★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Ludia
  • Genre: Trivia
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 188.4 MB
  • Version: 1.0.2
  • Price: $2.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Big Bucks, No Whammies! The classic 80s game show is now on iPhone. You are one of three contestants competing to collect "spins by answering trivia questions, and then using your spins on the Big Board full of cash and prizes. The person who amasses the most in cash and prizes at the end of the game wins, but avoid the dreaded Whammies along the way, they will steal all of your cash and prizes. Features include:

Hundreds of of trivia questions and tons of mischievous Whammy animations = Fun For All!
Earn Spins on The Big Board for Cash and Prizes
Custom Avatars : Design your avatar from head to toe.
3D Graphics, theme music and game sounds create a true-to-show game experience.
Single and Multiplayer modes available
Unlock Achievements - Use your winnings for customized items for your avatar.

Get it now!

ImNoSuperMan's comments:

Quote:
****Press Your Luck Now Available****
*****Launch Sale, get it 60% OFF*****

Big Bucks, No Whammies! The classic 80s game show makes its iPhone debut. You are one of three contestants competing to collect "spins by answering trivia questions, and then using your spins on the Big Board full of cash and prizes. The person who amasses the most in cash and prizes at the end of the game wins, but avoid the dreaded Whammies along the way, they will steal all of your cash and prizes. Features include:

Hundreds of of trivia questions and tons of mischievous Whammy animations = Fun For All!
Earn Spins on The Big Board for Cash and Prizes
Custom Avatars : Design your avatar from head to toe.
3D Graphics, theme music and game sounds create a true-to-show game experience.
Single and Multiplayer modes available
Unlock Achievements - Use your winnings for customized items for your avatar.

Get it now at this fabulous price!
04-06-2010, 06:09 AM
Oh wow. Blast from the past time. And it looks rather decent too. I might have to grab this.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko

04-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
Oh wow. Blast from the past time. And it looks rather decent too. I might have to grab this.
Same here. Anyone have a gameplay video?
04-06-2010, 11:22 AM
04-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Looks like prerendered movies for the character animations, but otherwise, yeah, this looks pretty faithful, so I'ma pick this up when I get home. $2 is pretty cheap for this.

04-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Looks like prerendered movies for the character animations, but otherwise, yeah, this looks pretty faithful, so I'ma pick this up when I get home. $2 is pretty cheap for this.
They're not pre-rendered movies, but you don't have direct control of them.
04-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Yeah, after Family Feud's price jumped from $2 to $3 to $5, I think I learned my lesson with this company. I'll probably download this as soon as possible to avoid such a price fiasco
04-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
Yeah, after Family Feud's price jumped from $2 to $3 to $5, I think I learned my lesson with this company. I'll probably download this as soon as possible to avoid such a price fiasco
What about when Price is Right 2010 jumped from $3 to $5 then down to $.99?

I think I'll gamble and hold off on this one for a bit. I used to love watching Press Your Luck, but I'm not sure how much fun it would be to play. I'm curious, but at this point, only about $.99 curious.
04-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Game Impressions

Well, I picked this up strictly for the nostalgia value (I remember watching many hours of PYL on cable while staying home sick from school) and the game very much delivered on that score. Don't know whether someone who didn't grow up with the game show can really appreciate the game, but I can say that it looks great, the gameplay is well polished, and the unlockable gear for your avatar is really fun. The questions are not very challenging at this point and I've won 2 out 3 matches I've played so far (I got 4 whammies on the one I lost), but the chance component helps to keep things interesting even if you plough through your opponents in the quiz portion. I should note that the whammy animations are exactly as I remember from the TV show and usually pretty funny. All in all, a nice game, particularly for those who remember the game show fondly.
04-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Sweet. I've got it downloading right now. I grew up with that on TV as well so yeah, there's a nostalgia factor here for me too, but it was a pretty entertaining game anyway. Wonder if we'll ever see slightly more obscure ones like Bumper Stumpers (the host was a bit of a wet noodle but I enjoyed the game) or that one in the 80s where you had to reveal squares and solve rhebuses. (There's a modern version on UK television) Can't recall its name though.