★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Udder Chaos; arcade style gallery shooter.. NOT touch-to-shoot!

02-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Udder Chaos; arcade style gallery shooter.. NOT touch-to-shoot!

Hey guys,
Been browsing here for a while and finally registered to participate. I recently got laid off from my company (failing U.S. economy) and decided to ask my friend for programming aid in creating an iPhone game (something I would like to play and fits my needs).

We used this game as a learning project and it turned out pretty well. There are still many gameplay elements that need to be implemented, but it will be done in an update. We couldn't sit on the game any longer so here it is.

Luckily, its NOT a touch-to-shoot cop-out. This game has a casual feel to it, with elements that give it a challenge. Premise of the game? SAVE YOUR CUTE COWS FROM ALIENS! Simple? Yes. Exciting? Hmm, I'll let you decide.

Here are 4 free codes. Please post the one (notice "one" is NOT plural) you have used and leave honest feedback (either here or in the iTunes store, or perhaps.... BOTH).

Thanks, all, for your feedback!

Link to game on iTunes.
Udder Chaos
(uncensored udder version) (^_^)

Last edited by NeoGouken; 02-12-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: info gap.
02-12-2009, 10:40 AM
got 7KRE67RWXTJL, will review

02-12-2009, 10:45 AM
I've used 6RFJET9XPL7E. Gonna get your feedback later on.

Fed up with all the casual games on the iDevice and in need of a new twist to the RPG genre? You can have an influence on the game with your ideas! For more info have a look at: Thread on TA / The Dev's Blog
02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
why wont ppl post which code they got? :S Im not talking to jawslover and butters

Games Currently Playing: Pro Evolution Soccer 2010, GT Racing Academy, Brother in Arms 2, Real Tennis 2009, N.O.V.A, Modern Combat: Sandstorm, Pocket Chef, RF2010, Warfare Incorporated, Doodle Jump, Homerun Batle, Trade Nations, Social CIty, City Story
Games Waiting For: FIFA 11, RF 11.
02-12-2009, 11:29 AM
This game looks good, shame I'm in the UK and the codes are no good.
02-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Got KFFNF79JAFYM... sorry coz we r too busy playing the game!

Got 6000+ score on the first run, so some preliminary comments...

Graphic wise, its very 8 bit ish, like SNES/Genesis game, nothing wrong with that, because the retro theme completely covers the game, so its quite polished and well thought of, if I had to nitpick about the graphics, Id say; menu needs some pizzazz to add to the chaotic theme, so does the icon, might want to tweak that abit, maybe add an animated short instructions, that would polish the game even more.
Inside the game, everything is fine and chaotic, love it, gameplay comments later on...

As you know its played using Accelerometer to aim the reticle, so accelerometer travel, inertia, etc is very important, and I can tell you that on the default setting "mid" everything works fine, I didnt even bother to play with the options since I was able to accurately nail most of the shots, unlike in other games like duckshoot, etc. where its comparatively harder to aim.
Im sure there will be people who complain about the lack of calibration, and even give you 1 star for that... so you may want to add that, other than that, the overall feel of the accelerometer is perfect!

Gameplay wise, pace is great, first 5 seconds, is boring to warm you up, but the next 10 seconds everything goes down to hell pretty quickly, it really is chaotic. Im sure there will be people who complain about the difficulty scaling, it literally went from level 1 to level 8 in like 10 seconds, some people might like it, some people dont Im sure. One thing I have to complain is that "milk splat" what the heck is that? it seems to not be a random occurrence, but I havent been able to replicate the exact trigger for that? shooting my own cow? what? but it is very annoying, need less of that.
In the few minutes of playing I was able to get a pretty consistent 6000+ scores, but there will be like a couple of times I scored only 400, thanks to some of that "milk splat" which seems to occur very randomly.

So overall, I like the pace personally, but again, to please other types of gamer, I think you might want to add a difficulty level setting (with a corresponding score multiplier of course!) and Less milk splats!
Suggestions to add, will be a global high score... youll be surprised how even a mediocre game feel more fun when you have other people playing against you.

More comments later!
02-12-2009, 11:55 AM
hahaha, milk splats are shot from the mechanical cow! kill those guys to lessen the milk splats!
02-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Can someone show me some screenshots? It sounds interesting .
02-12-2009, 12:18 PM
02-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Ohhh, those are milk splatters... First time i saw those, i was sitting there with a face that could best be described with 'WTF?'...

Haven't gotten into the game too much yet, but i already do love it. I mean seriously, these graphics are just 8-bit goodness at it's best. My god, i love those graphics. Did i already mention that i LOVE the graphics?

The sounds seem absolutely ok right now and i love the music in the menus, but the music ingame is not my kinda thing.

The controls do work pretty good from what i've seen so far and i haven't stumbled upon any problem yet.

Also this was the first game for which i had to reboot my iTouch (all others worked fine without reboot), don't know why, but that's not a problem at all.

You might consider adding global leaderboards to the game, because from what i've seen that seems to keep people coming back the most.

I shall conduct 'long time studies', but right now i really love this App. GREAT WORK!

EDIT: I also do like the menu. It seems pretty tidy and everything can be found in a matter of seconds. And did i mention that I LOVE THOSE GRAPHICS?

Fed up with all the casual games on the iDevice and in need of a new twist to the RPG genre? You can have an influence on the game with your ideas! For more info have a look at: Thread on TA / The Dev's Blog

Last edited by butters; 02-12-2009 at 12:37 PM.