★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Are you tired of games that are too easy? Tired of games that don't test your abilities, games that you beat just by touching a single button over and over?

the cat rides the astrobus is a platformer made with oldschool sensibilities- it takes time to master and perfect your moves, and the challenges are not always straightforward. Using a combination of techniques, you'll learn to advance through levels that will constantly test your ability to think interdimensionally. This game is not for the faint of thinking!

FEATURES

TOWERMODE- randomly generates a level to challenge your skill! Over a million configurations await! Unlimited replayability!

LEVELMODE- over 35 levels designed to test your cat-like reflexes and cunning!

ASTROMODE- it's a secret!

CUSTOMIZABLE CAT- personalize your own cat with colors and skins! So cute!

MUSIC- experience the otherworldly music of Brother Raven's Jamie Potter, and lose yourself in the beats presented by Tokyo's own denki!

the cat rides the astrobus- 8bit pixel platforming that'll make you say meow!
04-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Interesting... I like the look of it.

04-14-2010, 11:32 PM
just bought, impressions very soon
04-15-2010, 01:00 AM
Game Impressions

I Bought this game because it reminded me of Jumpman, a recently released platformer, and in many ways they are alike, the graphics are similar though actually superior here in many ways, and the game is split into level based puzzles, but the gameplay experience isn't quite what i was expecting. while Jumpman is an action based platformer, that requires reflexes, (Cat) ,as i will now refer to it, is more puzzle oriented. These puzzle elements are well done, well designed, and should make for a great Shift-like experience. the problems i ran into are when reflexes come into play. There is an element in the game called "flipping", the player is "able" to flip the iphone toward themselves therefore inverting all blocks from black (impassable) to white (passable). this method is simply inconsistent. The problem is escalated when one needs to shift while midair. If the dev ever reads this, I would recomend putting a flip button on either side of the screen, likely making these manoeuvres
more do-able. This issue is not a game killer, as multiple tries did lead to success for me, but it may be a fun killer for some. Aside from a few other minor ruff edges, there is a lot to like here, the style, physics, and puzzles are interesting, and usually fun. If that one issue was fixed, this would be a solid entry into the puzzle platformer, but unless this goes to .99c, or the controls refined, i can't make an absolute recommendation.

Last edited by Darkstar21; 04-15-2010 at 01:16 AM.
05-06-2010, 06:29 PM
I just played the lite version

this game is like a dope trip!

really offroad, I like it a lot.

TouchArcade Patreon - GameCenter: dyscoder -
05-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Game Impressions

Wow. Real mixed feelings about this one. The concept is genius. One of those things which feels like it's something so simple and natural it must've been around for ages, yet I cannot think of a single game that is truly similar.

The retro graphics are fine in this case and actually add character.

I hate Gamesalad (loading times) but could live with it in this case.

However. The flip screen mechanic is an abomination and simply ruins the game. I'm not sure the solution is as simple as adding another button, as you already need two fingers (direction+jump) on screen then would need a third one at the same time which is awkward. But it would be better than the current mechanic which is completely unreliable and quickly causes frustration. Perhaps thoughtful arrangement of on-screen buttons could make it feasible to have to press three at the same time.

I'd definitely encourage anyone to check out the lite version, in any case.
05-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Just an update: I perservered through the lite version to completion, and picked up the full regardless. The core game design/mechanics are seriously not to be missed and they open up even further as you go along.

Do not ignore this one, despite the shortcomings. At least try the lite.
06-08-2010, 02:37 AM
despite as stated above I had no problems with the flip control in the LITE version.
This is still on my buy list, since I like it a lot.

06-08-2010, 05:56 AM
This has the best name for any game.

Invaders Must Die.
06-08-2010, 06:41 AM
Yes, the name alone is worth $1