Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Marcus70 Marcus70 is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 948
Default

Well I got it during the $2 Halloween sale and played for several hours with only one crash. This games tons of fun and I'm so glad I finally picked this up.

Also they are planning an update to fix issues for IOS 5 (finally)

Last edited by Marcus70; 11-07-2011 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 12-16-2011, 10:48 AM
hippiefahrzeug hippiefahrzeug is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 43
Default upgrade 2.2.8

Anyone with a good old iPad tried the new upgrade? I have ios5 running on mine, and with the upgrade there are more crashes now than ever. My suggestion would be: Do not upgrade!
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 AM
LordGek's Avatar
LordGek LordGek is offline
Moderator
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, CA, USA
Posts: 10,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiefahrzeug View Post
Anyone with a good old iPad tried the new upgrade? I have ios5 running on mine, and with the upgrade there are more crashes now than ever. My suggestion would be: Do not upgrade!
I haven't had any crashes yet on my iPad 1st Gen iOS 5.01 non-jailbroken (playing a standard random map game at mid difficulty as Mongols, it's 400 AD with no major wars yet) but, knowing this game's history on iOS, don't doubt your for a second!

What I am curious about, however, is the following:

1) This is even after a fresh boot with nothing else running?
2) This is with a new game? Even if they CLAIM an update should be save game compatible, I've never trust such advice.
3) Were these crashes early on or in the late game where everything often gets slower and more intense?
4) Which Civ/Scenario/Difficulty were you playing when you saw all of these constant crashes?
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 12-16-2011, 12:03 PM
LordGek's Avatar
LordGek LordGek is offline
Moderator
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, CA, USA
Posts: 10,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiefahrzeug View Post
Anyone with a good old iPad tried the new upgrade? I have ios5 running on mine, and with the upgrade there are more crashes now than ever. My suggestion would be: Do not upgrade!
Oh, this can often be a source, are you getting the achievement messages? I can't begin to count how many games I've had crashing due to GC issues and that was just added in this version.
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 12-17-2011, 01:29 PM
hippiefahrzeug hippiefahrzeug is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I haven't had any crashes yet on my iPad 1st Gen iOS 5.01 non-jailbroken (playing a standard random map game at mid difficulty as Mongols, it's 400 AD with no major wars yet) but, knowing this game's history on iOS, don't doubt your for a second!

What I am curious about, however, is the following:

1) This is even after a fresh boot with nothing else running?
2) This is with a new game? Even if they CLAIM an update should be save game compatible, I've never trust such advice.
3) Were these crashes early on or in the late game where everything often gets slower and more intense?
4) Which Civ/Scenario/Difficulty were you playing when you saw all of these constant crashes?
1) yes, nothing else started, just civ.
2) yes I started a new game with this version. It actually ran fine and smoothly (the UI is much snappier now), until the first crashes appeared...
3)...which was around 1200AD, then after 1350AD, the saved game crashes immediately after loading
4) I started a random map, warlord with the japanese.

I have to admit however, that I used a spy to kidnap madame curie from the germans. Not a fine move I must admit.
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 PM
LordGek's Avatar
LordGek LordGek is offline
Moderator
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, CA, USA
Posts: 10,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiefahrzeug View Post
1) yes, nothing else started, just civ.
2) yes I started a new game with this version. It actually ran fine and smoothly (the UI is much snappier now), until the first crashes appeared...
3)...which was around 1200AD, then after 1350AD, the saved game crashes immediately after loading
4) I started a random map, warlord with the japanese.

I have to admit however, that I used a spy to kidnap madame curie from the germans. Not a fine move I must admit.
Do you think this is what started the crashes?
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 12-17-2011, 01:42 PM
LordGek's Avatar
LordGek LordGek is offline
Moderator
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, CA, USA
Posts: 10,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiefahrzeug View Post
1) yes, nothing else started, just civ.
2) yes I started a new game with this version. It actually ran fine and smoothly (the UI is much snappier now), until the first crashes appeared...
3)...which was around 1200AD, then after 1350AD, the saved game crashes immediately after loading
4) I started a random map, warlord with the japanese.

I have to admit however, that I used a spy to kidnap madame curie from the germans. Not a fine move I must admit.
Oh oh oh! I think I'm onto something!

I just started Civ and loaded a game to see it crash immediately!

However, if I start Civ up, wait until my Game Center ID logs in, and THEN load, no problems!

The Game Center ID login, at least on my machine, can take some 10-20 seconds to kick in after starting the app.

Could this be your issue as well?
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 12-17-2011, 03:46 PM
hippiefahrzeug hippiefahrzeug is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 43
Default

I just tried that, unfortunately it didn't fix it for me. I also tried to disable wifi so there is no gamecenter action at all. still crashes immediately.

I fear that your game will go on for a couple more moves only.

BTW: I don't believe it has anything to do with my rude handling of the madame curie case.
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 PM
LordGek's Avatar
LordGek LordGek is offline
Moderator
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, CA, USA
Posts: 10,925
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiefahrzeug View Post
I just tried that, unfortunately it didn't fix it for me. I also tried to disable wifi so there is no gamecenter action at all. still crashes immediately.

I fear that your game will go on for a couple more moves only.

BTW: I don't believe it has anything to do with my rude handling of the madame curie case.
Sure, but I long contended that the ULTIMATE AI would be one that could simply reset the game itself once it knew it was losing.

Let me try to get a little further in my game and see for myself as I fear you're probably right.
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 01-17-2012, 07:07 PM
LordGek's Avatar
LordGek LordGek is offline
Moderator
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, CA, USA
Posts: 10,925
Default

UPDATE:
2.2.9 was just released which is supposed to improve iOS stability issues...so does it?
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent