★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Sneak Preview: Our new word game "Moxie"

02-14-2009, 08:35 AM
#1
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 458
Sneak Preview: Our new word game "Moxie"

Hi Everyone,



Congratulations to MASTER SHAKE who won a free copy of our new game "Moxie" this morning by guessing the name. Way to go!

The game is due out in week or so. As promised here is a screenshot:



To my knowledge there is no game quite like "Moxie" on the App store. Personally, I think it's my best game yet. It's not a graphics tour-de-force, but it's just fun and makes you want to go back and try to beat your high score.

More details to follow...

Christopher York
Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.

Last edited by blue ox; 02-14-2009 at 08:42 AM.
02-14-2009, 08:40 AM
#2
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 423
Send a message via MSN to Lukearcade22
Look good

Can't wait to purchase it, it looks simple yet addictive

02-14-2009, 05:21 PM
#3
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 4,040
Has a very nice, western look about it. Looking forward to seeing this one released. How much is it going to cost?

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
02-14-2009, 05:37 PM
#4
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointOfLight View Post
Has a very nice, western look about it. Looking forward to seeing this one released. How much is it going to cost?
I haven't made the final decision on price. I will put it on sale when first released for $0.99 for a few days, then it will be either $1.99 or $2.99.

Thanks for the nice comment on the look! Interesting that you see it as Western...basically was just going for "old timey." I was even going to include some ragtime music, but I found it kind of distracting during the game play.

Christopher York
Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.

Last edited by blue ox; 02-14-2009 at 05:46 PM.
02-15-2009, 08:28 AM
#5
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 458
How To Play Moxie:

You start the game with 52 letters. These letters like a deck of cards in the sense that they are the same for every game and shuffled at the beginning of the game.

You go through the letters one at a time and place them in the squares to form 3, 4, and five letter words. You can place a letter anywhere, and even replace a letter that is already on the board.

Once you form a word, that row is "locked". Any new letters placed in that row must form a new word, either by extending the current word or replacing one of the letters in the word. (Example: change "MAR" to "TAR" or to "MART")

If you add a letter and it does not form a word, that is called a "Twaddle" and points are deducted and the row is "unlocked" so that you may freely add letters anywhere without penalty until the row is "locked" again.

There is also a list of 52 "Moxie Words." Forming a Moxie word gives you a bonus. The longer the word, the higher the bonus.

There is a lot of strategy in this game and a lot of decision making. It helps to know a lot of words, but it is also very important to play the right strategy in order to score high.

We've found it to be very fun, and if you like word games, I think you'll enjoy it as a refreshing change from all the "Wurdle" clones and anagram games out there.

Share and enjoy,

Christopher York
Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.

Last edited by blue ox; 02-15-2009 at 01:07 PM.
02-15-2009, 08:37 AM
#6
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 208
Well the look didn't really appeal to me (it's clean and neat, but just not my style...) but the game description sounds very interesting. It's really a new take on word games and all, but i'd also like to try that out first. Will there be a lite version?

Fed up with all the casual games on the iDevice and in need of a new twist to the RPG genre? You can have an influence on the game with your ideas! For more info have a look at: Thread on TA / The Dev's Blog
02-15-2009, 01:06 PM
#7
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
Well the look didn't really appeal to me (it's clean and neat, but just not my style...) but the game description sounds very interesting. It's really a new take on word games and all, but i'd also like to try that out first. Will there be a lite version?
Hi Butters,

At this time there are no plans for a Lite version, which is a first for me as all my other products have a Lite version.

I know that style is a very subjective matter in games, and not all visuals or themes will appeal to all users. I really didn't want to pull too much of an outside theme into the game so not to risk alienating folks that theme didn't appeal to. I hope this was not the wrong decision. There is some more color and animations introduced in the game play, which I probably should make sure are visible in the screen shots I present on iTunes.

I would very much appreciate hearing your ideas (or anyone else's for that matter) on ways to improve the look of the game.

Share and enjoy,

Christopher York
Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.
02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
#8
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 458
I completed the sound effects for Moxie last night. All that remains is to create a tutorial and Moxie will be ready for release. It should hit the App store very soon now!

Christopher York
Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.
02-17-2009, 06:28 AM
#9
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue ox View Post
Hi Butters,

At this time there are no plans for a Lite version, which is a first for me as all my other products have a Lite version.

I know that style is a very subjective matter in games, and not all visuals or themes will appeal to all users. I really didn't want to pull too much of an outside theme into the game so not to risk alienating folks that theme didn't appeal to. I hope this was not the wrong decision. There is some more color and animations introduced in the game play, which I probably should make sure are visible in the screen shots I present on iTunes.

I would very much appreciate hearing your ideas (or anyone else's for that matter) on ways to improve the look of the game.

Share and enjoy,
I haven't seen the full game yet (at least a yt-video would be nice when there will be no lite version) and so i cannot really comment on something to make it better. Imo the graphics are ok in the screenshots. As i said it's not my style, but it's not like they were hideous or something.

Only thing i can say is to stick with one theme you decided on. There is nothing worse than a game that is filled with graphics that do not seem to belong in there. Keep it clean and neat and your set.

Fed up with all the casual games on the iDevice and in need of a new twist to the RPG genre? You can have an influence on the game with your ideas! For more info have a look at: Thread on TA / The Dev's Blog
02-17-2009, 08:41 AM
#10
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by butters View Post
I haven't seen the full game yet (at least a yt-video would be nice when there will be no lite version) and so i cannot really comment on something to make it better.
I uploaded a YouTube video yesterday, and will post it on this forum when it becomes available.

Christopher York
Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.