★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

One least one iPhone/iPad developer is complaining about iPad sailes

04-04-2010, 11:16 PM
#1
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 820
One least one iPhone/iPad developer is complaining about iPad sailes

TAG Games (twitter.com/TAGGames), the developer for Astro Ranch tweeted this earlier today:

"Doesn't look like an iPad goldrush for devs on the whole. Astro Ranch HD obviously not appealing to iPad early adopters either."

Now I'm sure part of this can be tied to the fact that Astro Ranch isn't a big name game and from what I read about the iPhone version, it's buggy as hell. Still, it's interesting to see that comment.

I wonder how iPad sales went over the weekend, as I expected most developers were looking for sales spikes due to 250,000 new iPad owners rushing to fill out their devices with new apps.

I'm curious if this was a feeling felt by many developers or just TAG.

Currently Playing: Plants vs. Zombies, The War of Eustrath, Zenonia 1, Phoenix Wright, The Quest
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/txag2005
Win ANY APP in Headcase Games' Daily 180 Twitter contest!
04-04-2010, 11:42 PM
#2
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
I would be surprised if there is a widespread sales spike because of the iPad. Many people just spent up to $800 on a base iPad product, and forking over another $15 or so for a game would seem to be secondary. I think what will happen is people will be more selective in their game purchases considering the higher price point. I think what you will see if more sales on the e-book and music side in the short term because the price point seems more reasonable.

The problem with the majority of games is that while they may enjoy decent or good sales on the iPhone/iPod Touch, a lot of that is based on the cheaper price point. It remains to be seen whether optimized features is enough to justify the higher price point for the mass audience.

In addition, I heard about the iTunes snafu with listing iPad games/apps yesterday. It seems that only the big name devs such as EA had their games appearing on the front page so smaller devs saw little to no exposure.

Last edited by Big Albie; 04-04-2010 at 11:54 PM.

04-04-2010, 11:54 PM
#3
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,944
Well of course they're complaining. I totally forgot about Astro Ranch HD being on the App Store, and I only heard (or read) it once from a press release. I follow Tag Games on Twitter, receive their email updates, and I've only heard it once. They basically brought it upon themselves: no hype, no coverage, and no real push to sell it.
04-05-2010, 12:00 AM
#4
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone1007 View Post
Well of course they're complaining. I totally forgot about Astro Ranch HD being on the App Store, and I only heard (or read) it once from a press release. I follow Tag Games on Twitter, receive their email updates, and I've only heard it once. They basically brought it upon themselves: no hype, no coverage, and no real push to sell it.
You are correct about that too. I saw this flood of iPad games here at TA, but for the most part nowhere else. Devs really need to get their act together when it comes to marketing. I spout about this kind of stuff all the time, and yet most devs continue to think that their products will sell themselves.
04-05-2010, 12:07 AM
#5
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
You are correct about that too. I saw this flood of iPad games here at TA, but for the most part nowhere else. Devs really need to get their act together when it comes to marketing. I spout about this kind of stuff all the time, and yet most devs continue to think that their products will sell themselves.
The problem is iPhone/iPad gaming exists in its own little world. I've been a gamer my whole life, but only was introduced to iPhone gaming when I was about to go on vacation in December and wanted a game on my phone for the flight. I googled iPhone RPG and found a list of games like Zenonia, Ravensword etc. Before then, I regularly rid most of the big gaming sites/blogs and listened to a number of podcasts. Outside of Flight Control, I never heard any mention of iPhone gaming. All those sites/blogs, big gaming magazines and TV spots are major marketing tools for console/PC games. iPhone gaming really has no access to these. Outside of Kotaku, there really isn't a big gaming site or blog that really pays attention to the iPhone. Even IGN's coverage is on one of their forgotten locations on their site. The only way I find out about iPhone games is this forum, some of the iPhone specific blogs and just browsing iTunes.

Currently Playing: Plants vs. Zombies, The War of Eustrath, Zenonia 1, Phoenix Wright, The Quest
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/txag2005
Win ANY APP in Headcase Games' Daily 180 Twitter contest!
04-05-2010, 12:51 AM
#6
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
I would be surprised if there is a widespread sales spike because of the iPad. Many people just spent up to $800 on a base iPad product, and forking over another $15 or so for a game would seem to be secondary. I think what will happen is people will be more selective in their game purchases considering the higher price point. I think what you will see if more sales on the e-book and music side in the short term because the price point seems more reasonable.

The problem with the majority of games is that while they may enjoy decent or good sales on the iPhone/iPod Touch, a lot of that is based on the cheaper price point. It remains to be seen whether optimized features is enough to justify the higher price point for the mass audience.

