App description: "One of the most compelling games for the iPad." MacWorld Magazine, December 2013

== THE MASSIVE SEQUEL TO THE STRATEGY BOARD GAME OF THE YEAR ===
*** Games Magazine - Game of the Year !!! ***
*** Pocket Gamer Awards - Best iPad Strategy/Simulation Game of the year! ***
*** The first big Euro board game of the iPad era. Fans are in for a really wonderful ride *** TUAW.com

Based on the phenomenally successful Small World fantasy board game with over 500,000 copies sold! Take control of insanely fun fantasy race & special power combos, such as Berserk Halflings, Triton Merchants, Alchemist Ratmen and Dragon-master Amazons, to grab all the land you can in a world that is just too small to share with your opponents!

A host of new features await you in this colossal update:
New 3, 4 and 5 player maps to conquer, in glorious full retina mode!
Play Online games in real-time or turn-by-turn, with friends & strangers from the world over; and Local games over Bluetooth or Wifi
Play Solo against up to 4 built-in AI; Passn Play with up to 5 live opponents on a single iPad
20 new races & special powers to master through in-app purchases of Cursed!, Grand Dames and brand new to digital Be Not Afraid
Online, Solo & Face to Face scores with daily, weekly and forever rankings
Comprehensive Small World Encyclopedia detailing all rules, races, special powers, icons & more!
Extensive Game Center, Facebook and Days of Wonder Online Buddies integration
Brand new musical score, sound effects, graphics and animations
Video Tutorial by Master Glandulf himself

Discover what reviewers have been raving about:

*** The art is top notch, the gameplay is really fun. Perfect for a quick head to head! *** Games Uncovered

MAJOR KUDOS TO THE 7,042 KICKSTARTER BACKERS WHO HELPED US MAKE SMALL WORLD 2 COME TO LIFE!

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

HD Screenshots
(click to enlarge)

Quote:
What's New in v1.1

*** NEW FEATURES ***
- The famed Cursed! and Grand Dames expansions are now available as in-game expansions. The 5 new Races and 7 new Special Powers they introduce make Small World's combos more fun and unique than ever!
- a new in-game player lets you play the song of your choice from your music library while crushing your opponent
- A new leaderboard feature captures your high scores for posterity in the Champions page.
- The Amazons player can now choose which regions to abandon in order to keep 4 tokens in reserve.

*** BUG FIXES ***
- Dragon Master :the Dragon token sometimes failed to appear when Dragon Master Power was picked. FIXED.
- AI System : The bot now temporarily stops playing when you check your combos Info out

*** AI IMPROVEMENTS ***
- Seafaring Halflings do not plave their holes-in-the-ground in seas and lake regions anymore.
- Giants are now more likely to conquer Mountain regions when it makes sense

Quote:
What's New in v1.0

** NEW FEATURES ***
- Solo Mode : play alone against your iPad !
- Select the player who plays first : player 1, player 2 or random pick.
- Amazons : The regions they vacate at the end of turn are still picked automatically, but they now leave the less valuable ones first.

*** BUG FIXES ***
- Crashing bugs.
- Flying/Underworld/Seafarings Ghoul cannot use their power anymore in decline.
- Converting a region by a Pillaging Sorcerer now gives one extra VP.
- Flying Sorcerer can now use their power for their first conquest.
- Dragon Master: cannot attack a region anymore with Dragon but no race token.
01-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trystero View Post
This is *only* true if they meet the KS goal. Otherwise it will be a totally separate app.

If you read the full statement, SW2 will be releasing regardless of what happens on KS, but if KS fails it will just launch as separate app and people need to buy it again.
I wonder how many existing Small World app owners that had bought all their IAP last time round will do so again?

Disclaimer: I bought Small World and all its IAPs, so I am monitoring its developments.
01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
I am not sure that's right. I think in reading it again that they are releasing as a 2.0 update either way. However the expansion to more than 2 players will be an IAP.

Having said that, I think this KS is going to fail. The digital rewards aren't all that compelling. The only compelling ones are the physical game bonuses, and not only are they expensive levels, but people interested in that stuff may not have any interest in an iOS game at all, due to not having an iOS device. Plus for people interested in the iOS game, it will be cheaper to just buy the app now and get the update later (if the KS succeeds). And if the KS doesn't succeed you haven't really lost anything. You could pay more for the KS and if it succeeds it means that you will have paid more than the people that didn't back the KS. If it doesn't succeed, everybody pays the same. In no way can a KS backer pay less. There are some bonuses I don't really understand, though. Maybe they are worth it (I have never played the game, so I don't know what they mean).

