★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Chillingo Ltd
  • Genre: Family
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 21.3 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $3.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: BoardBox is the most graphically rich and realistic looking board game set on iPad. With dozens of features and true-to-life visuals, BoardBox is the only board game you will need on your iPad! Grab a friend and play a game of Chess, Checkers, or Backgammon! Or turn off the rules and make up your own! Best of all, play with a friend around the world via email multiplayer! And the list goes on....

In fact, here is all you can do with BoardBox:
- 15 board games, including:
- Chess
- Backgammon (NEW!)
- Checkers
- Reversi
- Tic Tac Toe
- Tournament Tic Tac Toe (NEW!)
- Go
- International Draughts
- Xiangqi
- Westernized Xiangqi
- plus 5 Chess, 3 Backgammon, and 2 Go variants!
- Email multiplayer
- 3 unique board styles: Mahogany, Granite, and Old School
- Written rules by Wikipedia (no Internet connection required!)
- and MUCH more!

We have full support for movement and capture rules in Chess, Checkers, and Backgammon.

Included in our plans for future releases are updating features, adding new games, and making BoardBox the ultimate board game application on your iPad. And best of all: future updates will be 100% free! No in-app purchase content. We simply make it; you get it. FREE.

*Note: BoardBox does not have a CPU-controlled component at this time. This is intended to be a multiplayer game in which two people play together, people play via email, or you create your own games to share with others.

pluto6's comments:

Looks like it could be a real winner!
04-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Prior thread

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."

04-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the coverage!
04-21-2010, 05:22 AM
This is awesome. The developer has probably create a 3d mode, Which requires a red-blue 3d glasses, That would be interesting.
04-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Just picked this up. Pretty good. I'm sure it's been mentioned, but I think this needs one thing......

If you make an incorrect move, it should tell you. Just to have a failsafe in case someone isn't paying attention.

Also, why not an iphone version (Mainly so that you can play through email).

08-28-2010, 05:28 AM
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Looks like it could be a real winner!
Has Chillingo's BoardBox for iPad been pulled from the American App Store? It has said for a while, not available in the US store. TIA for any info.

Currently Playing: (iPad2) Angry Birds Space HD | MASS EFFECT INFILTRATOR | Hunters 2 | Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy | Flight Control Rocket | Azkend 2 HD: The World Beneath | rComplex | Zuma's Revenge HD | Rhianna Ford & The DaVinci Letter HD | Zepi:Spring HD | Reiner Knizia's Deck Buster | (iPhone) Doodle God
08-28-2010, 06:22 AM
not just in the US store, also missing in Switzerland
09-10-2010, 04:23 PM
and now it is back again, with version 1.3, though it steadfastly refuses to download, ah well, tomorrow is another day
09-10-2010, 04:44 PM
a word of warning

as BoardBox didnt show up as update, I clicked on buy once more - assuming that I would get a msg along the lines 'you have bought this before, you wont be charged again for the download' ... alas, that didnt show up, and my account tells me that I have been charged for it again ...

only now realized, that Chillingo is no longer listed as developer, but Movile ... reported that to itunes staff, asking for a refund ... as much as I enjoy the look and feel of BoardBox, I wouldnt want to pay for it twice

09-11-2010, 12:10 AM
best way to avoid this when not sure if you purchased it before or not is to click Write a Review and it'll tell you if you own it or not.