★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Ready to go pro?

Play the hit puzzle game anytime/anywhere with KENKEN® Pro By Will Shortz.

Easy to learn and difficult to master, KENKEN Pro takes the typical number puzzle to the next level with a fun and challenging analytical element. The latest edition of the popular iPhone game features a streamlined interface, tons of new puzzles and a tutorial by puzzle master Will Shortz.

In KENKEN players unravel the puzzle by entering the correct number within a 3 x 3 to 9 x 9 sized grid. Like Sudoku, each number can only be used once per row. However, KENKEN Pro ups-the-ante by incorporating basic math functions into the solution. So, while each number can only be used once per row, it must also equate to the numerical value of its respective cage.

If it sounds difficult, its not. KENKEN is featured in the New York Times and published in more than 70 other periodicals around the world. The game is also a popular math teaching tool for educators worldwide.

Features:
* Packed with brain-straining KENKEN puzzles approved by games inventor, Tetsuya Miyamoto.
* A vast array of difficulties and puzzle sizes ranging from 3x3 to 9x9.
* More than 1,000 puzzles.
* Online leaderboards.
* Post achievements directly to Facebook.
* Gesture support, allowing the player to write the numbers directly onto the screen.
* Video tutorial by puzzle master Will Shortz.

So can you KenKen?
04-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Does this have 9x9 puzzles without the operator? (truly evil if it does). The Capcom release of KenKen was really good by only had 6x6 as the maximum grid size.

I'd like to know what the video tutorial is like as well as how many achievements there are.

04-06-2010, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dense View Post
Does this have 9x9 puzzles without the operator? (truly evil if it does). The Capcom release of KenKen was really good by only had 6x6 as the maximum grid size.

I'd like to know what the video tutorial is like as well as how many achievements there are.
For only $.99 you could find out and report back

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
04-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dense View Post

All the puzzles (3x3 up to 9x9) have 5 difficulty levels and then there is a Challenge level without signs/operators.

I know the game, so I have not watched the video.

I don't care about achievements, so I have not looked this up.

BUT: This game is really polished and has a much better user interface than KENKEN Train your Brain.

It's a steal for 99c, so just go and get it

>
It should be a standard feature that you can turn on/off in-game music and sound effects separately in all games
!
04-06-2010, 08:14 AM
"However, KENKEN Pro ups-the-ante by incorporating basic math functions into the solution. So, while each number can only be used once per row, it must also equate to the numerical value of its respective cage."

Isn't this how Kenken works anyway?
Will most likely buy this but I don't see how this 'Pro' is any different to normal Kenken.
04-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkSausage View Post
"However, KENKEN Pro ups-the-ante by incorporating basic math functions into the solution. So, while each number can only be used once per row, it must also equate to the numerical value of its respective cage."

Will most likely buy this but I don't see how this 'Pro' is any different to normal Kenken.
I believe they were talking about "upping the ante" as a comparison to sudoku, not this version of kenken.

Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
04-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I believe they were talking about "upping the ante" as a comparison to sudoku, not this version of kenken.
Yeah, looking back it's pretty clear. Don't understand what makes this a pro edition tho. Will buy later regardless.
04-06-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AClockworkSausage View Post

The Pro are the 7x7 to 9x9 grids I think.

BTW: What does "ups-the-ante" mean

>
It should be a standard feature that you can turn on/off in-game music and sound effects separately in all games
!
04-06-2010, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhjyh View Post
The Pro are the 7x7 to 9x9 grids I think.

BTW: What does "ups-the-ante" mean
It's a poker reference. It means to increase something. In this case, I assume it means to increase the difficulty or complexity.

04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
I bought the previous edition, "Train Your Brain," when it was on sale for a buck - my first experience with kenken puzzles (had done Sudoku) - and thought it was a great deal, especially once the app was updated to provide 1000 puzzles.

This edition promises weekly puzzles in addition to those included. The max puzzle size is 9x9. I haven't looked at the "challenge mode" yet, but it supposedly has puzzles without operators, which was the best part of the first edition. If the latter do not go up to 9x9 in "Pro," it won't matter to me. Based on my experience with the 250 "genius" puzzles included in "Train your brain," I imagine larger puzzles without operators could be fiendishly difficulty.

I accidentally left a one star-review rating while leaving an app store review, which should show up as 4/5 asap. The inclusion of a tutorial for beginners seems like a good start towards justifying the application of the Will Shortz brand to this product. Compared to his overpriced books, these apps are a great value.

Last edited by Grubjelly; 04-06-2010 at 09:11 AM.