There's one thing that could make it succeed, and that's Android users. If they back it in the hopes of getting it on Android, that could do it, but they are taking a chance. They might end up with just an iOS version.

Last edited by crunc; 01-16-2013 at 08:55 AM.

01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunc View Post
Having said that, I think this KS is going to fail.
Solid board game projects don't do too badly on KS, and I do think this will probably follow in that vein (especially given that DoW is involved), despite all the histrionic whining from heavyset neckbearded BGG-dwelling manchildren. Unfortunately, KS projects often don't draw in money linearly, so while they are pretty much at 20% basically within the first day, I agree this isn't a guarantee that they'll reach their end goal. I have a feeling they will, though.

The only reason to go in for the pledges for the digital version (other than to support the project, naturally) is if you want the three KS-exclusive digital races and powers ($30 level), but even if you don't buy those, you still get access to them if you play against anybody who did buy them.

I'm not interested in the physical rewards, personally; iOS boardgames have pretty much replaced physical ones for me, being infinitely cheaper and much more convenient in most circumstances (assuming a digital version exists, of course). On that note, I would back a KS dedicated to bringing Arkham Horror and expansions to iOS. Do it do it do it do it do it. :P

Quote:
There's one thing that could make it succeed, and that's Android users. If they back it in the hopes of getting it on Android, that could do it, but they are taking a chance. They might end up with just an iOS version.
I suspect that the "mystery platform" they're currently looking at for SW2 will be Steam, given that they already have TtR there. DoW haven't been big on pursuing Android in the past, but I'm sure they'd look at expanding that way if they could be reassured that 90% of the copies people would be playing weren't going to be pirated ones.
01-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
I wonder how many existing Small World app owners that had bought all their IAP last time round will do so again?

Disclaimer: I bought Small World and all its IAPs, so I am monitoring its developments.
I'm one of those that bought all the expansions happily. Would I buy the potential land expansions? If they were bundled into one IAP, yes. Three separate ones, no. I'd only be interested in the 5 player map only if that were the case. My only issue I ever had with the game was the lack of land (and ultimately why I deleted despite the small file size...the small map got pretty boring after a while).

Game Center: Diligence
01-17-2013, 04:44 PM
New update: If the KS hits $300k, SW2 will be coming to Android tablets and the Kindle Fire (the "mystery platforms").
01-18-2013, 02:03 AM
Wow, I'm actually really hype for this update! What I'm not too thrilled on is the kickstarter rewards. I like small world, but not enough to drop down $30 for the all-out ios version (which could probably buy my the actual board game instead). Still, good for them.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
01-18-2013, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbowling View Post
Wow, I'm actually really hype for this update! What I'm not too thrilled on is the kickstarter rewards. I like small world, but not enough to drop down $30 for the all-out ios version (which could probably buy my the actual board game instead). Still, good for them.
Especially when two of the IAP (cursed and great dames) are already available in the current version. Unless the be not afraid expansion costs 19 dollars you're paying over double. You also get three kickstarter exclusive powers but that's not easy to price.

I already own the ios game so the 30 dollar tier isn't worth much since I'm only getting the expansions and is powers.

Since the 15 dollar tier is only the game and ks powers it's worthless, cause I'd only get the ks powers. I'd still have to buy the expansions at an additional cost.

I could donate 3 bucks but there is no incentive at all.

So I'm buying both of the current expansions for 2 dollars each. They get more than three bucks and I at least get something of value for it.
01-18-2013, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
I already own the ios game so the 30 dollar tier isn't worth much since I'm only getting the expansions and is powers.
Three new powers and three new races that are all KS-exclusive, as well as the three expansions (and any/every other expansion that gets slated for digital translation as the KS progresses).

Still not necessarily worth $30, though, especially not for people who already own Small World and the current expansions. DoW should consider also throwing in a copy of Ticket to Ride at the $30 level while they're working on winning over a new generation of iPad gamers.
03-12-2013, 10:46 AM
The Small World 2 kickstarter is back from the dead, and makes more sense now. It has a level for people who already have the game and one for those who don't (and some other levels). Plus there's add-ons for bonuses, physical and virtual:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...d-2-the-return
03-12-2013, 11:09 AM
I agree. This looks worthwhile supporting now for iPad owning fans.

Game Center: MarinasideSteve