★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: DataHunter Openfeint enabled!

04-07-2010, 07:58 AM
DataHunter Openfeint enabled!

Datahunter is now OpenFeint enabled with achievement and leaderboard support!

Trailer :

04-07-2010, 08:46 AM
That's awesome, thanks so much Livio I've had fun exploring the word, now time for it to get serious.

GameCenter: rich_952000
I'm generally active on Twitter concerning all things iOS, PS and Nintendo; Hit me up
@dick_952000 Love TouchArcade? Hit up their Patreon

04-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Already a great game, now this just adds to it.

Game Center- SLEB Openfient- sleb plus+ sleb
04-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Horrible

Must be developers commenting on their own game because this one is flawed at best. After about 5 minutes of uneventful and rather vanilla gameplay here is my first thoughts and gripes.

1. Controls are beyond your control, lol. Awful to the point of nonsense.
2. Try hooked on phonics. The grammer and use of English makes me look like a Harvard graduate which is pretty hard I can admit to make a dummy like me appear.
3. When your assistant cuts into gameplay, thus freezing your chracter, enemies can attack you still and with only one life provided, dying while the idiot spends multiple seconds to spit out a small meaningless message is beyond irritating. On the second level this occurs and im stuck at this point.

Last edited by Natron; 04-07-2010 at 06:51 PM.
04-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natron View Post
Must be developers commenting on their own game...
Or perhaps they disagree with you. As do I. The game is not perfect, but it does build an Alien-like atmosphere pretty well (though the first/tutorial level should have been smaller, since it has only one enemy). The controls work well enough, though the fact that the character turns automatically towards potential targets takes some getting used to. The messages from the ship AI do not freeze my character; not sure where that is coming from.

Yes, the English could be improved. But it's an action game, not an RPG, and you really have to be very petty to make such a big deal of that.
04-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Petty would be ripping a game if it was free, this game like every other game on my device I have paid money for. And for 2 bucks there are enough quality games on the app store that this game doesnt stand up to.

And yes, on my device the game upon finding the first piece of "data" in the second level, after grinding thru the horribly long and boring first level as you yourself stated, my chracter cannot move while the AI is talking, meanwhile I have a spaceworm up my shiz killing me before she is done talking. Cannot move forward past this point.

The controls dont take time getting used to, Im all about gameplay, how a game feels, and the controls on this are just flat bad. Without proper controls you dont have a game. Thats not petty, thats an honest opinion and one that im sure a good amount of other poor saps who pay for the game will share.
04-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Quote:
Petty would be ripping a game if it was free, this game like every other game on my device I have paid money for. And for 2 bucks there are enough quality games on the app store that this game doesnt stand up to.

And yes, on my device the game upon finding the first piece of "data" in the second level, after grinding thru the horribly long and boring first level as you yourself stated, my chracter cannot move while the AI is talking, meanwhile I have a spaceworm up my shiz killing me before she is done talking. Cannot move forward past this point.

The controls dont take time getting used to, Im all about gameplay, how a game feels, and the controls on this are just flat bad. Without proper controls you dont have a game. Thats not petty, thats an honest opinion and one that im sure a good amount of other poor saps who pay for the game will share.
To clarify: the only thing I think is petty is ragging on the use of grammar. Everything else is your opinion and you're entitled to it.
04-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Natron,
A whole 24 posts and you are an expert. You claim that I am the developer commenting on the game myself. I am not the developer. I just play the games. I do wish I could develope apps but I have a job and family. So I enjoy playing games on the ipod touch. Just because I happen to like a game and the way it plays does not make me the dev or someone shilling for him. Keep your opinion an opinion and don't make statements about others you do not know. You have the right to say what you want about the game but not other forum members.

Game Center- SLEB Openfient- sleb plus+ sleb
04-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post
Natron,
A whole 24 posts and you are an expert. You claim that I am the developer commenting on the game myself. I am not the developer. I just play the games. I do wish I could develope apps but I have a job and family. So I enjoy playing games on the ipod touch. Just because I happen to like a game and the way it plays does not make me the dev or someone shilling for him. Keep your opinion an opinion and don't make statements about others you do not know. You have the right to say what you want about the game but not other forum members.
What's the number of posts that qualify me for expert status?
My posts aside, I have purchased over 250 games on this device and that's a big enough sampling to know what's good and not. I'm blessed that for my job I get to in a way sit online and play video games and give my opinion about anything under the sun video games or whatever. But back to the point. Even if it's a game I'm not fond of whether it be the genre or whatever, I can put that aside and still give credit where it's due and give hell for wasting my time, especially when wasting of my time also costs me money.
I'm no expert, but now that I know a certain number of posts on this website awards me this designation I'm well on my way.
A whole 24 posts and Ive seen enough on here that when I see someone blowing up a cruddy game like it's the next Halo there is usually funny business involved. I can also say what I want as long as my opinion doesn't go over the line, even if that's an opinion of someone elses opinion =p. Don't take it so personnal. I can think of a lot more to be upset about then being told my opinion sucks.

If it's not fake rave reviews or promo codes given away to secure good reviews for subpar games, I'm gonna make it a point that when I pay money for something that I expect a finished product. When it's not, I'm going to encourage others not to make the same mistake.

I am new, so answer this for me because I have a hard time understanding the motivation behind this practice.
Why do people if not the developers or on behalf of developers go thru the process of copying the app store description, embed video files and screenshots when this information is readily available 100 other places online?*That number goes even higher for those of us who enjoy gaming on our iDevices that we know the places to find this information on our own. Repetive bombardment of vague info on product and hype statements is called advertising to me.