In addition, I heard about the iTunes snafu with listing iPad games/apps yesterday. It seems that only the big name devs such as EA had their games appearing on the front page so smaller devs saw little to no exposure.
Agreed, I'm going to buy an iPad as soon as it hits Australia and I am simply trying to accumulate as many good free/promo code apps as I can. The only apps I'm likely to buy on day one are Plants vs. Zombies HD and maybe Mirror's Edge

Games I have beta tested: Minigore, Cogs, Guerilla Bob, Above and Beyond: Air Combat, Baseball Superstars 2010, 33rd Division, Cash Machine, 5 star General, Flick Football... Possibly some other ones I;ve forgotten
04-05-2010, 01:10 AM
#7
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Australia, mate!
Posts: 8,419
What are they complaining about? The iPad has only been released in the US, and it won't be until a few weeks before it is released in Europe and Australia. S of course their sales aren't going to be high.

hi
04-05-2010, 01:19 AM
#8
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Guy View Post
What are they complaining about? The iPad has only been released in the US, and it won't be until a few weeks before it is released in Europe and Australia. S of course their sales aren't going to be high.
I'm sure Astro Ranch sold like 2 iPad copies or something ridiculous like that. I just think developers got caught in the hype and thought that this weekend was going to be a gold mine of app sales. Like I said above, it doesn't help TAG Games' case that Astro Ranch is a buggy mess that crashes constantly.

Currently Playing: Plants vs. Zombies, The War of Eustrath, Zenonia 1, Phoenix Wright, The Quest
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/txag2005
Win ANY APP in Headcase Games' Daily 180 Twitter contest!
04-05-2010, 01:43 AM
#9
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by txag2005 View Post
The problem is iPhone/iPad gaming exists in its own little world. I've been a gamer my whole life, but only was introduced to iPhone gaming when I was about to go on vacation in December and wanted a game on my phone for the flight. I googled iPhone RPG and found a list of games like Zenonia, Ravensword etc. Before then, I regularly rid most of the big gaming sites/blogs and listened to a number of podcasts. Outside of Flight Control, I never heard any mention of iPhone gaming. All those sites/blogs, big gaming magazines and TV spots are major marketing tools for console/PC games. iPhone gaming really has no access to these. Outside of Kotaku, there really isn't a big gaming site or blog that really pays attention to the iPhone. Even IGN's coverage is on one of their forgotten locations on their site. The only way I find out about iPhone games is this forum, some of the iPhone specific blogs and just browsing iTunes.
Actually, that's not completely accurate, and I'll tell you why...the gaming audience is but one of multiple audiences developers should focus their marketing. Gaming sites aren't the only outlets the people follow. You have to understand that the audience especially with the iPad is much broader than simply gaming. Truth be told, TA is but a small fish in a large pond in the scheme of things.

Case in point...Playfirst creators of time management games such as Dining Dash and Cooking Dash were on the local news here in San Francisco. A full 5-minute segment was devoted to what these devs were doing to prepare for the iPad launch. The newscast reaches a broad viewing audience and not just gamers. As I've said before, developers really need to understand who makes up their core audience, and it's typically not just gamers.

For example, if you have a children's game or something that younger kids could play, you should be reaching out to children's magazines, blogs and other media outlets because those reach parents who buy the games. Playfirst secured their broadcast segment because they came up with a mainstream story angle and through PR planning and strategic thinking. Games simply aren't about hitting just the gaming sites and outlets. They reach many more audiences than you think.

Last edited by Big Albie; 04-05-2010 at 01:45 AM.
04-05-2010, 02:43 AM
#10
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Albie View Post
You are correct about that too. I saw this flood of iPad games here at TA, but for the most part nowhere else. Devs really need to get their act together when it comes to marketing. I spout about this kind of stuff all the time, and yet most devs continue to think that their products will sell themselves.
I don't think many developers believe their products will sell themselves anymore. Most of us, at least us smalltimers, how learned that even with some advertising there is no guarantee of making any money whatsoever. For EA and the other biggies it might not be as much of an issue, they have strong IP's, the press pay attention and if not they have the war-chest to spend on advertising.

Most of the apps released for the iPad so far seem to be upsized iPhone apps and it could simply be that this doesn't interest new iPad users as much. Especially as I suspect the majority of them already owns an iPhone or iPod touch and could get the exact same game for a lower price. I believe the iPad will be huge [for developers] eventually but that the games will also have to deliver experiences that truly differs from their iPhone counterparts.