★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Apple Removes 'Rate on Delete' for Apps

04-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Apple Removes 'Rate on Delete' for Apps

Rejoice and be glad, developers, 'Rate on Delete' is gone.

Developers will be pleased to learn that Apple has removed a controversial "Rate on Delete" feature from iPhone 4. Starting in iPhone 2.2, when a user deleted an App from their iPhone, the operating system would ask the user to rate a App using the 1-5 star rating system in the App Store. The move was presumably meant to increase rating participation in the App Store.

However, many developers were unhappy with the system as they felt it skewed the ratings downwards. The system increased the number of ratings from customers who were likely unhappy with an app, while those who kept an app on their iPhone would never be prompted for a rating.

Life Is Too Short To Be Wordy
04-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Thank god! One of the most annoying features of 3.0 software

04-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Send a message via AIM to RttaM Send a message via Yahoo to RttaM
Yeah I noticed this while removing an application, I was like "What, why did i see the rating thing" then I just shook it off as nothing and continued on with my day.
04-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Yes! Finally good apps won't have terrible ratings from whiny kids, stupid customers, and others...
04-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah, definitely a step in the right direction.

Derek van Vliet
04-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to mobile1up
Originally Posted by Tocarina View Post
Yes! Finally good apps won't have terrible ratings from whiny kids, stupid customers, and others...
it is a pity they don't do a small update/patch to the minor versions of 2.x and 3.x to do the same while they are at it. one can only hope.

// Aaron Ardiri
Mobile 1UP is a proud indie developer - support us!
developer of Caveman / Caveman HD and GW Series
04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Might be a bug

I've noticed (in 3.0) that the App Store categories are now showing the icon of the top paid app instead of the top free app, that's a welcome change too.
04-11-2010, 06:42 PM
It's about damn time. I thought that was a ridiculous idea from day one for the very reason developers have been complaining about it. I'm annoyed that it took them this long to realize rate-on-delete was a bad idea, but at least they've finally acknowledged it.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
04-11-2010, 07:14 PM
I think Apple's idea was to try to force prices up. The idea being that free and maybe 99c apps would drown under 1 star ratings while apps where users had invested more money would be less likely to be deleted and therefore more likely to be rated higher.

It didn't bring prices up and has only served to make ratings almost irrelevent, specially in the free charts where there are often apps with more one star reviews than anything else in the top ten.

-=< Fat Owl With A Jetpack >=-
-=< Topia World Builder >=-
-=< Twitter >=-
-=< Blog >=-
04-11-2010, 09:30 PM
It's about time! Who would rate an app that's ready for deletion? As a customer, I'd rather rate an app I'm going to keep rather than something I'm about to delete.