★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Opetopic
  • Genre: Simulation
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 10.0 MB
  • Version: 1.3.1
  • Price: $1.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: IsoCards has won the AppStar Awards for best game!
NOTICE: IsoCards for the iPhone can ONLY be used in conjunction with an iPad.

"iPhone indie game developer Opetopic has thrown out all of the rules for their upcoming iPad card app titled IsoCards." - AddAdvice.com

"IsoCards isnt really a card game. Its every card game. Or any card game." - 148apps.com

"Conceptually it's an interesting approach... it will certainly be a neat technological trick." -PocketGamer.co.uk

IsoCards is one of the few apps that fully takes advantage of what the iPad has to offer. It's a multitouch-gesture and physics driven deck of cards, allowing you to play any card game you want. Just add a deck of cards, add a few players, deal out the cards and you are good to go.

* To deal out cards, just flick your finger on the deck and the card will go flying into the player's hand.

* Wanna see your cards without everyone else seeing? Cup your hand and place it above your cards and they will flip over for only you to see.

* Wanna play poker? Drag out some chips to use for betting.

* A notepad that you can write on or type on to keep track of scores.

* Transfer a player's cards to an iPhone or iPod touch with IsoCards installed.

mbrandonw's comments:
Hey guys, IsoCards is now live in the store and free!

However, I will not be keeping it free for long. So, even if you don't have an iPad you should go ahead and download it for the future.

Bluetooth/WiFi connectivity coming soon in an update.

-----------------

IsoCards is a multitouch-gesture and physics driven deck of cards that allows you to play any card game you want. No rules are pre-programmed. Just add a deck, add a few players, deal out some cards and you are good to go.

The biggest problem with multiple people playing on the same device is how to you keep your opponents from seeing your cards? Well, you cards are face down by default. But, by cupping your hand and placing it at the top of your cards they will flip over for only you to see. As soon as you lift your hand your cards will quickly flip back over.

There are also some nice interfaces for organizing your cards:

You can also connect an iPhone/iPod to the iPad to hold your cards (well, technically this will be coming out in an update... I want to test on a device first):

The most important part of IsoCards is that it is a very clean, intuitive game engine for cards, that can be adapted to nearly any type of game. So, I plan on releasing updates with common games already programmed in (Solitaire, Gin Rummy, Go Fish, etc.)

More info on my blog: http://opetopic.com/blog/2010/03/27/...itle-isocards/

What do you think?

04-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Love this app! Brilliant idea !
04-04-2010, 06:52 PM
I tried this briefly yesterday, but could not get the cards to flip over when cupping my hand like in the video - I had to stroke up with 1 finger and all the cards would then flip, but obviously were in full view.

Also when I add a person, the figure for where the cards are dealt - that plastic looking piece? - is right on top of where the old player was. Is there a way to have it generate in a new spot, or can I move the original one? I tried, but it did not move...

Concept is awesome though...

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
04-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM
Any chance we could see an iPod Touch/Iphone Version? I LOVE Gin Rummy! Please?
04-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
I tried this briefly yesterday, but could not get the cards to flip over when cupping my hand like in the video - I had to stroke up with 1 finger and all the cards would then flip, but obviously were in full view.

Also when I add a person, the figure for where the cards are dealt - that plastic looking piece? - is right on top of where the old player was. Is there a way to have it generate in a new spot, or can I move the original one? I tried, but it did not move...

Concept is awesome though...
Hey, this is a bit of work in progress, so I am providing very frequent updates as I fix things (I have already submitted 2 updates). It is a bit scary developing for a device that I couldn't test on, especially one that depends so much on multitouch.

The cupping hand to reveal cards has been fixed (or rather, made more precise), so update IsoCards when you get a chance.

The player card holders can be moved. See the little circles at the bottom? You can drag them around by those. If you use two fingers you can even rotate them around.
04-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RttaM View Post
Any chance we could see an iPod Touch/Iphone Version? I LOVE Gin Rummy! Please?
Hey, well first on my plate is getting the Bluetooth/WiFi connectivity between iPhones and iPads. Then I'm going to start thinking about how to create the same experience without an iPad.

The nice thing about the iPad is to think of it as the communal cards, and everyone holds their own cards on the device.

So my idea (my first, naive thought) was to have a way for the user to switch between seeing their cards and the communal cards on their iPhone/iPod. Then the problem is keeping the communal cards in sync among all devices and whatnot, but shouldn't be too bad.

I will keep you updated.