★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Do graphics matter in a TD game?

View Poll Results: How much do graphics matter to you in a TD game?
I only buy TD games with the best graphics 13 15.12%
I prefer TD games with good graphics over others 53 61.63%
I don't really care about the graphics...I just like TD games 3 3.49%
It is only about the quality of the TD game...graphics don't matter 17 19.77%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll
02-13-2009, 10:02 AM
Do graphics matter in a TD game?

I am really just posting this for my own curiosity. I own about every TD game there is for the iphone, and I notice that there are some with great graphics (7 cities, Fieldrunners), some with OK graphics (Creeps, Besiegement), and some with poor graphics (iTD, TowerDefend).

Anyway, that is just my opinion of the graphics for these games. I noticed that some people swear by iTD or Besiegement even though they are blown out of the water with graphics in other games.

So the questions is this...how much do graphics matter to you in a TD game?
02-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Graphics aren't a factor for me in a TD game. Personally, I love iTD and it's graphics. Gameplay is the true factor.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread

02-13-2009, 10:06 AM
I think the Graphics shuld not be too bad, the important things are:
-lots of towers
-lots of maps
02-13-2009, 10:17 AM
I want to look at something pretty. But functionality and features and a good user interface must also be present. I like how Fieldrunners looks, but I don't play it because it lacks content. I play 7 Cities often because it has depth and looks great. Besiegement might have the best content, but it looks so ugly and controls so bad, that I lost interest immediately (I know, they are working on that!). Creeps looks nice, but similar to Fieldrunners it feels repetive and I lost interest very fast. And so it goes on and on.

Of course, the real answer to your question is "it depends". Here are many people which like Besiegement because of the content, number of towers etc. I hate it . There are also many people who like Fieldrunners just for being easy and looking nice. Many hate Fieldrunners for being easy and offering nothing else than looking nice.

But I think, on a platform like the iPhone, which defines itself as less-is-more with a shiny OS and a shiny GUI, the different apps have to blend in nicely. Besiegment fails miserably, while many other games feel at home on this platform. They don't have to have realistic graphics like Fieldrunners, but they have to have graphics and a user interface which just "feel right". Take a look at this image: http://twitpic.com/oxyb . This is a real screenshot from a real game. I think that nothing describes this better than "EPIC FAIL". There couldn't be something more worse, something which blends less with everything the iPhone stands for, than this game. Even the weapon screen in iShoot, which includes no design at all, looks and feels better than this screenshot.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
02-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I like the iTD graphics, I think they are very clear and they contribute to the playability. I don't think the plain graphics of td games like Mote-M, Firewall or Tap Defense matter so much. The readability is more important, and if there is anything to fix in the above games I'd hope for a bit larger graphics. 7 Cities has small graphics too, but they have managed to get the artwork just right (and the zoom helps, too).

I haven't played Fieldrunners but in the screenshots the graphics look a bit messy and busy, but guess they look better live

Last edited by cptlockheed; 02-13-2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Typos
02-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Mote-M has decent graphics, but I just couldn't get into the game. DELETED.

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
02-13-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't think it really matters, but I do find it funny that in FFCD the harder levels (W-1, W-2, W-3) the character sprites seem to get more polished... Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me???

Gamecenter:1337brian
02-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Graphics matter in any type of game.
But it has disadvantage, like fieldrunnners, it cant have fast forward button ..

My Mafia Live Code: 163 810 991
Let's kill them all !!!
02-13-2009, 11:31 AM
if you like tower defense games then you should try desktop tower defense if you havnet already. this is the first tower defense game i played and still my favorite overall. i wish someone would bring this to the idevices. in my opinion, its way better than any other TD game in the appstore even though the graphics stink.
02-13-2009, 12:00 PM
What i enjoy the most about td games is when they support a good amount of maps and towers/upgrades so there is a vast difference in possible strategies. Also the game has to be somewhat balanced.

Here's the catch. Generally i don't have to have top notch graphics to enjoy a game, but if the graphics are good that can considerably up the fun. Once again to make this clearer:
good graphics NOT EQUAL good game
bad graphics NOT EQUAL bad game, but
good graphics POSSIBLY better experience.

Fed up with all the casual games on the iDevice and in need of a new twist to the RPG genre? You can have an influence on the game with your ideas! For more info have a look at: Thread on TA / The Dev's Blog