★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Shocked by publisher conduct on charging *AGAIN* for iPad games

04-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Shocked by publisher conduct on charging *AGAIN* for iPad games

I only just managed to get my hands on an ipad and i love it.

Everything was perfect until i realized how many of the games i brought on the iphone have so called "HD" versions that i will have to pay again. I know i know, the ipad appstore section was live for awhile, but it really didn't hit me until I got an ipad to sync my old purchases in.

As much as i love flight control and all the Gameloft games, i'm not going to pay for the same game again!! Flight control is $5 on ipad??!?!? I mean, didn't they earned millions from that game, couldn't they at least have the decency to update the build to support ipad since they obviously already earned a ton of profit on it. Why rape your loyal customers again? It isn't even a very different platform. It is based on the same OS and developer kit.

I'm kinda pissed off and this "pay for the same game again on ipad" thing really left a bad taste. As much as i love Gameloft, i would think very hard about buying their iphone games in the future because its not going to be optimized for my new shiny ipad and playing the iphone games 2X on ipad really sucks. I know because i got a lot of iphone games that are updated to ipad's fully resolution and they are all beautiful compared to flight control blown up 2X on ipad.

Its not all lost. Some respectable developers did provide free updates to optimize their games for ipad. It is ok for developers to not update their iphone games for ipad, not all games are profitable for them to bother working on anymore. I'm just really pissed at those that tries to ripe/rape their loyal players by charging a lot more money for their old games on ipad.
04-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Another iPad thread...........you could make a thread making a list of iPad threads.....

04-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Have you bought Flight Control on the iPad?

3 or so new, iPad-specific maps, much better graphics, two-player splitscreen mode, I believe there is a co-op mode, and there's a totally new user interface.

I'm really not sure what you're complaining about.
04-11-2010, 06:54 PM
I definitely agree with you. I don't think it's too hard for developers to do both:

- give you a higher resolution version of the iPhone game you've already purchased for free,
- and release a brand new version with new features and new functionality especially built for the iPad that you would have to pay for.
04-11-2010, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone1007 View Post
Have you bought Flight Control on the iPad?

3 or so new, iPad-specific maps, much better graphics, two-player splitscreen mode, I believe there is a co-op mode, and there's a totally new user interface.

I'm really not sure what you're complaining about.
Well, a lot of people know what i'm complaining about, apparently not you.

The multiplayer mode is already in the iphone version. Charging 500% for some blown up graphics and a few maps isn't really much of a justification. Adding maps for games like Nova is difficult. But of all games, adding maps might be the easiest thing to do for a game like flight control. This is just a money grab whichever way you slice or dice it and a lot of people are going along with it. We all just love to spend money don't we.
04-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monk666 View Post
Well, a lot of people know what i'm complaining about, apparently not you.

The multiplayer mode is already in the iphone version. Charging 500% for some blown up graphics and a few maps isn't really much of a justification. Adding maps for games like Nova is difficult. But of all games, adding maps might be the easiest thing to do for a game like flight control. This is just a money grab whichever way you slice or dice it and a lot of people are going along with it. We all just love to spend money don't we.
Adding four new maps, multiplayer on the Same device and enhanced graphics (one map 3d) seems like a steal to the dsiware version.
04-11-2010, 09:26 PM
"Flight Control" was only .99 on the iPhone and I spent hours playing it. Spending $5 for the HD version (especially with all of the additional content) felt like I was finally paying the developer what I should have payed initially.
However, spending $12.99 for the HD version of Red Alert after spending $10 (plus DLC) for the iPhone version just was too much to bear...

My devices: iPad, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS; 4G iPod Touch; iPhone 3G; & finally, 1G iPhone
04-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Don't buy the HD version then... Redownload on the ipad and play the regular version you initially and rightly paid for.
04-12-2010, 12:39 AM
you have a choice, your not being forced to rebuy the apps. just download the iphone version again for free and click x2 on the bottom right
04-12-2010, 12:48 AM
Let's apply this to the hardware, shall we?
"I'm shocked that Apple dares to charge for the iPad! I already paid for the iPhone and they only gave it a larger screen. They should give it to me for free!"