★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

TinyMap

04-15-2010, 09:30 PM
TinyMap

I know it has been a whole day and a half since this should have been posted, but we kind of got too absorbed with the game and didn't remember to post in the forums

Anyway, when I say "we" I mean Noel Llopis from SnappyTouch, creator of FlowerGarden, and eh... well, me. Our entry was decided in a rush that same morning. The idea was to make the most important part of any 3D shooter, the thing that you end up looking at the most, the central point of the game: the mini map.

Yes, the gray circles are dual-sticks!

You strafe with the left stick and turn with the right. Point of the game at this point: kill as many enemies as you can before they get to you.

Crap! There they are!

The difficulty strives from only seeing in the map the enemies in your field of view!

Oh, no! More over there!

Whenever you touch the right sticker, you also start auto-firing.

Die!

If that was not difficult enough, when you move the field of view shrinks!

They are everywhere! Run!

That you can actually see the enemies sneaking behind you when they are really close makes it an even more frantic experience.

Aggghhh!

If the zomb... eh, enemies... OK, they move pretty slow, they are totally zombies. If any touches you, you are done.

Braaaaaiiiins

Noel did all the programming, and I just gave him a few suggestions about the gameplay. It was great to see how the game slowly came alive one little piece at a time: adding first the grid and the player movement, then spawning enemies, then adding the field of view, then moving enemies... you get the idea. Of course it was all done in OpenGL; it even has some nice touches like always making the sticks appear under your thumb! Was great to make something playable in just a few hours!

Miguel . Friginal
Mystery Coconut, LLC
Follow me on Twitter @mysterycoconut
04-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Looks like a neat idea, vaguely similar to something I'm working on at the moment. Did you consider having auto-fore on all the time? Concentrate the game on finding and avoiding the baddies...

Are you planning to take the game any further?

One half of Acorn Heroes, makers of Acorn Money and Goo! Follow me on Twitter

04-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Oh no, George! Did we steal your idea? We really just started playing with it, adding stuff as we thought of it.

I don't think I like the auto-fire on all the time, but our implementation is already pretty close to that; it doesn't only fire when you are turning around, it starts firing when you put your thumb over the right stick. I have noticed I play most of the time with the thumb on the screen all the time, even when not moving, so...

As per developing the game further, we will see. It is fun to play with, Noel was having some fun tweaking it, and I have been doing some quick designs for cooler (as in not-just-programmer-art) graphics, so maybe we should. Nothing serious planned yet though.

Miguel . Friginal
Mystery Coconut, LLC
Follow me on Twitter @mysterycoconut
04-16-2010, 06:36 PM
No, don't worry about stealing anyone's ideas, we've got something sufficiently different in mind As for the auto-fire thing, I guess I was meaning more of an intelligent auto-fire when there are visible enemies in range.

Anyway, it looks like fun, good luck if you decide to take it further.

One half of Acorn Heroes, makers of Acorn Money and Goo! Follow me on Twitter
04-16-2010, 09:12 PM
George, that's a good idea with the aim assist. Miguel and I need to really talk about this and figure out where to take it from here. I think it has potential and it can go in different directions (over-the-top Geometry Wars style, slow and creepy, etc). I do really like the FOV mechanic though. It would definitely be fun taking it to completion and releasing it on the App Store.

(Apparently I'm not able to stay away from the computer after all ;-b)
04-17-2010, 01:35 AM
I'd just like to say, this is a very unique and cool idea, and I, as a iGamer, would definitely be interested in something like this. Keep it up!
04-17-2010, 11:34 AM
You should replace the button graphics at the very end (the restart and quit) but the other simplistic graphics look good . This game looks like a DSS version of TtL.

Licensed and Certified Legacy User
04-17-2010, 12:35 PM
@MysteryCoconut @llopis

I finally can see what you guys were up to during the Game Jam look this could be a fun game! I saw Noel working for a long time on his MacBook pro, but couldn't see the screen and saw MysteryCoconut coming to discuss and showing thing on the iPad .

I think the layout of the UI is perfect for playing it on a iPhone/iPod touch, as for running this on the iPad it might be not so ideal.

Looking forward to see how this project will involve to.
04-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Any news on this yet?

Licensed and Certified Legacy User
07-09-2010, 09:00 AM
RElease this please!!!!