★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Looks like indies for the iPad got shafted

04-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Looks like indies for the iPad got shafted

From what I have heard, at least for the games category, if you aren't on the New and Noteworthy section or What's Hot, which is essentially just filled with the bigger named titles, you are practically invisible.
04-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Care to explain? what about the categories tab?

I've been anxious to hear some indie ipad numbers......

Water Your Body (ON SALE $0.99)
Tic Tac Pro (FREE)
New and Noteworthy!

04-03-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm soooo pissed. I have 4 games up for the iPad. But on the iPad app store when you go to games you can only see the featured games . You can not brows sections like rpg, action, puzzles and so on. So basically unless someone searched for you they will not find you..
04-03-2010, 01:48 PM

It looks like everyone except the 20-25 companies being featured have been forgotten. It doesn't make us indy devs want to support the iPad if Apple's going to throw us on the backburner

Last edited by Crazybreadman; 04-03-2010 at 01:56 PM.
04-03-2010, 02:08 PM
I think it's too early to jump to conclusions like this. The iPad was only launched a few hours ago & Apple obviously want to push it on the App Store. Knowing how they love to change things without warning, I wouldn't be too surprised to see them introduce categories or even have a separate interface for iPad. I'm sure I would be worried too if I were an iPad developer but it's definitely too early to panic IMO
04-03-2010, 02:19 PM
The iPhone App Store launched without any categories. Give it time.
04-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by bravetarget View Post
Care to explain? what about the categories tab?

I've been anxious to hear some indie ipad numbers......

For now, at least.

All we have is the What's New & Noteworthy, the What's Hot, and the ability to search for the names/tags of games.
04-03-2010, 02:26 PM
all you can see only preselected apps
and you can't browse categories
04-03-2010, 02:28 PM
You can see the list of top apps (top 100 if you click through) and top games as they both have iPad tabs to click, but there's currently no such tab on the other categories.

Bombardiers Guild XL FREE appears as #60 in free games, but I have no idea how many downloads that equates to. Probably 5.

Edit: I'm talking about iTunes, not the iPad store itself.
04-03-2010, 02:51 PM
The category tabs can't possibly be filled until actual download numbers come through can they? Of course, those tabs will immediately be filled with the ranks from the Featured titles, with the remnants of the lower ranks filled with whatever downloads happen to occur through search.

It kinda sucks that the Featured items get precedence, but did anyone honestly think that the iPad was going to be any different than the iPhone/iPod store?

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone