Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 AM

Guess I've been lucky. Don't think CivRev has crashed on my yet, but I haven't played a game beyond King difficulty yet either. I do get graphical glitches (white lines) but can make them go away by zooming in.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:49 PM
iPad

Just for sake of completeness, I'm using the 32gig wireless. I purchased the app the day the iPad came out. I didn't know that discussing crashes in an application was referred to as whining. That's something new to take away. Keep in mind, I've had the application for a month now, and as such, have had as much experience with it as it humanly possible.

I've actually never crashed on saving. Most of the time it's been when trying to enter combat. If you do crash when entering combat, do not try to initiate that same combat again. It will crash over and over (it does a decent enough job of saving where you were for the most part). This tells me that it's most likely a real bug and not just a memory issue.

Like I said, nobody had a real iPad when they released their apps (well, a select few did, but let's not dwell on that). There is some degree of latitude allowed in this case. In comparison, Small World has released 2 updates already fixing issues. This is more in line with what I expected to see. Once again, I recommend that it's a decent enough port of the game, but caveat emptor. The crashes exist, and are likely common enough to annoy most users. Given that, I still say hold off until some commitment from the publisher/developers is shown making this more than just a fast thrown together port for a quick turn on a buck.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:46 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotcoder View Post
Just for sake of completeness, I'm using the 32gig wireless. I purchased the app the day the iPad came out. I didn't know that discussing crashes in an application was referred to as whining. That's something new to take away. Keep in mind, I've had the application for a month now, and as such, have had as much experience with it as it humanly possible.

I've actually never crashed on saving. Most of the time it's been when trying to enter combat. If you do crash when entering combat, do not try to initiate that same combat again. It will crash over and over (it does a decent enough job of saving where you were for the most part). This tells me that it's most likely a real bug and not just a memory issue.

Like I said, nobody had a real iPad when they released their apps (well, a select few did, but let's not dwell on that). There is some degree of latitude allowed in this case. In comparison, Small World has released 2 updates already fixing issues. This is more in line with what I expected to see. Once again, I recommend that it's a decent enough port of the game, but caveat emptor. The crashes exist, and are likely common enough to annoy most users. Given that, I still say hold off until some commitment from the publisher/developers is shown making this more than just a fast thrown together port for a quick turn on a buck.
I think I will hold off buying it then and, no, pointing out some obnoxious bugs doesn't make you a whiner, I just have learned the hard way that half of the iTune review mentioned "crashes" are from idjots who couldn't be bothered to reboot their system. When a competent user as yourself, however, reports these same problems it carries a lot more weight for me and I appreciate the feedback.

I'm also just hurt how this feels like such a half-assed effort on 2K's part. I mean the crash bugs were inevitable considering what we already discussed and as long as they're willing to address them promptly (less than a month) I can't fault them for that but what I do take issue with is that they're still just recycling the same Civilization Revolution game from a few years ago now without any sort of new content or innovation short of adapting its interface to work with the iPad (bringing it closer to the big console versions in presentation rather than the initial iPhone release that was almost a straight port of the DS version). Why not add a new scenario or civilization in there by now? Actually, strike that, there is some Customized Scenario thing in there now so, okay, there is SOMETHING new to it at least.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

> Most of the time it's been when trying to enter combat. If you do crash
> when entering combat, do not try to initiate that same combat again.

Interesting. This sounds like the EXACT same bug from the initial iPhone version. The real disappointing thing for me was 2K was quick to announce they had resolved the bug in some interview, and yet we had to wait months for it. It is quite a fun game, though.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I don't really want to wait for the fix, before buying it, but it sounds like the best choice right now, if it is happening so frequently.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:17 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
I don't really want to wait for the fix, before buying it, but it sounds like the best choice right now, if it is happening so frequently.
Yeah, until 2K gets a better track record, there is no reason to believe they're actually treating a fix as a high priority.

While you'd think being one of the first big premier strategy turn based games on the iPad would be worth their effort to get right, if this $12.99 game isn't garnering them much sales (possibly because there is a lot of negative buzz about it being a glitch fest, but that is likely asking marketing to think too deeply), they may just step away from what they see as a unprofitable black hole.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:06 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

An update has just been released that will supposedly address a number of crash bugs!

If any owners can verify this fix as good, I might finally buy.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:25 PM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

I've never once had this app crash, after playing for a week. I don't understand how people have been having problems. Just restart your device if you're low on memory and crashing.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:38 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by magihiro View Post
I've never once had this app crash, after playing for a week. I don't understand how people have been having problems. Just restart your device if you're low on memory and crashing.
That's reassuring but, grr, I swear I read somewhere that these folk had rebooted and that they were playing it on non-jailbroken devices...but maybe it was more user error than anything else.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:45 PM
iPad Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
That's reassuring but, grr, I swear I read somewhere that these folk had rebooted and that they were playing it on non-jailbroken devices...but maybe it was more user error than anything else.
Lord Gek, it is a small world. I did a Civ review for mobile tech review and you asked me if it had crashed on me (it hasn't). Your concerns are valid, however, I just couldn't reproduce any bugs.

I am curious, though, as to why people are having such wildly different experiences with the game.