Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 08-12-2010, 05:55 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopTouch View Post
Game looks nice and I've watched the videos... may purchase in the near future...

Is it similar to Carcassonne in a loose sense? And is it as fun?
I would not compare it to Carcassone. It's hard to compare it to anything, really. It is an excellent game and is very fun, though. Probably the best board game for the iPad so far. Definitely get it if you like games like Risk, Carcassone, and even Magic: The Gathering. It's got elements of all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Spendy but, GOSH DANG, I have no choice as I MUST have them!
I feel like this far too often!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 PM
iPod Touch (2nd Gen), OS 3.x

Quote:
Spendy but, GOSH DANG, I have no choice as I MUST have them!
2 Bucks an expansion is a steal! The "real" versions are about $10 each. I'll be picking up both of these tonight!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:14 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Game looks nice and I've watched the videos... may purchase in the near future...

It's a great boardgame but I think one would be hard pressed to compare it in any way to Carcassonne other than they are both great real world board games that port well to the iPad (with the only slight caveat being that this is only the 2 player version of the game, be it 2 humans, 1 human vs. 1 bot, or 2 bots).

It might best be seen as Risk with a near endless variety of race/power combinations to fight it out with and minimal randomization in the conquests (the vast majority of the battles are resolved automatically without a die roll). The only real randomization is in which race/power combinations show up in the game (some of the random combinations the come up are pretty humorous like "Merchant Trolls" or "Commando Wizards").
Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:
Other than the fact that it, like Carcassonne, is loosely classified as a Euro game, it isn't similar. Small World is a light war game that can be played by 2-5 players. On the iPad, it is 2 players only, though one of those players can be a computer player. It is just as fun, though a different kind of fun. This is about conquering and controlling territory and deciding when you should have your current civilization go into decline so you can start a new one.

Carcassonne doesn't have so much fighting for territory, though you can fight with someone over control of a city, farm, road, etc. I wouldn't classify Carcassonne so much as a wargame as a game of strategically controlling elements at the time they score. You aren't directly killing enemy pieces, though they may claim you are.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 PM

A lot quicker expansions than Carcassonne..hmm not sure about that you gotta remember Small World came out April 3rd when ipad launched. I got both expansions $4 well worth it. Checked and they're in Japanese too.

One thing I'd like is ability to click on their race/power combo and read and pause their action while I read about their abilities. I was trying to read what Gypsies were doing. Had to wait till game was over then read about them.

Listen to music. It just plays one song then stops ...ok I admit was listening to an audio book and played just one chapter then quit. So perhaps keep on playing is my suggestion.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback people, I'll pick this up, but in September. Looks a great app.

I've just never played the game of Risk, so find it hard to understand, even though I love turn based games like Advanced Wars on the DS.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

HipHopTouch just youtube Smallworld ipad and check out those videos.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlaurence View Post
Great video that explains the game well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiSAc...=youtube_gdata
Thanks for posting the vid , it helped explain the game in an easy way .
Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback people, I'll pick this up, but in September. Looks a great app.

I've just never played the game of Risk, so find it hard to understand, even though I love turn based games like Advanced Wars on the DS.
To be honest then, you might want to move on if you found Risk too much to keep track of. As much as I like this game, I fully admit that it is all about trying to make the most out of constantly shifting rules and no storyline to explain the new twists you'll be facing as soon as you or your opponent take on new races. Imagine playing Chess when suddenly your opponent's pawns gain the power to teleport to any space and your queen can now move twice each turn. Okay, maybe a BS example but this game takes pretty basic gameplay and twists it around constantly via a seemingly endless combination of races and powers (some useless, some always great, and others perfect if used at just the right moment).

On a side note I sooooo NEED this latest expansion from the real game in there even if they charged $10 just for that expansion, Tales and Legends!

http://www.daysofwonder.com/smallwor...tales-legends/

It is a randomness obsessed dude's wet dream!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
As much as I like this game, I fully admit that it is all about trying to make the most out of constantly shifting rules and no storyline to explain the new twists you'll be facing as soon as you or your opponent take on new races. Imagine playing Chess when suddenly your opponent's pawns gain the power to teleport to any space and your queen can now move twice each turn. Okay, maybe a BS example but this game takes pretty basic gameplay and twists it around constantly via a seemingly endless combination of races and powers (some useless, some always great, and others perfect if used at just the right moment).:
ah you need to play Dreamblade then you'll experience like 800 different abilities.