★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Puzzle Chess

04-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Puzzle Chess

Anyone play Puzzle Chess yet? How do you guys like the game?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puzzle-chess/id361999941?mt=8

http://415games.com/puzzle-chess/

Last edited by Lupan The 3rd; 04-14-2010 at 01:08 AM.
04-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupan The 3rd View Post
Anyone play Puzzle Chess yet? How do you guys like the game?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/puzzle-chess/id361999941?mt=8

http://415games.com/puzzle-chess/
I just bought it and I'll try to play it and post a review soon. It's a very cool concept for a game. I'm also tempted to try out Puzzle Domino by the same developers.

I wonder if anyone has tried Puzzle Chess blown up on the iPad, and I wonder if it is not too blurry? As an aside, I really like the fact that TChess Pro made their app universal so you do not have to buy 2 separate versions for iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch.

Anyway, when I typed Puzzle Chess into the iTunes search bar, it was only the 12th of many apps to come up and I almost overlooked it. I hope that the developers can do something about that in order to help their sales.

04-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi jase23,

Puzzle Chess blown up on the iPad plays great and looks okay. We are busy working on the iPad version of Puzzle Chess right now and hopefully will be out with that version sometime this summer with native art for iPad. So it should look really great!

We agree Puzzle Chess is lower on the App Store, which is unfortunate. And you would think that if you type in "Puzzle Chess" we would be the first to show up. We are working on getting it to climb the ranks. But we think how high you are ranked is based primarily on sales, since we just came out we might need to accumulate more sales before we are able to knock some of the Chess Games that have been out on the app store longer but we are definitely working on getting the game to show up on the first page!

Thanks for the feedback! And let us know what you think of the game, as well as Puzzle Domino if you like.

If you sign up on Facebook, www.facebook.com/415games we can also send you a promo code, through the "send a message" feature for the game of your choice. "Puzzle Domino" or "Puzzle Chess."

Enjoy!

-Lupan

Last edited by Lupan The 3rd; 04-26-2010 at 12:12 AM.
04-26-2010, 12:48 AM
I finally started playing Puzzle Chess and I must say it's very cool! Great concept, and well executed. I haven't gotten far, but I will write a review for it once I've spent more time with it.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
04-26-2010, 02:36 AM
I haven't really bought it yet but I have a suggestion if it's alright.
I think that the score/level number font should be changed. It's been used a bunch of times (for example, The Moron Test) and I kinda get annoyed when I see it this often.
It isn't really NEEDED, but IMHO I think it would be more unique with a different font.
04-26-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi medianotzu,

Thanks for playing the game, can't wait to hear what you think!

If you want a promo code for Puzzle Domino, join us on Facebook and I'll send you a code!

-Lupan
04-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi OctopodSquad,

Duly noted. Unfortunately, for the iPad version we probably have to use the same font just to keep things thematic but we will avoid that font from now on.

Thanks OctopodSquad!

Come join us on www.facebook.com/415games and we can send you a promo code for Puzzle Domino or Puzzle Chess your choice.

Best,
Lupan
04-27-2010, 10:53 AM
I did get to play it, and it's a very nice game. The concept is great, and I feel that you have just begun to scratch the surface of the potential for this type of game.There are many cool and creative things about your game, and the good news is that there is almost limitless opportunities for improvements and further development. I would recommend that everyone who knows how to play chess or has an interest in learning the chess moves should get this game. It's fun.

Obviously the larger screen of the iPad really would add a lot to a game such as this with a 64 square chessboard.

As for the iTunes search issue, you know, you really would be better off with a different name. When I think of "puzzle chess", I think of a game in which you solve a mate in 2, or even a King + P vs. King endgame. And I think there are some other games in the app store where you have to move a Knight so that it visits every square of whatever. That would be more of a "puzzle chess" game.

What you have is more of an adventure or fantasy-type game, so I think that a name such as "Adventure Chess," "Fantasy Chess" or "Danger Chess" or even something more creative and unusual would be a lot more descriptive and memorable. I mean, had they given the game "Swords and Poker" the alternative name of "puzzle poker," I don't think that it would have helped its App Store sales!
04-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi jase23,

Thanks for playing the game and we are excited that you had fun playing it. I agree that so far we have just scratched the surface of this type of gaming. We are busy working on more games and hope to add more and more twists and greater depth to this genre of gaming.

Thank you for explaining some of the iTunes issues. I think you are right that the name itself might be a bit general so when you type it into search it pulls up a host of games with "puzzle & chess" in it. We will definitely consider your suggestions next time we name a game. I think you may be right that specific is better than general when naming. Just another lesson for a young publisher

Thanks for your suggestions. Keep them coming!

-Lupan
04-27-2010, 12:52 PM
OK, this is actually rather fun but I would like to see slightly "cleaner" boards the designs are nice but they are very "busy" at the moment.

Good luck with the game!