★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Enough With the "Tap-to-Shoot" Games Already!

02-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Enough With the "Tap-to-Shoot" Games Already!

What a disappointment that so many games involve no more skill than being able to poke your fat finger at an over-sized target on the screen!
Zombie Invasion, Time Crisis Strike, Wild West Guns...the list goes on and on.

Somebody...anybody...please let developers know that we are tired of this juvenile, apparently-easy-to-code interface. They need to step it up!

When will we get a decent FPS that actually involves aiming and firing, rather than just poke, poke, poking!
I "Prey" it will be soon!
02-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
When will we get a decent FPS that actually involves aiming and firing, rather than just poke, poke, poking!
When poke firing games stop selling. Until then, you can choose to not buy those games.

There's different types of gamers out there. Some like detailed and complex and some would rather have less to think about and do. To them, just keeping up with the targets is engaging enough. Who are we to judge?

Gravity is my game :: Top Slingshot Player and working to get my #1 spot in Orbital back...

02-11-2009, 11:38 PM
:P I agree! There are over 100 "Whack-A-Mole" styled games on the store now, and well.... yeah. It's enough.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

02-12-2009, 12:00 AM
I believe Silent Hill, despite its otherwise uninspiring gameplay, may be amongst the few games that has done the shooting simulation well: one aims with the accelerometer and taps the back of the iphone/IPT to fire. One has the sense of pulling a trigger in this context. However, this may only work well in Portrait orientation,

"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."
02-12-2009, 12:20 AM
Personally I'm sick of all of these over simplestic games!! Besides WHATS THE POINT OF A GAME KF YOU DONT HAVE FULL CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.s the idea that NFS has auto drive seriously annoys me
02-12-2009, 01:01 AM
The problem is that if you make the controls too hard, there's a good chance the player will get frustrated... it is an interesting challenge for developers for the iphone which has no buttons or keyboard... I see that most games are either tilt or touch for shoot...

One of the major criticisms I get for our game Arkanigon Duels is that the controls are too hard and complex...
02-12-2009, 01:16 AM
While I agree, the title's a bit misleading. I don't think that the actual 'tap-to-shoot' game mechanic is under scrutiny here, but using tap as a cursor for where to fire. I agree though it's pretty unsatisfying. Kinda why the only iphone shooters I'm really into right now are ExZeus and Space Ninja.

02-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Well Apple should throw out Ksoft then, they have no less than 15 tap-to-shoot/score games. To me that is utter spam. It is the same game dressed in 15 different costumes. Taps of rock, Punk taps, Sugartaps, Tap the nerd and so the list goes on. Hopefully they donīt get any sales for this crap polluting the appstore.
02-12-2009, 02:41 AM

The first iPhone game (2G iPhone, web based) was iWhack:

We put it out the weekend the phone was launched.

July 2007.

(Company used to be called MyNuMo).

2.x Browser revision broke it. Never considered building a native version.

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto
02-12-2009, 07:55 AM
I have to go long with OP. Sticking said 'fat finger' over a target requires no skill whatsoever. Although there apparently seems to be an argument that there are people out there who enjoy this sort of thing, IMHO, I personally don't think these types of apps should be graced with the title of 'game'. I consider myself a casual gamer, but does 'casual' gamer have to be synonymous with 'bored' gamer?

Last edited by Alichan; 02-12-2009 at 04:03 PM.