By the way don't be ashamed of posting on this site, obvious your having some issues to be that sensitive over my " must be the game developers comment" that you have to mention you have a family and a job. I'm impressed! But what that has to do with our opinion of a 2 dollar game is beyond my comprehension but I think you can be cool man and still post on her no matter what anybody says. By the way....if this game is good, why would you be so put off by a comment stating yours must be of the developers. We'll see a year down the road when there are plenty of user reviews on the app store what the rest of the saps like me that pay for this game think. I gurantee you if this
game remains the same, most will have a viewpoint closer to mine than yours.

P.S. You said that you Wsh you could be a game developer. Well no matter how old or young or wherever you may live it's never too late to go to your local adult school. Take a computer programing course, drop out after 3 weeks and you yourself couild be working on Data Miner part 2. I'm being called petty and your being called a game devloper wah wah for both of us.

Now for the grammer issue and pettiness to the other. Look it's easy, on here, typing on our phones grammer and deep editing are unexpected. But if I go to a movie I expect to understand what they are saying on the screen, if I can't, then I expect subtitles. When I buy a book I expect it to be perfect grammer. When a buy a song off iTunes I expect it to be audible. Why video games shouldn't fall under the same rule of thumb is again, beyond me.

We've all said the controls at least have issues, we've all admitted that the grammer and understanding of English isn't the games
strong suit....And one of you also agreed that the first level is long and boring.
Well how many of these faults are needed to add up to this not being a product worthy of money, couple bucks or not?

I'm all for a hobbyist putting their game on the app store and sharing their creation for free, but to charge money for it when it's the work of an amatuer is wrong, hell I'd be cool if it was only a buck. When it breaks that buck thresshold I dunno, It irks me that I just downloaded an unpolished product. I know people are proud and think their creation is the best over. But those developers all need a collective slap in the face.

You wanna put your unedited, buggy, and unfinished game on the app store go on and do so, just don't expect money for it. Your cheating yourself if you expect any less. We've all seen and played games on here for the same price, cheaper, and free that this game fails to compete with.

Last edited by Natron; 04-09-2010 at 02:06 AM.
04-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Quote:
What's the number of posts that qualify me for expert status?
My posts aside, I have purchased over 250 games on this device and that's a big enough sampling to know what's good and not. I'm blessed that for my job I get to in a way sit online and play video games and give my opinion about anything under the sun video games or whatever. But back to the point. Even if it's a game I'm not fond of whether it be the genre or whatever, I can put that aside and still give credit where it's due and give hell for wasting my time, especially when wasting of my time also costs me money.
I'm no expert, but now that I know a certain number of posts on this website awards me this designation I'm well on my way.
A whole 24 posts and Ive seen enough on here that when I see someone blowing up a cruddy game like it's the next Halo there is usually funny business involved. I can also say what I want as long as my opinion doesn't go over the line, even if that's an opinion of someone elses opinion =p. Don' take it so personna.l I can think of a lot more to be upset about then being told my opinion sucks.

If it's not fake rave reviews or promo codes given away to secure good reviews for subpar games, I'm gonna make it a point that when I pay money for something that I expect a finished product. When it's not, I'm going to encourage others not to make the same mistake.

By the way don't be ashamed of posting on this site, obvious your having some issues to be that sensitive over my " must be the game developers comment" that you have to mention you have a family and a job. I'm impressed! But what that has to do with our opinion of a 2 dollar game is beyond my comprehension but I think you can be cool man and still post on her no matter what anybody says. By the way....if this game is good, why would you be so put off by a comment stating yours must be of the developers. We'll see a year down the road when there are plenty of user reviews on the app store what the rest of the saps like me that pay for this game think. I gurantee you if this
game remains the same, most will have a viewpoint closer to mine than yours.

P.S. You said that you Wsh you could be a game developer. Well no matter how old or young or wherever you may live it's never too late to go to your local adult school. Take a computer programing course, drop out after 3 weeks and you yourself couild be working on Data Miner part 2. I'm being called petty and your being called a game devloper wah wah for both of us.

Now for the grammer issue and pettiness to the other. Look it's easy, on here, typing on our phones grammer and deep editing are unexpected. But if I go to a movie I expect to understand what they are saying on the screen, if I can't, then I expect subtitles. When I buy a book I expect it to be perfect grammer. When a buy a song off iTunes I expect it to be audible. Why video games shouldn't fall under the same rule of thumb is again, beyond me.

We've all said the controls at least have issues, we've all admitted that the grammer and understanding of English isn't the games
strong suit....And one of you also agreed that the first level is long and boring.
Well how many of these faults are needed to add up to this not being a product worthy of money, couple bucks or not?

I'm all for a hobbyist putting their game on the app store and sharing their creation for free, but to charge money for it when it's the work of an amatuer is wrong, hell I'd be cool if it was only a buck. When it breaks that buck thresshold I dunno, It irks me that I just downloaded an unpolished product. I know people are proud and think their creation is the best over. But those developers all need a collective slap in the face.

You wanna put your unedited, buggy, and unfinished game on the app store go on and do so, just don't expect money for it. Your cheating yourself if you expect any less. We've all seen and played games on here for the same price, cheaper, and free that this game fails to compete with.
Again, you're entitled to your opinion about the game. What sleb was reacting to is you questioning his integrity: that somehow the opinion he expressed was not an honest one (because he was associated with the developer). Some people can take that lightly and just laugh it off. Sleb doesn't, and it's his right to say something about it.

BTW, don't put words in my mouth. I never said the first level was long and boring. I said it could have been a bit shorter. Obviously, sleb and I thought that whatever faults the game had, they were out-weighted by the positives. You felt the opposite, and that's fine.