★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
11-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Well I got it during the $2 Halloween sale and played for several hours with only one crash. This games tons of fun and I'm so glad I finally picked this up.

Also they are planning an update to fix issues for IOS 5 (finally)

Favorite mobile RTS: Autumn Dynasty, Amoebattle & Red Conquest
Great TBS/SRPGs: Wesnoth, Battle Academy, Kingturn, Pantheon Cycle, Dungeon Crawlers, SW&E, Viking Lords, Metal Brigade Tactics, Tactical Soldier, Ravenmark, Tactics Maiden and Banner Saga

Last edited by Marcus70; 11-07-2011 at 10:32 PM.
12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
upgrade 2.2.8

Anyone with a good old iPad tried the new upgrade? I have ios5 running on mine, and with the upgrade there are more crashes now than ever. My suggestion would be: Do not upgrade!

12-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiefahrzeug View Post
Anyone with a good old iPad tried the new upgrade? I have ios5 running on mine, and with the upgrade there are more crashes now than ever. My suggestion would be: Do not upgrade!
I haven't had any crashes yet on my iPad 1st Gen iOS 5.01 non-jailbroken (playing a standard random map game at mid difficulty as Mongols, it's 400 AD with no major wars yet) but, knowing this game's history on iOS, don't doubt your for a second!

What I am curious about, however, is the following:

1) This is even after a fresh boot with nothing else running?
2) This is with a new game? Even if they CLAIM an update should be save game compatible, I've never trust such advice.
3) Were these crashes early on or in the late game where everything often gets slower and more intense?
4) Which Civ/Scenario/Difficulty were you playing when you saw all of these constant crashes?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Oh, this can often be a source, are you getting the achievement messages? I can't begin to count how many games I've had crashing due to GC issues and that was just added in this version.

My iTunes Reviews
12-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I haven't had any crashes yet on my iPad 1st Gen iOS 5.01 non-jailbroken (playing a standard random map game at mid difficulty as Mongols, it's 400 AD with no major wars yet) but, knowing this game's history on iOS, don't doubt your for a second!

What I am curious about, however, is the following:

1) This is even after a fresh boot with nothing else running?
2) This is with a new game? Even if they CLAIM an update should be save game compatible, I've never trust such advice.
3) Were these crashes early on or in the late game where everything often gets slower and more intense?
4) Which Civ/Scenario/Difficulty were you playing when you saw all of these constant crashes?
1) yes, nothing else started, just civ.
2) yes I started a new game with this version. It actually ran fine and smoothly (the UI is much snappier now), until the first crashes appeared...
3)...which was around 1200AD, then after 1350AD, the saved game crashes immediately after loading
4) I started a random map, warlord with the japanese.

I have to admit however, that I used a spy to kidnap madame curie from the germans. Not a fine move I must admit.
12-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Quote:
2) yes I started a new game with this version. It actually ran fine and smoothly (the UI is much snappier now), until the first crashes appeared...
3)...which was around 1200AD, then after 1350AD, the saved game crashes immediately after loading

I have to admit however, that I used a spy to kidnap madame curie from the germans. Not a fine move I must admit.
Do you think this is what started the crashes?

My iTunes Reviews
12-17-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:

Oh oh oh! I think I'm onto something!

I just started Civ and loaded a game to see it crash immediately!

However, if I start Civ up, wait until my Game Center ID logs in, and THEN load, no problems!

The Game Center ID login, at least on my machine, can take some 10-20 seconds to kick in after starting the app.

Could this be your issue as well?

My iTunes Reviews
12-17-2011, 02:46 PM
I just tried that, unfortunately it didn't fix it for me. I also tried to disable wifi so there is no gamecenter action at all. still crashes immediately.

I fear that your game will go on for a couple more moves only.

BTW: I don't believe it has anything to do with my rude handling of the madame curie case.
12-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
I just tried that, unfortunately it didn't fix it for me. I also tried to disable wifi so there is no gamecenter action at all. still crashes immediately.

I fear that your game will go on for a couple more moves only.

BTW: I don't believe it has anything to do with my rude handling of the madame curie case.
Sure, but I long contended that the ULTIMATE AI would be one that could simply reset the game itself once it knew it was losing.

Let me try to get a little further in my game and see for myself as I fear you're probably right.

My iTunes Reviews
01-17-2012, 06:07 PM
UPDATE:
2.2.9 was just released which is supposed to improve iOS stability issues...so does it?

My iTunes Reviews