Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-02-2010, 07:47 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Multiball Pinball by Matmi

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by goiMot; 04-09-2010 at 10:05 AM..
Old 04-02-2010, 08:01 PM
The Bearded One
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Purchased, impressions soon.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:03 PM

Same here. I'll bite.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:57 PM
The Bearded One
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quick initial thoughts: this is another high quality Matmi pinball game. If you've played Monster's or Snowy's Pinball, this is cut from the same cloth. It has that unmistakeable Matmi art style, slightly Pixar-ish with a sort of crazy demented edge. It's extremely fast paced, much more so than your traditional pinball games. This has been a turn off for some players, so if you weren't a fan of their other pinball games chances are you aren't going to like this one either. For those that do like Matmi's brand of pinball, this game is just as fast and fun as the others.

The main hook here is the multiball. Unlike most pinball games that require you to complete many missions or requirements to unlock multiple balls, I had the multiball going in the first 30 seconds of play. The pace of Matmi's games are frantic as is, and throwing multiball into the mix makes it that much more so. It's a lot of fun. The board itself has lots of tricks up it's sleeve waiting to be discovered. The in game help doesn't go into detail on what most of this is, but after just playing for a short while I've been able to figure out what a lot of it does. The art style and charm built into Multiball Pinball is astounding. So far, a tiny alien has popped up from a tube in the bottom of the screen and shot his zapper into the table, electrocuting everything. I activated a small spout that shot out smoke rings, that I'm not too sure what it did. Weird, but awesome. It's definitely a wild and crazy game, and the accompanying sound effects fit right into that theme.

So, everything sounds great, right? Is there at least one negative here? There absolutely is, and it's unfortunately a huge negative. There's only ONE table. Granted, it's an excellently designed table and loads of fun, but both Monster's and Snowy's offer multiple tables that are connected to each other. That's one of the biggest highlights for me with their games, and I was pretty disappointed this game doesn't feature anything like that.

If you've enjoyed a Matmi pinball game before, chances are you'll enjoy this one as well. Just bear in mind that you are trading off multiple balls for multiple tables.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:31 PM

I can't say much more than that. There are a lot of subtle nuances going on with the board. It will take a few plays to figure out what arrows switch what. It is a very nice board with great physics.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Yeah, the one table thing is making it hard for me to decide if I want what I would expect to be an insta-buy. Hmmm.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:38 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOARDUMB View Post
Quick initial thoughts: this is another high quality Matmi pinball game. If you've played Monster's or Snowy's Pinball, this is cut from the same cloth. It has that unmistakeable Matmi art style, slightly Pixar-ish with a sort of crazy demented edge. It's extremely fast paced, much more so than your traditional pinball games. This has been a turn off for some players, so if you weren't a fan of their other pinball games chances are you aren't going to like this one either. For those that do like Matmi's brand of pinball, this game is just as fast and fun as the others.

The main hook here is the multiball. Unlike most pinball games that require you to complete many missions or requirements to unlock multiple balls, I had the multiball going in the first 30 seconds of play. The pace of Matmi's games are frantic as is, and throwing multiball into the mix makes it that much more so. It's a lot of fun. The board itself has lots of tricks up it's sleeve waiting to be discovered. The in game help doesn't go into detail on what most of this is, but after just playing for a short while I've been able to figure out what a lot of it does. The art style and charm built into Multiball Pinball is astounding. So far, a tiny alien has popped up from a tube in the bottom of the screen and shot his zapper into the table, electrocuting everything. I activated a small spout that shot out smoke rings, that I'm not too sure what it did. Weird, but awesome. It's definitely a wild and crazy game, and the accompanying sound effects fit right into that theme.

So, everything sounds great, right? Is there at least one negative here? There absolutely is, and it's unfortunately a huge negative. There's only ONE table. Granted, it's an excellently designed table and loads of fun, but both Monster's and Snowy's offer multiple tables that are connected to each other. That's one of the biggest highlights for me with their games, and I was pretty disappointed this game doesn't feature anything like that.

If you've enjoyed a Matmi pinball game before, chances are you'll enjoy this one as well. Just bear in mind that you are trading off multiple balls for multiple tables.
Thanks for the impressions. I liked their other pinball games so I'll be sure to pick this one up.

One thing though, if they did have multiple tables, how would that work with the multiple balls?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:53 PM
The Bearded One
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeatinflyincougar View Post
Thanks for the impressions. I liked their other pinball games so I'll be sure to pick this one up.

One thing though, if they did have multiple tables, how would that work with the multiple balls?
Good point, I hadn't really thought about that. I think I just automatically assumed that there'd be connected tables, like the other games. I guess they could close off the portals to the other tables while the multiball is active, and once you're back to one ball open them up again. At least it would be cool to have more than one table in the app, even if they are self contained.

I don't want to diminish how good this game is though, I still feel like it's worth the $3 and I'm having a great time with it. I think my disappointment in lack of tables is just a testament to how much I love their games. It would always be great to have more
Old 04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Boardumb, good review. Btw, out of their three pinball games, if you're only getting one, which would that be?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:47 PM
The Bearded One
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
Boardumb, good review. Btw, out of their three pinball games, if you're only getting one, which would that be?
Tough call, they're all so good Monster has the most tables, and is the most "off the wall" in terms of designs. Snowy's has 3 tables, and feels a little more traditional in how it plays, but is still pretty freaking crazy. And this one is just the one table, but has the most action due to the multiball. If I HAD to choose one, I'd probably say Monster. It has the most tables, and they're all quite different from one another. If you end up really enjoying it and need some more, the others will still be there. I'd say try Monster Lite, but it seems to have disappeared

Hope that sort of helps. Let me know which one you do end up picking up and what you think about it.