★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: SRRN Games
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 8.1 MB
  • Version: 1.12
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 2.7 (3)
App description: Chimes is a musical experience, built around the intersection of sight, touch, and sound. Through a series of levels, it invites the player to solve increasingly complex puzzles, rewarding the effort with a cascade of pleasing sounds. Those sounds form the essence of the game's identity: at its core, Chimes is about producing beautiful melodies. No matter how the game is played, the result is always perfect harmony.

Chimes includes 10 puzzles and a non-stop Forever Mode, totally free of charge. But that's just the beginning! The game expands dramatically with the in-app purchase, Chimes Premium.

Chimes Premium takes Chimes to an entirely new level. It starts by adding 15 new, incredibly challenging puzzles. Then it takes Forever Mode and unlocks its full potential, adding faster, stronger obstacles to the mix.

Finally, Chimes Premium adds a brand-new gameplay mode: Stage Mode. This mode takes waves of 50 obstacles from Forever Mode and makes them a discreet stage, with one caveat: you cant miss any of them. Personally, I cant make it past stage 4. Can you?

goiMot's comments:

pocketgamer review:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhon...ws.asp?c=19949
04-14-2010, 07:55 PM
The in-game presentation (read: game menus) is pretty lame and super barebones, but the actual concept is cool. It's hard to explain but you take strategic shots at these color moving balls to wipe them out, by sending out colored expanding waves from your 'towers'. (Strategic because you try to do it in a limited amount of turns based on the ball colors.) Things make little chimes when they hit each other, and it's pretty slow paced. No frenetic action here so far at least, so it seems like a nice relaxing distraction especially for free. (I think there are level packs for in-app purchase.)

You guys need to post a video of the game here though, and IMO swap the second screenshot for the first. That first screenshot of the in-game menu is not an appealing pitch to try out the game, even if it's for free.
04-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillryu View Post
The in-game presentation (read: game menus) is pretty lame and super barebones, but the actual concept is cool.
Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, do you have any advice for the in-game menus? We deliberately wanted to keep them simple and clean, to try and avoid confusing anyone. We may have gone too far; what would you suggest?

Quote:
No frenetic action here so far at least, so it seems like a nice relaxing distraction especially for free. (I think there are level packs for in-app purchase.)
We've been working on making people aware that the in-app purchase adds both new levels AND an expanded non-stop mode. The goal, like you said, was always to be relaxing. I'm glad that artistic experience made it through, but it raises a new question:, how do I entice people to try the later levels and the expanded Forever mode, which is where (I think) the gameplay really shines?

Quote:
You guys need to post a video of the game here though, and IMO swap the second screenshot for the first. That first screenshot of the in-game menu is not an appealing pitch to try out the game, even if it's for free.
Sound feedback--I'll get on this immediately.

Thanks a ton for your reply!
04-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srrngames View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, do you have any advice for the in-game menus? We deliberately wanted to keep them simple and clean, to try and avoid confusing anyone. We may have gone too far; what would you suggest?
That's fine, and I doubt non-amazing or non-high-concept menu designs would tank a game, but the crucial mistake here is (was?) using it as your first screenshot. That's like your video game box cover being a screenshot of the in-game menu.

However, if you DO want a high concept suggestion, maybe you could have some of those concentric rings going on randomly in the background or something as a little preview of the gameplay. But my main issue was with it being the first screenshot on the app store.

Quote:
We've been working on making people aware that the in-app purchase adds both new levels AND an expanded non-stop mode. The goal, like you said, was always to be relaxing. I'm glad that artistic experience made it through, but it raises a new question:, how do I entice people to try the later levels and the expanded Forever mode, which is where (I think) the gameplay really shines?
That's a tough question. I enjoyed checking out the game briefly, but frankly my queue is full of games that I need to check out and I quickly moved on. You're only going to be able to do solid business selling level packs if you have a critical mass base of fans that can sustain longterm interest/purchases, so I think your first goal here is to attain those fans before focusing on how to raise yield on in-app purchase? Sounds like a chicken or egg problem.

Quote:
Sound feedback--I'll get on this immediately.

Thanks a ton for your reply!
No problem, sorry for the late reply, I wasn't expecting an official response here.

Last edited by phillryu; 04-19-2010 at 10:25 AM.
04-28-2010, 10:09 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Version 1.1 is out:
What's new

Weve taken everything that made Chimes great and made it even more awesome. Why? Because we love you, silly.

First, levels 1-10 have been revampednow youll get more challenging puzzles much sooner in the game. This gives you a taste of what awaits you in the coolest part of Chimesand the part weve given the most work.

The in-app purchase, Chimes Premium," adds 15 more levels to the game (six of which are brand new to this update, and devilishly challenging), but thats the tip of the iceburg.

Chimes Premium also unlocks the full potential of Forever Mode: now the waves of obstacles will get faster AND larger. We're talking three-wave, turbo-charged obstacles. But don't worry--though the action gets frenetic, the melodies are always relaxing.

And we didnt stop there. The cherry on top of Chimes Premium is its brand new Stage Mode. This mode takes waves of 50 obstacles from Forever Mode and makes them a discreet stage, with one caveat: you cant miss any of them. Personally, I cant make it past stage 4. Can you?