★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Michael Vargas
  • Genre: Kids
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 11.8 MB
  • Version: 1.03
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Crab fishing is a deadly business -- especially for the crab!

Crawl quickly through the relentless and increasingly difficult platforms to avoid the crab fishermen, but don't get ahead of yourself or you'll lose your footing! Along the way, you'll find rare treasures and power-ups, but also many hazards!

<><><><><><>

Features

OpenFeint integration for sharing your high scores with your friends and the world
Several different platform types, each presenting a different challenge
Several different bonus items including the "Invincibubble" which protects you from hazards
Simple controls, addictive gameplay!
Highly catchy music and sound effects which can both be enabled/disabled from the main screen.
Cute, cartoony art style

<><><><><><>

Controls

Tilt left to walk left, tilt right to walk right -- it's that simple!

<><><><><><>

Hazards

Giant Clam: Traps you inside for a few seconds
Jellyfish: Stings you, making you lose control for a couple seconds
Squid: Sprays temporarily-blinding ink
Vent platform: Pushes you upward when you step on it
School of fish: Provides a temporary platform until the fish scatter
Seaweed platform: Slows your movement

Bonuses:

Invincibubble: Provides you with temporary invincibility against the Giant Clam, Jellyfish, Squid, Vent platform, and Seaweed platform.
Stopwatch: Temporarily slows down the platform scrolling speed
Pearl: Awards 50 points
Treasure Chest: Awards 100 points
Ancient Scroll: Awards 150 points

<><><><><><>

Credits

Created by Funcode. Visit www.funcode.net for more great apps!

Music and sound composed by Bernadette Choy. See more of her work at http://www.bernchoy.com.

Art by Anna Au.

vargonian's comments:
Hi, I wanted to share the game I've recently released, Crab Crawl:

Youtube link | Pop Up

And here are some promo codes!

7H4N3R9NTME3
WLN473HKXR7F
3LMTPATWFMAK
6NEFKAMTMMTK
N7HWXKEKTYNW
04-09-2010, 08:42 PM
6NEFKAMTMMTK ... Thanks!!!

From the video the game looks very interesting!!!
I'll leave a review in iTunes soon!!
Good luck with your game vargonian!

Twitter : [@John_Hasio]
iPhoneHellas Review Team member

04-09-2010, 08:47 PM
looks really cute, got N7HWXKEKTYNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.
04-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Send a message via ICQ to rogerchiu Send a message via MSN to rogerchiu Send a message via Skype™ to rogerchiu
All gone.

Beta Tested: 34 apps and games.
My Blog
04-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Looks like a similar game to bounce down
04-10-2010, 09:37 AM
While in the style of the countless "Fall Down" games, I think there is enough original stuff that it might be worth a try, good going.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
04-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
While in the style of the countless "Fall Down" games, I think there is enough original stuff that it might be worth a try, good going.
yeah just got this and it plays alot better than bounce down
04-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks everyone, I definitely appreciate any feedback/requests to make the game more fun. Comments about gameplay or aesthetics are always welcome.
04-11-2010, 05:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vargonian View Post
Thanks everyone, I definitely appreciate any feedback/requests to make the game more fun. Comments about gameplay or aesthetics are always welcome.
Nice game

But I wish there was a countdown or startbutton, I never know when the game starts.

>
It should be a standard feature that you can turn on/off in-game music and sound effects separately in all games
!
04-11-2010, 11:29 AM
Game Impressions

Crab Crawl is another one of those "simply to play, challenging, play one more time" type of games.

Keep your little crab from being captured by crab fisherman by tilting to let him continuously descend, but be careful...don't let him fall past the bottom of the screen to his death either.

Along your way, you must avoid many hazards while trying to pick up pearls, treasure chests, and parchment pieces for extra points. Many things will try to hinder your crab including clams that you must shake to escape, jellyfish that will stun and make you lose control, squid that cloud the screen with ink, platforms made of schools of fish that will only hold for a second, and seaweed that slows you down.

You do have a couple of powerups to help you out: invincibubbles will temporarily make you invincible to all the hazards and clocks that will slow down the pace of the platforms.

The tilting mechanism works really well and is very reponsive so be careful that you don't panic and start wildly tilting or your little crab will just start zooming across the screen. You only need to make small movements so you won't look weird playing this in public. Also, the screen wraps so if you go too far to one side or another, you'll just pop out on the other side...this is something that can add to the strategy of trying to avoid hazards.

There are global leaderboards via OpenFeint. I'd love to see some achievements added in as well.

Stuff I really liked:
-the simple, but cute graphics
-the background music and sounds all give the game a really neat "arcade" feel to them...love the "game over" sound
-you can play the whole game with one hand...great for a bathroom game
-global leaderboards
-responsive tilt...I'm not a big fan of tilt, but it's well done here

Stuff I feel could be tweaked:
-there's no offline leaderboard so if you can't access OpenFeint, you won't at least have your own scores to compare to...also I don't know if the game will submit your offline scores to the OpenFeint leaderboards when you re-connect
-what if the invincibubbles kept you from falling past the bottom of the screen and you just floated there until a platform caught you or the powerup ran out?
-there so many hazards, but would love to see more powerups...maybe a shark powerup that frightens all the squid, jellyfish, and clams away temporarily?
-the main menu music, loops once and then quits if you stay on the main menu

Overall, Crab Crawl is a really fun "one more time" game. It's cute, controls well, and has global leaderboards. Each game is different due to the random generation of platforms and hazards making it a fresh experience each time.

(also posted review in itunes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
I don't want to alarm anyone, but I just played this, felt a tingle, rushed to the bathroom, and urinated rainbows and glitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysin View Post
Yesss, I'm off for a leak to see if the same happens for me.