★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Donkey Kong for iPhone

04-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Donkey Kong for iPhone

Who here would like to see a game resembling Donkey Kong made for the iPhone? That would be the end all.

What about Fat Princess?

What games would you like to see?
04-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Something original.

Not another poor man's version of big-name franchise. We've had one too many of those in the Appstore, from NOVA, Gangstar, Blades of Fury, Astro Ranch, Zenonia, etc.

So please, if you're a dev trying to make a game, come up with something creative and not a clone.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.

04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Actually, it could be pretty good if you used the 1994 (NES and gameboy) version as a starting point. It expanded on the original formula with about 200 new levels, new enemies, etc, while keeping the same general idea.

Even better if you can make a level editor and level sharing system.
04-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_k View Post
Something original.

Not another poor man's version of big-name franchise. We've had one too many of those in the Appstore, from NOVA, Gangstar, Blades of Fury, Astro Ranch, Zenonia, etc.

So please, if you're a dev trying to make a game, come up with something creative and not a clone.
I completely agree. Games released by large companies are ultimately generic, and quite stale. Take for instance games like Minigore or Abca, created by 2 - 3 developers, that are essentially some of the best games on the iPhone.

Of course, I have yet to come across a side-scroller with the intuitiveness of Donkey Kong. If one does exist, by all means, point me in that direction.

And a game with the same basic principle of Fat Princess has crossed my mind several times. The game would need a strong multiplayer core, in which case, we should wait and see how Game Center comes to fruition.

Last edited by Salacion; 04-15-2010 at 12:37 PM.
04-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_k View Post
Something original.

zenonia?

Beta tester of 54 games
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Thats a nice lookin gun.
04-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to iFanzine
Elevators is something of a homage to Donkey Kong...

The latest iPhone & iPad games. Reviewed. iFanzine.com
"Awesome!"-StudioUFO "Very well written"-Foursaken Media "Cool, Love it!"-Bulkypix
04-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacion View Post
I completely agree. Games released by large companies are ultimately generic, and quite stale. Take for instance games like Minigore or Abca, created by 2 - 3 developers, that are essentially some of the best games on the iPhone.

Of course, I have yet to come across a side-scroller with the intuitiveness of Donkey Kong. If one does exist, by all means, point me in that direction.

And a game with the same basic principle of Fat Princess has crossed my mind several times. The game would need a strong multiplayer core, in which case, we should wait and see how Game Center comes to fruition.
Minigore, "essentially the best game on the iPhone". Wow you just made me choke on whatever I was eating at the moment.
That's the equivalent of saying "Khalid Shaikh is the best developer for the iPhone".
Apparently I just walked into a thread for a small group of people who thinks the best games for the iPhone are "stale" and the worst games for iPhone are "essentially the best".
04-15-2010, 12:56 PM
OMG donkey kong would be so awesome and then again so would mario series and road rash
04-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Minigore, "essentially the best game on the iPhone". Wow you just made me choke on whatever I was eating at the moment.
That's the equivalent of saying "Khalid Shaikh is the best developer for the iPhone".
Apparently I just walked into a thread for a small group of people who thinks the best games for the iPhone are "stale" and the worst games for iPhone are "essentially the best".
I won't get into it. We have different opinions and different tastes. So I ask, please refrain from these negative comments, and be a reasonable human being. Or maybe you just didn't take your medicine; I don't know.
04-15-2010, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salacion View Post
I won't get into it. We have different opinions and different tastes. So I ask, please refrain from these negative comments, and be a reasonable human being. Or maybe you just didn't take your medicine; I don't know.
I don't see how he was being unreasonable, maybe a bit of hyperbole. I also think your argument is weakened beyond repair when you use Minigore as an example of a good game. It is one big bag of late/broken promises, bad DLC, and bugginess.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!