★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is Unity3D not permitted now?

04-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Is Unity3D not permitted now?

Looks like there is a change to section 3.3.1 of the iPhone Developer
Program License Agreement

Here is John Gruber's take on it.
04-08-2010, 05:29 PM
That would mean less 100 MB 'match 3' games. So what?
If somebody can really develop applications/games, whether Unity is allowed or not would not make a difference. Besides, there are lots of free engines for the iPhone.

Last edited by Carlos; 04-08-2010 at 05:35 PM.

04-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Send a message via MSN to MindJuice Send a message via Skype™ to MindJuice
Hmmmm...I wonder if Lua falls into this category too.

I've been looking at the iPhone Wax version of Lua for some future titles, so I guess I had better get a definitive answer to this from Apple.
04-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Send a message via AIM to Firestar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
That would mean less 100 MB 'match 3' games. So what?
If somebody can really develop applications/games, whether Unity is allowed or not would not make a difference. Besides, there are lots of free engines for the iPhone.
There are very good Unity games out there too though - take Ravensword as an example.
04-08-2010, 07:27 PM
My game (not yet released) has been loved by testers, and is based on Unity. Don’t say “so what” about Unity if you’re not truly informed: it’s an incredible tool. And I’ve put a ton of time and money into this game, which is not yet-another-anything. If I do say so myself.

A team of people could spend 10 times as long developing my game and not need Unity. But how do I pay them? I’m one person with an idea, not a rich corporation (nor do I want to be indebted to one, nor have to become a project manager with other people between my vision and the player).

Without Unity, my game and many other fine games (like Ravensword, Battle Bears, Samurai: Way of the Warrior, Zombieville USA, 10 Balls 7 Cups, Monster Trucks Nitro 2, and SkeeBall) will not exist. There’s a lot of creativity out there, and it does the platform no good to waste it.

Unity’s early days were rocky on the iPhone, but things move fast. It’s a great engine—and you can’t even tell which games use it (they don’t all have the logo). And crappy apps can come from ANY source, even Xcode alone. Let a game succeed or fail based on its quality.

I’ve written to Apple hoping for clarification.

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)

Last edited by Adams Immersive; 04-08-2010 at 08:39 PM.
04-08-2010, 08:54 PM
I totally agree. I hope they write back...

My guess is that Unity will be fine, though I'm also working on a game in Unity so maybe I'm being too optimistic.

-Angelo

Yobonja's latest game: Tap Party!
04-08-2010, 09:20 PM
is this confirmed by Apple or just some rumors from internet?

I would be really really surprised if Apple bans 3rd party engines like Unity, which at the end of the day still builds XCode project.

Start your engines gentlemen, Vector Rally is out!

---
Twitter: http://twitter.com/VectorRally
04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm looking forward to several unity games. And, I already own several I love.
04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eJayStudios View Post
is this confirmed by Apple or just some rumors from internet?

I would be really really surprised if Apple bans 3rd party engines like Unity, which at the end of the day still builds XCode project.
The language of the new agreement is confirmed. The implications are open, but it’s hard to find an interpretation of them that allows Unity. Now, Apple could still re-word it to improve the situation!

P.S. Another Daring Fireball article, clarifying Apple’s likely motivations (although he doesn’t seem to know much about Unity—it isn’t mentioned):
http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/wh...ed_section_331

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: DotSpace (Forum thread)
04-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Here's a tweet from Tom Higgins:
"To those concerned about #iphone OS4 terms and if/how it affects #unity3d, please hang tight, we're looking into things. DM me if necessary."

Yobonja's latest game: Tap Party!