★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Free game engine?

02-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Free game engine?

Hello everyone! I am beginning iPhone programming with tons of help from Schenk Studios. I was wondering if there was like a place to design graphics and easily put them in a game, maybe an engine, something like that. As you can see, my strong point is not game engine, graphic stuff. Just looking for a program for something like that. Thank you!!!!
02-13-2009, 07:09 AM
Send a message via ICQ to brewstermax Send a message via AIM to brewstermax Send a message via MSN to brewstermax Send a message via Yahoo to brewstermax
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSpentYouth View Post
Hello everyone! I am beginning iPhone programming with tons of help from Schenk Studios. I was wondering if there was like a place to design graphics and easily put them in a game, maybe an engine, something like that. As you can see, my strong point is not game engine, graphic stuff. Just looking for a program for something like that. Thank you!!!!
Umm, maybe the SDK, and Photoshop. The SDK makes it dead simple to link to images and graphics. If you want an engine, free isn't going to happen.

02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
It's not free should you decide to sell your application, but for testing purposes you could try this engine: http://www.edgelib.com/index.php?node=10

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
02-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Thank you! I guess I don't know what I am talking about. Thanks for the feedback.
02-13-2009, 02:36 PM
The bottom line is you cant make a game without doing at least a little coding. However there are free engines out there, such as 'oolong' and 'si02'.

Kevin Calderone - @bovinedragon
Trace 2 is Out!
02-13-2009, 02:54 PM
02-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Send a message via AIM to Jelkster
how easy/hard is it to develop an engine without being a mathematician? that's cool that there are apparently free ones out there. but im sure i cant just step into this with basically no graphical programming experience outside of drawing shapes and stuff...OR CAN I?....
02-13-2009, 03:24 PM
You don't need much math unless you're planning on building a 3D engine, but if you're just starting out 3D is not the right place to be anyway. No matter what your end goal is, though, you've got to start somewhere. As brewstermax suggested, get the iPhone SDK. I'm sure the thing comes with tutorials. I don't know how much programming experience the tutorials assume you have, but if they seem too complex, either pick up a book or scour the net for resources on beginner Objective-C programming. I would worry about the basics of programming before you concern yourself with graphics.

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
02-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Send a message via AIM to Jelkster
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
You don't need much math unless you're planning on building a 3D engine, but if you're just starting out 3D is not the right place to be anyway. No matter what your end goal is, though, you've got to start somewhere. As brewstermax suggested, get the iPhone SDK. I'm sure the thing comes with tutorials. I don't know how much programming experience the tutorials assume you have, but if they seem too complex, either pick up a book or scour the net for resources on beginner Objective-C programming. I would worry about the basics of programming before you concern yourself with graphics.
thanks for the advice. i will be picking up an objective-c book. i do have a lot of experience with java programming, as that is what i did the majority of my undergrad in computer science. i started out in c++ but then when i moved to java/c#, i never looked back.
02-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelkster View Post
how easy/hard is it to develop an engine without being a mathematician? that's cool that there are apparently free ones out there. but im sure i cant just step into this with basically no graphical programming experience outside of drawing shapes and stuff...OR CAN I?....
You can get going with CoreAnimation.. makes it pretty easy to move stuff around the screen. UIImageView makes it pretty trivial to load up an image and display it.

Things like advanced collision detection + physics, probably best to start with something like Cocos2D.