★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Bonzai Games
  • Genre: Puzzle
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 1.5 MB
  • Version: 1.0.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Tilt your iPhone or iPod touch to help the blue bubble escape from the green enemy bubbles! You can also tap the screen to teleport or swipe sideways on the spikes to slam them. It's pop or be popped in this update to the classic Robots formula.

Features:
* 50 in-game challenges to attempt (with bronze, silver, and gold difficulties)
* Online ranking system that pits you against the world!
* Local high scores that track your 10 best scores.
* In-depth tutorial to teach you how to play
* Configurable controls and other thoughtful options.

Reviews:
"This game is worth getting just for the tutorial alone! LOL! Graphics are great, game is very polished, gameplay is smooth...Awesome."
- songbird, toucharcade.com member

"Sometimes you don't need to have spectacular graphics/ visuals/ 500 MB game etc etc, you just need a simple/ 1.5 MB/ SUPER adictive game!!!"
- John Hasio

imikedaman's comments:
EDIT: 5 promo codes available!

04-15-2010, 11:37 AM
If you've never heard of the game Daleks/Droids/whatever, here's a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daleks_(video_game)

If you have heard of it and you're a fan, here's a detailed list of how Bonzai Bubbles is different:
1. it's real-time, obviously
2. you move 3x faster than the enemies
3. you can move in any direction instead of only 9 (including "skip turn")
4. teleports are earned, not infinite
5. since it's not turn-based, it's impossible to die immediately from an unlucky teleport
6. when two enemies touch, they get bigger and keep chasing you
7. you win by popping all of the enemy bubbles, not by combining them
8. the strategy comes from finding ways to maximize your score and minimize your teleport usage in each level

The game's simple style is meant to look reminiscent of the old games. It also helped me achieve zero loading screens, so there.

(EDIT: the actual name of the game is Bubbles, but that name was taken on the App Store. Banzai is spelled with an o for reasons that I will not explain.)

Last edited by imikedaman; 04-15-2010 at 11:43 AM.

04-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Aww, now look what you guys made me do:

I have 5 promo codes available if anyone wants one. This is my first iPhone game (and I plan on making larger games in the future) so any constructive criticism will be much appreciated.
04-19-2010, 02:28 PM
I would love a code please, thanks
04-19-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm almost tempted to ask you for a promo code but FIRST could you provide 1 or 2 screenshots of the actual game in play (a pic of the local rankings really doesn't count)?

Okay, saw some screenshots on the game's page.

Promo me please.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 04-19-2010 at 03:00 PM.
04-19-2010, 02:59 PM
Hm, somehow my iTunes URL got borked... anyone familiar with why that might happen?

I'll go see if I can fix it. The graphics are pretty basic anyway. That's probably one thing I'll have to work on in my next game.

EDIT: I do have a mobile version of the website up, though:
http://m.bonzaigames.com/bubbles/

Last edited by imikedaman; 04-19-2010 at 03:03 PM.
04-19-2010, 03:29 PM
I would love one if there are more promos available!
04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
May I have one too?
04-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Game Impressions

Crap Weasels!

This game is minimalist goodness in such a clever way.

While not normally a fan of games that are too simplistic, this game pulls off something pretty novel.

As the dev described, it is essentially a real-time game of robots/daleks with the twist being that since your enemies in this game are simply bubbles, they don't explode when colliding with one another but simply form into bigger and bigger bubbles. When you think you have your baddies where you want them (I think ideally in one giant bubble), swipe either side wall of spikes and pop that big bastage while avoiding the closing spike wall yourself. As you are a bubble you sort of always need to avoid the side spikes and are given 3 teleports to pull you out of nasty situations (you get extra ones for every 1k points and getting popped yourself causes you to lose 2 teleports with the game ending when you die without any teleports in storage). Your movement is all accelerometer controlled and to teleport you simply tap the screen.

This game is minimalist goodness in such a clever way.

While not normally a fan of games that are too simplistic, this game pulls off something pretty novel.

As the dev described, it is essentially a real-time game of robots/daleks with the twist being that since your enemies in this game are simply bubbles, they don't explode when colliding with one another but simply form into bigger and bigger bubbles. When you think you have your baddies where you want them (I think ideally in one giant bubble), swipe either side wall of spikes and pop that big bastage while avoiding the closing spike wall yourself. As you are a bubble you sort of always need to avoid the side spikes and are given 3 teleports to pull you out of nasty situations (you get extra ones for every 1k points and getting popped yourself causes you to lose 2 teleports with the game ending when you die without any teleports in storage). Your movement is all accelerometer controlled and to teleport you simply tap the screen.

If this simple fun gameplay were enough the game tracks some 50 achievements (no online community network but it tracks top online and your local Top 10 scores).

5/5

The only thing I'm not too clear on is the scoring. I saw that every bubble that merges into another one gets me 10 points but it isn't clear if getting all of the baddies into one big bubble or how long I take to do that makes any difference score wide.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 04-19-2010 at 09:13 PM.
04-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Not sure if you have given away 4 or 5 promos, so I will ask for one just in case.