★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: SobredosisGames presents COCOnoid, an adictive game inspired in classic games. COCOnoid is part of the COordinating COde project. Playing with games of the COCO project you will improve right-left hand coordination. Destroy all the fractal cores keeping the ball inside the play area. Playing with COCOnoid you will enjoy of 30 fractal worlds. Each one with a different characteristics.

Taste again the old school games.

goiMot's comments:

04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Looks kind of sluggish, but still looks pretty cool.
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Send a message via MSN to GHRocker08 Send a message via Yahoo to GHRocker08
No matter how many times I press the Play button nothing happens. What do I do?
04-06-2010, 02:56 PM
I downloaded it and it plays fine on my device. It is like playing pong against yourself. You move each paddle with your thumbs and keep the ball in the field to destroy what is there. Fairly basic game, but for free you will get some good play time out of it.

Game Center- SLEB Openfient- sleb plus+ sleb
10-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Again a free sale today.

For me too it is working fine, I only get a crash once but could always start a game. This isn't a Pong but a very original Brick Breaker, and a great one. Rush get it, even more if you like the genre, it totally worth it.

The base is simple, two pads, one at right the other at left, in middle some bricks and among those bricks, you have to destroy some particular bricks named core to end the level. No power up, no special attacks and more. Basic and boring? Wrong!

The level design is amazing and plays on various elements to make each level different and a new challenge:
  • There's different forms of bricks involving different bouncing on them, I noticed, squares, triangles, round, hexagonal, cross.
  • There's 3 types of bricks, standard and you can destroy them but it's not the primary goal, unbreakable that build obstacles giving a structure to a level, cores that are bricks you have to destroy to end the level. Their number is different for each level, it's low numbers from 1 to 5.
  • There's different movements for bricks. Most are static, but some are moving on different pattern, the pattern depends of the level and those movements can be for any type of brick including obstacles and cores.
  • Some bricks can flash at different rates, for example a brick obstacle will not stop the ball when the brick is fading or you can't destroy a core brick if it is fading.
  • The bricks, standards, cores, obstacles, or various forms, moving or flashing or static are layout differently for each level and that build levels with a very different gameplay.
  • The number of core bricks to destroy to end the level is different depending of the level.
  • The core bricks to destroy are placed at different positions and can be more or less protected by other bricks, standard or obstacles.
  • The core bricks to destroy can move on different patterns depending of the level or even can flash.

On top of this diversity there's some elements of the general design building its gameplay:
  • The two pads to manage is a very important point, I'm left handed and each time the ball goes on right side that rise the tension and often I try send it back to left side asap.
  • The paddles are rather small forcing you concentrate quite a lot.
  • The ball can have various speed and sometimes a bouncing can be quite fast. Also bricks tend generate hard to predict bouncing. Those both elements give a lot of tension and tend favor speed and reflex.
  • You can control well the ball even if the system isn't fully classical, and that's important to manage better trajectories to reach sooner the core bricks or avoid the obstacles.
  • You start with 2 lifes and win 1 life when you finish a level. That seems a lot but the game is nasty and it's not a lot.

That game is also not perfect and lack of some polishing like:
  • The area behind the pad is perhaps a bit small then tend force you have the finger over your pad at least partially.
  • Some levels can be extremely difficult, perhaps a bit too much.
  • There's only 30 levels which is a little short for a Brick Breaker but at least they are difficult for most and very different, and there's always the global score target forcing you not using continue if you want score higher and survive the challenge, I'm still very far to do good scores and can chain only few levels.

But overall even if not perfect, it is very fun, very original, have plenty very good design elements, and totally worth a deep try and overcome the high difficulty that can stop many players just trying it quickly among ton of other free game to try.

Last edited by Qordobo; 10-26-2010 at 09:06 AM.
10-26-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm not cool with the abrupt level transitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimo View Post
This is not Windows, this is Apple, dude