Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-10-2008, 06:31 AM

Default Hooked: Pocket Fishing. Great app!

I have just downloaded this game ( app store link ) and think it's a great fishing game. If anyone has the slightest interest in fishing, this is your app. It ustilises the device well (for example, to cast you hold the reel while you flick the device forward). There is lots of equipment to choose from like bait/rods etc. There are 3 lakes with varying fish in each. And there is full instructions within the app, explaining the various equipment and fish, and whats best to use to catch each type of fish.
Very detailed for someone who's only mildly interested like me, but for 1.19 (I assume that's $2 in the US) it's worth it in my opinion.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:43 AM

Default This one's a keeper.

I have to agree with wasteduthe, this game has plenty of enjoyment for the $2 price tag. $5 would probably be a fair price for this game.

High points are the great variety of fish, multiple lakes to fish, a good selection of bait/tackle and it's cool to be able to fish day or night.

The control is decent, you actually put your thumb on the screen, flick the device and release your thumb to cast. It would be nice if there were an option of a "Cast button" here as I am sure more than one person will inadvertently throw their phone across the room while playing. (iPhone/Touch tether anybody?) A simple casting button would also make it less obvious that I am playing a game at work - kind of hard to explain away the spastic arm movements as my normal email typing routine. A small issue with the control is that the game seems to slow down and get kind of "chunky" when reeling in a fish. With no fish on, the reel animation is perfectly smooth - when a fish is on, everything seems to stutter - but this does not really detract from the game. (And yes I have rebooted my phone a couple times and turned off wifi to no avail)

The graphics, while not marvelous, do a good job of conveying what's going on. Also, the guide on the various fish, the baits they prefer, lakes, reels, rods and more is really nice. It's cool to be able to learn a bit about the fish that you are stalking. (Or are stalking you in the case of the Alligator Gar)

Plenty of giant fish to be had in this game. I caught a sunfish that was close to 5 pounds, and my first gar was 262 pounds.

Overall, while there is some room for improvement, I really do enjoy this game and I would strongly recommend anybody who needs a fishing fix to pick this up without hesitation.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:52 AM

Ebola, I haven't experienced the problem you're having when reeling a fish in, but then being a Touch owner I turned off the vibrate option in the games option menu before I played. Could that be the cause?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:57 PM

I'm totally loving this game. It's a strong title with some excellent fishing mechanics. The casting and reeling techniques work so well. There's a lot of variation in terms of the types of fish and bait. Of course, as good as a title gets, there's always room for improvement. I really hope that the developer keeps updating it. A few things I'd really like to see, are some animations of the fisherman and fish, moving backgrounds, etc. I'm going to invite the developer here to comment.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:09 PM

I have posted some suggestions to the developers of this app, and gave them a link to this thread. Here is what I said-

"Hello
Loving your Hooked iPhone game. However, I would like to offer some suggestions-
1) When you catch something, remove the text at the top of the window "You caught a fish". For one thing, if it is a fish, you then go on to say the size and type in the next sentence, so the first sentence isn't needed. Secondly, you still say "You caught a fish" when it isn't even a fish! I caught a cap and the game still said I caught a fish! It doesn't make sense.
2) When you cast out, the bubble showing the bait under the water is immediately visible BEFORE you hear it hit the water! It should appear after the sound effect of the bait/hook hitting the water.
3) My friend is a fisherman, and he commented on the fact that you are told to always reel in slowly to catch a fish. Surely you only need to do this while spin-fishing.

I hope you take some of these ideas into consideration. You have already created a fantastic fishing game, which my friend and I like very much. But we do feel that these small points could make it that bit better.
I have posted a thread regarding your app on a site called Touch Arcade here (link). Many app customers and developers post messages on here. Perhaps you might want to take a look at some of the positive comments on your app.
Thank you for your time.
Best regards"

Maybe we'll see a post from these guys.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:19 PM

Default From The Developer

Howdy Everyone,
This is Ryan, one of the developers of Hooked: Pocket Fishing. We want to thank everyone for their great posts and feedback. A few weeks back, when we noticed that there wasn't a fishing application on the app store we decided that this was unacceptable and decided to get proactive and make one ourselves. We felt that if it was going to get made we should go all-out and try to make it as realistic as possible. This is why we placed so much of an emphasis on elements like changing your gear, having several times of day, and making sure the lakes were stocked with the fish species you would actually find in those locations. The gameplay mode is kind of like the foundation that we hope to build off of. There are many things we have planned for the future but we wanted to go ahead and release it for a low-price so that people could get started fishing while we continue to work details out here.

As for the reeling bug that some of you mentioned, we have already found it, addressed it, and are waiting on apple to release the first update. As soon as that gets released the problem will no-longer exist. In the meantime rest assured that the fix is on its way.

If anyone has any further questions or concerns first checkout our website at www.pocketfishing.com. If your problems cannot be resolved with the information in the support section, feel free to email us at support@pocketfishing.com.

Thanks again and we would appreciate it if you could spread the word about Hooked: Pocket Fishing to everyone you know!

-Ryan
www.pocketfishing.com
Old 10-11-2008, 06:34 PM

Hello Ryan- nice to hear from you. Congratulations on a great app. I would really like to know what you think of my suggestions above. Might they be implemented in a future update?
Old 10-12-2008, 09:41 AM

Default User Ideas

Howdy Gang,
Ben and I are always welcoming user feedback. To reach us, just email support@pocketfishing.com. I should mention though, that Apple has given developers the advice that any ideas submitted by users to developers become the property of the developers if implemented. That being said, yes it is very likely that we will implement your suggestions. I can't comment at this time as to when they will be added and if they are added, how exact to your description they will be, but I can assure you that we definitely are thinking along the same lines as you are. I encourage you to send us any ideas in the future that you might like seeing implemented. We may not be able to respond to everyone's email due to the volume of emails we are getting but we will certainly do our best. Hope you continue to enjoy Hooked: Pocket Fishing!
-Ryan
Old 10-19-2008, 04:40 AM

Version 1.0.1 available from this morning. Stability bug fixes.

Working great so far. Now we just need some improvements like the window showing the bait underwater not appearing till you hear the splash of it actually hitting the water. Still enjoy this game- it's good!

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 10-19-2008 at 04:47 AM..
Old 10-24-2008, 01:11 PM

I wonder what Ryan and Ben think of iFishing. Have you guys tried it?