★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Trip Hawkins: 'Hardcore iPhone games won't matter'

02-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Trip Hawkins: 'Hardcore iPhone games won't matter'

Saw this article in pocketgamer.co.uk this morn.

What do you guys think?

Was having a discussion with another iphone gamer friend of my today too and we both felt that a premium store might actually not matter in the end, and might just cause confusion.

Personally, I feel if this premium store is being called for by the bigger companies just so they can justify a bigger dev budget to do the 'big' games for iphone, I just wonder .. what if this actually launches and the 'big' ones dont sell well, are they going to do hefty discounts after a month just to recover their losses again?

I feel, be it EA or an indie developer, if a game is good, it will sell well and if you are a brand developer with a bigger budget, you should not be afraid of the smaller developers competing with you on the same pricing points. I mean, so far, Gameloft's BIA and Sparta are good enuff even at 9.99, much less when they got half priced.

If a 20bucks game is just gonna be a slight incremental improvement, then I would rather pay for cheaper but more innovative products like Westward and Clusterball Arcade against 'console' franchises of NFS and SimCity.

Heck, now that I have Days of Thunder, Ferrari GT and Fastlane, I really wonder if I really want another big name racer like NFS, which just took too long to materalise. At this rate, I am wondering if it will still have the enthusiasm when it was first shown last Sep?
02-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the premium games section is never going to happen...