3D glasses issue is my biggest concern

I'm sure I'll have a few promo codes left over. I'll shoot you a message when I figure all of that out.
02-11-2009, 06:47 PM
I like a promo code too to test your app and give review and comments
02-11-2009, 06:48 PM
The 3D approach is really interesting. I think I still have a 3D glasses but I'm not sure is the right one for such game... I'll surely check this game tho I'm a bit tired of memory match games.

iPhone 6 and iPad Mini iOS 8
02-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah, make sure to make that information very obvious!! Thank you for the pomo code offer. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiledGoose View Post
@vandy1997 - Yep! I have links to Amazon and other places on the site, but it's at the bottom of the page. I should probably put something right at the top - something nice and bright. RainbowSymphony.com will send you glasses for free if you send them a self addressed stamped envelope. But yeah, the 3D glasses issue is my biggest concern

I'm sure I'll have a few promo codes left over. I'll shoot you a message when I figure all of that out.
02-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Wow! What an innovative idea! I love anything 3-D. I took out my trusty 3-D glasses and checked out all your flikr pictures, as well as the game screens. Really nice...love the picture of Lexie.

As far as pricing, I would definitely start with the 99 cents, and see what kind of response you get. Obviously, most people don't have a pair of 3-D glasses lying around the house so that's a major barrier. Offering it in 2-D may help a bit, as you said.

I think you should prominently feature the address where people can buy them or get them for free. If all of your games (and I know I am being optimistic here) are going to be in 3-D, it's more of an incentive to get the glasses--as opposed to just one game. Even offering a set of your 3-D images as an app--either paid or free--may induce some people to buy the glasses. I think that if people see that they can use the glasses for more than just one game, you will attract more of a following. The more 3-D, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not that big on memory matching games or match 3 games--I kind of overdid it with Aurora Feint and Bejeweled--but I would most likely buy your app for the 3-D effect. Unless, of course, you want to send me a free code! Good luck!
02-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Send a message via AIM to s0mah Send a message via Yahoo to s0mah
Hahaha.

Thought this said Analglyphs, and was like wtf is that.

Cool concept though.

twitter @ here
teh myspace @ &here
02-11-2009, 09:23 PM
.99 is a good starting point as metioned above. Just DON'T MAKE IT FREE. Search old threads to find out why. Anaglyph-whatever-I-can't-remember sounds really cool!

BTW, people, don't ask for codes or you could be banned! I don't mean to sound like an old woman or anything...:P

I'm a staff editor at GamePodunk.com. Follow me on Twitter (@HLLivingLoco) for games and fun!
02-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHrox View Post
BTW, people, don't ask for codes or you could be banned! I don't mean to sound like an old woman or anything...:P
Oh, sorry...I didn't know.