★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: BoardBox ~ realistic, true-to-life board games on iPad!

04-05-2010, 12:33 PM
BoardBox ~ realistic, true-to-life board games on iPad!

BoardBox ~ realistic, true-to-life board games on iPad!

Since Apple’s iPad announcement, Movile Inc. has been focusing hard on making the best game for the new platform that we possibly could. Realism, depth, and interaction were our goals, and we'll let you judge how you think we did.

We are overjoyed to announce that BoardBox has made it to the iPad App Store!

BoardBox is set to be the most graphically rich and realistic looking board game set on iPad.

With dozens of features and true-to-life visuals, BoardBox is the only board game you will need on your iPad! Grab a friend and play a game of Chess, Checkers, or Reversi. Turn off the rules and make up your own! Play with a friend around the world via email!

And the list goes on….

- 15 board games, including:
.……Chess
..……Checkers
...……Reversi
....……Tic Tac Toe
.....……Go
......……International Draughts
.......……Xiangqi
........……Westernized Xiangqi
.........……plus 5 Chess and 2 Go variants!

- Email multiplayer
- 3 unique board styles: Mahogany, Granite, and Old School
- Rules and Game History provided by Wikipedia
- and MUCH more!

Included in our plans for future releases are feature updates, tons of new games, and continuing to elevate BoardBox to be the ultimate board game application on your iPad. And best of all: future updates will be 100% free! No in-app purchase content. We simply make it; you get it. FREE.

In fact, we've already submitted our 1.0.1 release, which includes a laundry list of updates, not just bug fixes! We've included backend support for internationalization and are beginning to put in the pieces for turn-based multiplayer through Chillingo's Crystal Social Network! Our 1.0.1 update should be available shortly with 1.1 following up within about two weeks!

Best of all is the price: just $3.99! Compare that to a set of travel games for $29.95 and you’ll see the value right away. Plus, it might be a little hard to shove those little plastic pieces in an email to play with your friend on the other side of the world. Or save your game for next time. Or look up the rules without carrying around a book. Or … well, I think you get the idea.

Published by Chillingo, BoardBox is available on the iPad App Store right now for just $3.99!

BoardBox for iPad.

For more information, take a look at the Movile Blog and take a look at more screenshots, get full update details, and contact us or leave some feedback!

Last edited by movile; 04-10-2010 at 01:55 PM.
04-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi everyone, I'd just like to let you know that we've launched our 1.02 release of BoardBox, which has a whole bunch of updates, including bug fuxes and more features! Take a look

- Full multi touch allows for up to 11 simultaneous moves!
- Internal changes to support internationalization for Update 1.1
- Removed confirm for undoing four or fewer moves at a time
- Fixed accelerometer bug that caused pop-overs to go away
- Pick email address from contacts
- No need to dismiss keyboard to send an email in landscape mode
- Replaced Westernized Xiangqi mahogany grid
- Fixed email crashing if no email account was set up - gives nice warning now
- Revised "escape to Safari" icon in Rules pop-over
- Disabled piece picker in Courier Chess when rules are turned on
- Spelling mistake in list of games fixed
- Added credits in "About" when tapping on the Movile logo
- Removed excessive gloss on icon
- Fixed bug that, in certain games, removing pieces would not register properly

So go take a look at BoardBox now!

Last edited by movile; 04-10-2010 at 01:55 PM.

04-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Does the app enforce rules or is it left up to the players? When will Backgammon be added? Thanks.
04-10-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm so tempted to get this game. On one of the user reviews he states the basic rules aren't enforced, like he could move his pawn in an illegal way. Tell me this isn't true?

Also might want to think about adding in a computer ai in this mix for 1 player in the future, you'll probably get much more game sales that way, I know it's the big reasons I didn't click buy.
04-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Thinking if I should get it
04-10-2010, 01:41 PM
This looks like it could be a great all in one- board app however until the rules are enforced this is not worth it. I would rather have you slowly add new board games each month but each working flawlessly.

Fix the issues and I would be willing to invest.
04-10-2010, 01:48 PM
I can officially say that three variants of Backgammon will be included in our 1.1 update, due out within the next two weeks. Of course, you can always turn off the rules and play your own way as well!

We will also be adding full support for rules for games, as well as a bunch of other features such as move tracking (to eliminate selecting pieces every turn) in Go, Reversi, and Tic Tac Toe. And a whole bunch more, but nothing that we're announcing as of yet.

Computer AI is down the pipeline, but we want to create a community around this game. We've got some great plans, and I think you'll all be very satisfied with it!

Last edited by movile; 04-10-2010 at 01:54 PM.
04-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by movile View Post
I can officially say that three variants of Backgammon will be included in our 1.1 update, due out within the next two weeks. Of course, you can always turn off the rules and play your own way as well!

We will also be adding full support for rules for all games, as well as a bunch of other features such as move tracking (to eliminate selecting pieces every turn) in Go, Reversi, and Tic Tac Toe. And a whole bunch more, but nothing that we're announcing as of yet.

Computer AI is down the pipeline, but we want to create a community around this game. We've got some great plans, and I think you'll all be very satisfied with it!
Good to hear I will be looking for the update and probably grab it than!
At least you are listening...
04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
That sounds cool then. Well once the AI is in and rules are enforced, then I'll push that "buy" button.

Ya know what would be super cool, is if it was 3D, like you can rotate all around it with 2 fingers and if the iPad was flat and you tilt it, it'll move like in a 3d view. I'm sure someone will do it, but I guess that would be a bit of work for now, just saying that would be really cool for a set of board games and I'm sure that 3d feature would help generate a lot of sales. Just something I would love to see in a board game
04-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Agree, I'll gladly press 'buy' once AI implemented. Thanks!