★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: ghost buddy -- simulates virtual 3d world

02-14-2009, 07:42 PM
ghost buddy -- simulates virtual 3d world

hey, i just noticed this new game that came out. checked it out on itunes, and noticed that it implented a virtual-reality type viewfinder. In other words, if you point your screen down, you will see the ground of the virtual graveyard. if you point up, then you will see the sky etc. Looks really interesting. Only problem is where/when to play it (not a crowded area, sitting down, lying down etc.)

what are your thoughts on it? have any of you tried it?
02-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Welcome to the forums!

App store line- http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=304868907&mt=8

http://www.slidetoplay.com/story/rip-hands-on

Was originally called R.I.P I guess

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss

02-14-2009, 07:46 PM
sorry, posted at about the same time
02-14-2009, 07:47 PM
No worries. It seemed like a cool concept, but also looked pretty boring and like I would never play it..

"Those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- The master himself, Dr. Seuss
02-14-2009, 07:58 PM
If this was made into an actual game, or if they even made the area of exploration bigger or a different theme (like a city or something) this would really be something special.

As it is, you are right. Its something cool, just not something with not much value besides showing off the capabilities of the iphone.
02-14-2009, 08:13 PM
It was released today and it already got 3 reviews (Pocket Gamer, Slide to Play, and IGN) ? What the hell?
02-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamazar View Post
It was released today and it already got 3 reviews (Pocket Gamer, Slide to Play, and IGN) ? What the hell?
apparently, this game is a remake/rename of the game r.i.p., which got those reviews.
02-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Like we said, R.I.P. isn't really a game, and it may never become one for all we know. It is, however, an interesting look at where iPhone games could be heading in the future: augmented reality.
From Slidetoplay...

My reaction....

"Meh."

It's a great idea i guess... reminds me slightly of the game i had on my MotoQ where you had to use the camera to find the fish and shoot them.. With the addition of the accelerometer, that may make the game more fun, but this is kind of the game that is best played by yourself..

Plus+ ID: Wegmans
02-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
It's a great idea i guess... reminds me slightly of the game i had on my MotoQ where you had to use the camera to find the fish and shoot them.. With the addition of the accelerometer, that may make the game more fun, but this is kind of the game that is best played by yourself..
yeah i kinda feel the same way. very interesting concept/control system, but not a particularly amazing game in itself. but id love to see other developers use this idea in different games.