★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Your Own Music

10-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Your Own Music

Hi -

I'd love to see a list of games that allow you to play your own music during game play.

I know Atari Super Breakout does but are there others?
10-10-2008, 10:51 PM
You can on all of them.
All you do is get into the app, hit the home button twice so the little music thing comes up and then you hit play and bam. Your music

10-11-2008, 12:04 AM
alternatively if you are using your headphones just hit the button your music should resume.

You can turn the music off in Auroa Feint in the iPhone settings. I don't know for the others But for the most part just disable the sound (if they allow it) and open up your iPod.
10-11-2008, 04:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah21c View Post
You can on all of them.
All you do is get into the app, hit the home button twice so the little music thing comes up and then you hit play and bam. Your music
Incorrect. Some games don't allow you to disable it's own sound effects/music and therefore, don't allow you to play your own music. If you tap Home twice and play your music then return to one of these games, your music would just stop again.
It would be excellent if the iPhone/Touch allowed the user to have sound effects of a game AND their own music playing at the same time. Alas, at the moment it is either one or the other.
10-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Actually, some games (like Hiqup) play their sound effects on top of your music.
10-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Yes, I want games to play their sound effects on top of your own music and it should be automatic - if music is playing when the game is started, it should let the music play and should suppress it's own music, without suppressing its sound effects.

Ms. Pac-Man is one game that supports this. Actually, it still plays its music, but in Ms. Pac-Man the music is an intro that is only played for a few seconds at the start of your game, so that's fine.
10-13-2008, 12:13 AM
The example with the headphone-button works only sometimes. Tetris for example prefers to crash or open the iPod app, when you click on the button. For some apps however, it works. But this is on the same level as an undocumented feature...

I took a look at the first of my three homescreens with games:

These apps automatically hide their game music, if an iPod is running and play the sound effects on top of the iPod
- Trism
- Hiqup
- BeeCells

These let you manually switch off the game music, which results in sound effects on top of the iPod:
- Bejeweled
- All Atari games
- Galcon

These Apps don't get it:
- All Gameloft games (they added the possibility to complete disable sound effects and music. So they let your own music playing, but without game sound effects)
- All Freeverse games
- GTS World Racing (they added the possibility to complete disable sound effects and music. So they let your own music playing, but without game sound effects)
- Numba (fades the iPod out, even if you disabled the music. You can manually activate the iPod with the headphone buttons and then the game sound effects play on top of your iPod music)
- Trace (no options at all)
- Squares (they added the possibility to complete disable sound effects and music. So they let your own music playing, but without game sound effects. Will change in one of the next updates.)
- Motion X Poker (will change in one of the next updates)
10-16-2008, 08:57 AM
I can't believe I never tried this! I am such a dope! The only game I've got that turns my music back off when I start it within the app is Scrabble. Everything else will replace the sound with my tunes. It'd be nice to hear the sound effects along with it, but the choice between the 2 is SO much better than no choice at all.

BTW Funky punch lets you turn off the music, but your own music STILL cancels out the effects. So that's not exasctly the variable. johnbowers & moopf make it real clear how it's done in this thread. I don't know what I'm talking about, but it doesn't sound too difficult.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...t=apple+charge

Chopper does the music & sound effects thing, as does Aurora Feint, Hiqup, & Cookie Solitaire.

Ironically Rock'n'Roll crashes when you try to play music with it. Ha!

Last edited by davidmdowning42; 10-16-2008 at 09:18 AM.
10-16-2008, 09:06 AM
If you also didn't notice : If you play a video, power off the iPhone and then tap play on the headphone only the audio of the video starts playing. So you can listen to your movies/podcasts.

--
taptoplay.de

Plus+: Lakeshore / OpenFeint & Game Center: taptoplay.de
10-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Awesome! Thanks so much!