★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Prepare yourself for the first space combat/tactical simulator for the iPhone and iPod touch!

"I can play this game over and over again. It's a buy!" -TouchOfGaming.com

Captain on the bridge! In a desperate bid for survival of the human race, the Galactic Commonwealth has appointed you to command their latest prototype battlecruiser, the UGS Archangel.

After devastating nearly all of the Commonwealth's fleet, the Makuzi Ascendancy has unleashed one last armada to destroy the remaining Terran homeworlds.

With the UGS Archangel, warp to various sectors of the quadrant to fight off Makuzi warships with phasers and torpedoes. Send damage control crews to various parts of your ship. Divert power to balance the terms of engagement. Coordinate with navigation, tactical, engineering, and communications, as you carry out your orders. It's a battle to the finish, and you're in total control from the captain's chair!

Archangel: Fate of the Galactic Commonwealth features intense arcade action, stereo sound effects, dozens of quality voiceover phrases, and an epic orchestral soundtrack. If you're a fan of sci-fi TV shows and movies such as Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, StarGate, and Firefly/Serenity, you'll love the feel of this game!

Featuring the voice of actor Michael Wehrhahn!

NOTE: Enhance your gameplay on the iPhone 3GS! If you're experiencing slowness or if the application quits unexpectedly, try rebooting your device first or disabling voiceovers.

Watch the official game trailer on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__k7X2X6Fyk or http://tinyurl.com/archvideo

BeyondtheTech's comments:
ARCHANGEL: VENGEANCE OF THE MAKUZI ASCENDANCY

Click here [App Store Link] to get your copy today!

The cult-favorite space tactical shooter is now available for the iPad!

Simply tap on the screen to maneuver your ship. Hold down a weapons button, then tap in the direction you wish to fire. It's that simple, yet increasingly challenging, fun and addictive!
  • Command your own starship
  • Fire phasers and torpedoes
  • Jump around the sector
  • Fend off against alien warships
  • Evade asteroids and mines
  • Dock with planets for repair
  • Engage the enemy mothership!

If you're a fan of all the latest blockbuster Sci-Fi TV shows and movies, you'll have a blast with this game.

Originally started as a proof-of-concept on the GameSalad engine, this is game that is and will be continued to be developed to be similar and surpass the original release of Archangel: Fate of the Galactic Commonwealth. An iPhone version is planned, either as an update or a replacement.

Promo codes to be posted shortly. The game should appear in the App Store later today.

VERSION 1.1 IS A MAJOR UPDATE that resolves many issues and provides the most wanted feature requests:
  • Redesigned main menu with instructions and game settings
  • Buttons can be repositioned
  • Save game state now active, choose unlocked sectors
  • Pause and exit from game screen
  • Jump drive around the sector for a quick escape
  • Updated enemy base station
  • Tweaked replenishment and damage settings
  • Lots of much needed bug fixes, sorry for the inconvenience!

Coming soon! In-game voiceovers (featuring actor Michael Wehrhahn) from the original Archangel game, plus a scoring and timing system. Enjoy!

Thank you for all your support and enjoy the game!
04-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Send a message via AIM to BeyondtheTech Send a message via MSN to BeyondtheTech Send a message via Yahoo to BeyondtheTech
As the game has gone live in the App Store, so have these promo codes!

Please enjoy and post a constructive rating and review. Thank you, everyone!

Code:
4NTWNTXWAPKK
MFHJYX9FEJHX
K7FNM3HEY93N
E9WE6HJ99P7J
MKANWANEYLP6
LL9MLW769LKM
3F3R36W4FK7N
6JR73JKAWHHW
Y4KFW6ALN47R
WXN94LEY7F39

Grab a copy of Feather, FREE on the App Store!

04-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Took MFHJYX9FEJHX! Thanks.

Also, most (all??) of the other codes are taken...and not a single "thanks."
Now that's pitiful.
04-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Used E9WE6HJ99P7J, thanks! I'll post feedback as soon as I've played it a bit.
04-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Best of luck with the new version.

Quick question BeyondtheTech, will the original for the Touch and iPhone get any new updates?

Last edited by Lost Cipher; 04-06-2010 at 06:47 PM.
04-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Send a message via AIM to BeyondtheTech Send a message via MSN to BeyondtheTech Send a message via Yahoo to BeyondtheTech
Hey Lost Cipher, long time no hear. I got increasingly frustrated with the Torque engine that was behind the original version, that I ended up shelving the engine and switched to GameSalad. Because there is obviously a lot vested in it, I'm going to give it another shot, but if it doesn't pan out, it's going to be a complete rewrite in GameSalad. The only limitation which I'm working on with the engine devs is that it requires to be signed with a different name, so even if I were to recreate it, I couldn't post it as a free update to current iPhone version. I may have to resort to giving it out free for the first few days or week to appease my audience. Hope that answers your question, and in the meantime, you can enjoy this re-creation!

04-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey that's cool BeyondtheTech, once I get an iPad down the line I would be more than happy to pick up the new game.

And I do wish you the best of luck with the new one, and old one (Still play it, was and still is badass!).

Does that mean you can't update this version or only the older one? And if the engine is so bad why not take the extra time and just switch to a better one? Or is it you still have time on your license for Torque?

And if you can update this new one, what kind of things will we potentially see in the future?

Well hopefully this one pans out good for ya.
04-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm going to try to update the original A:FGC on the iPhone with the updated Torque engine and iPhone SDK. If it gets too troublesome, I'll just create A:VMA on the iPhone using GameSalad and release it for free for a short time to make sure as many A:FGC users get it as a "free update."

04-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Gamesalad, does it work as well as they say BeyondtheTech?

I've always wanted to learn to program game code, however being honest I've never had the time. So if a program can act like a shortcut, I won't lie and say I wouldn't use it.

Is the Torque engine more of a hassle then its worth, or is it decent just troublesome? Are you getting good returns on the iPad tech with the Torque engine, or still problems? Cause I think I remember you saying the Torque engine was OK but didn't give you everything you wanted on the Touch and iPhone.
04-07-2010, 08:12 AM
I have to tell you, GameSalad is really that easy to build games with, and for the price, it can't be beat. I'd rather not go off on a tangent here since I'd like to dedicate this thread to Archangel Q&A, but I'd be more than happy to open this discussion up with you and invite others in the dev forums so they can get a better understanding of both engines.

That being said, version 1.2 is already in development with some more goodies in store. I'd like to get everyone's input on how to make this game the best it can be. Thanks again, it's off to a great opening!