Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #171  
Old 12-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Kramer Kramer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 145
Default

Yeah, it's a shame this was never updated.

Probably my fave iOS boardgame, bar Carcassonne, but as it sometimes crashes - I don't play it very often.

Considering how the App Store works, you'd think a little update after all these years would be good for business.

Seems totally abandoned.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 01-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Appletini Appletini is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Posts: 2,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
Seems totally abandoned.
You spoke too soon.

Small World is already under reconstruction to be re-released as Small World 2 in June/July 2013, and will add the 3-5 player board and multiplayer, as well as the Be Not Afraid expansion.

This is intended to be a free upgrade for all existing Small World owners, with additional bits and pieces for Kickstarter backers.





If the developers reach their KS target of $190k (was at around $400 a couple of hours ago, and is currently at $11,038 with 31 days remaining), all of the game upgrades will be free, not IAP (they'd rather avoid IAP, as per the below screenshot)...



Last edited by Appletini; 01-15-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 01-15-2013, 12:25 PM
crunc crunc is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,111
Default

I found their kickstarter confusing. Is this an update to the existing app or not? I think it is, but it's not that clear. I'm not sure I'm going to fund the kickstarter. I will buy the current game once (if) it is made 100% clear that this will be an update to it.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 PM
slewis7 slewis7 is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 8.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 3,044
Default

What crunc said. Also, I am curious how they would implement this. Would there be both a Small World and a Small World 2 app and they would be equivalent? That seems like a bad idea to me as it would be confusing to potential purchasers. Why wouldn't the developers just upgrade the existing app without making a new one?
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 01-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Appletini Appletini is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Posts: 2,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
I found their kickstarter confusing. Is this an update to the existing app or not? I think it is, but it's not that clear. I'm not sure I'm going to fund the kickstarter. I will buy the current game once (if) it is made 100% clear that this will be an update to it.
The phrasing on the DoW site suggests the new version will simply overwrite the old one, largely because there'll be no reason to keep the lesser-featured original around when SW2 hits, and they'll be able to keep your old expansion IAPs relevant that way.

The new version is intended to be a free upgrade if you already own the original Small World app, so there's no reason not to buy that now if you don't already have it - you'll be getting the new one either way. From DoW's KS page, I quote:

Quote:
Small World 2 is being offered for the flat backer contribution of $15 (and free of charge to existing owners of Small World for iPad!).

Last edited by Appletini; 01-15-2013 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 01-15-2013, 01:56 PM
LordGek's Avatar
LordGek LordGek is offline
Moderator
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, CA, USA
Posts: 10,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
You spoke too soon.

Small World is already under reconstruction to be re-released as Small World 2 in June/July 2013, and will add the 3-5 player board and multiplayer, as well as the Be Not Afraid expansion.

This is intended to be a free upgrade for all existing Small World owners, with additional bits and pieces for Kickstarter backers.





If the developers reach their KS target of $190k (was at around $400 a couple of hours ago, and is currently at $11,038 with 31 days remaining), all of the game upgrades will be free, not IAP (they'd rather avoid IAP, as per the below screenshot)...


I bought in as I'd love to see this developed more, but c'mon, would they REALLY ever make every iteration of 3-5 players a separate $1.99 charge? I find clever they very nature of this pitch is showing the very thing they DON'T want to do, so even if this pledge drive fails there is no reason to believe it would ever be this extreme.

As with other Kickstarter dealies, I'm in it for the GAME, not the physical doodads. So I was willing to commit $30 since that would get me all of the actual gameplay extras but none of the miniatures or gold plated knickknacks.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 01-15-2013, 02:02 PM
Appletini Appletini is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ankh-Morpork
Posts: 2,514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I bought in as I'd love to see this developed more, but c'mon, would they REALLY ever make every iteration of 3-5 players a separate $1.99 charge?
I don't think anybody except the TAKJAIAPB would have taken that seriously; it's clearly exaggeration for comedic effect. :P
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 01-15-2013, 04:32 PM
crunc crunc is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 4
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,111
Default

For me the only interesting part of the kickstarter is the physical stuff, but none of that comes even remotely cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM
LordGek's Avatar
LordGek LordGek is offline
Moderator
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, CA, USA
Posts: 10,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post
I don't think anybody except the TAKJAIAPB would have taken that seriously; it's clearly exaggeration for comedic effect. :P
Well it was effective, hit me harder than the black and white "before the miracle product" scenes of an infomercial!
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 PM
trystero trystero is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletini View Post

The new version is intended to be a free upgrade if you already own the original Small World app, so there's no reason not to buy that now if you don't already have it - you'll be getting the new one either way. From DoW's KS page, I quote:
This is *only* true if they meet the KS goal. Otherwise it will be a totally separate app.

If you read the full statement, SW2 will be releasing regardless of what happens on KS, but if KS fails it will just launch as separate app and people need to buy it again.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent