★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Flightless
  • Genre: Kids
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 8.1 MB
  • Version: 1.2
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.8 (5)
App description: Help Top Dog herd all the sheep to their pens, ducks to their ponds and pigs to their mud!

*** Check our our new game Bee Leader at http://itunes.com/apps/flightless/beeleader
*** Editors' Choice on the New Zealand & Australian App Stores!
*** #1 iPad game in Australia!

Top Dog: Farmyard Adventures is a beautifully designed flocking and herding game for all ages, but kids will dig it the most.

Top Dog: Farmyard Adventures is easy to play, but challenging to master. Simply draw a path to guide Top Dog around the farm. As he runs around the farm the animals scatter. It's your job to help Top Dog herd the animals to where they need to be. There are four easy challenges and four harder challenges. Earn Gold, Silver and Bronze ribbons for extra speedy herding and be on the lookout for tasty bonus bones.

For more information please visit: http://www.flightless.co.nz/topdog

*** #1 Kids Game on the New Zealand + Australian App Store! ***
*** New & Noteworthy on the NZ, Aus, US, UK + heaps of other App Stores! ***
*** Featured on the homepage of the NZ, Aus and US App Stores! ***
*** Featured in the New On iTunes email for New Zealand + Australia! ***
*** What's Hot on the NZ + Aus App Stores! ***
*** Staff Favourite on the NZ + Aus App Stores! ***

4/5 - "A great game for casual and younger gamers." - AppSpy.com

4/5 - "Beautiful 2D graphics. Fresh and fun gameplay." - Digital Reality

4/5 - "Top Dog is a great game for kids but with hard and easy options it is suitable for any age. Children will love it." - TouchReviews.net

3.5 stars - "...sometimes the simplest of ideas can prove to be a sure fire hit."
- Gamezebo.com

"gameplay that is amazingly addictive... truly original to the platform, and genuinely fun." - The APPera

"I guarantee that you'll go back to it and/or be late for at least one appointment because of it. Go get it!" - iPhonewzealand

- top-down 2D gameplay
- path drawing game interface, just draw where you want Top Dog to run
- real-time flocking AI with unique animal behaviours
- various sheep, ducks and pigs to herd around the farm
- authentic farm and animal sounds
- one training level
- four easy challenges on a small farm
- four hard challenges on a large farm
- gold, silver and bronze ribbons (and a happy Top Dog) for speedy herding
- saved stats between games
- Game Center leaderboards for each level and Top Dog
- a grey warbler

Top Dog: Farmyard Adventures
A Flightless Production
by John O'Reilly, Greg Harding, Lorin O'Reilly and Ali Teo
Copyright 2010 Flightless Ltd. All rights reserved.

While nearly all of the game is custom-built, some bits and pieces are powered by the Oolong Engine (http://oolongengine.com) and Irrlicht (http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net).
Top Dog sound is powered by CocosDenshion (http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org) and Freesound (http://www.freesound.org).

Bee Leader

04-17-2010, 06:01 AM
I love the art syle! Hopefully the gameplay lives up to the graphics I like.

04-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Looks cute.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
04-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Really cute! Thanks for the video - it sold me. Reminds me of Peter and Vlad which I love!

(though my dogs got a little upset at the vid - I had the sound on and they went a little crazy!)
04-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Whomever does pick it up...you know MY QUESTION...do they randomize the positioning of the animals on each go?

My iTunes Reviews
04-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Game Impressions

Too late, I couldn't wait any longer!

While I've only tried a couple of the challenges, the basics of play seems to be pretty consistent in all of them.

Herd the different groups of animals into their respective areas (sheep in pens, hogs in mud, ducks in their pond, etc.). This is easier said than done as not only are many of the animals pretty skittish, there are all sorts of obstacles from barns to narrow bridges, that you'll need to herd your flocks around to get them where they need to go. Sometimes the game might even throw in a twist with, say, two different kind of sheep you'll need to sort out before penning. This is actually a little more challenging than, say, having to pen a group of hogs and a group of sheep since the sheep, regardless of color, will tend to group together whereas, when dealing with say the aforementioned hogs and sheep, would not naturally form a cluster together.

As far as I can tell your points are mainly based on how quickly you get the animals in their respective areas and complete the level but there is a slight twist. Scattered randomly about each map are a number of bones that, while doing nothing to help your time, do grant you a few extra bonus points. So if trying to maximize your score you'd want to figure out how to both pen the beasties as quickly as possible while picking up as many bones as possible on the way. On the other hand, however, if just going for time (there is a medal timer counting down in the upper right hand corner letting you know which of the gold, silver, or bronze medals you might still be eligible for if you finish quickly enough), I don't think the bones serve any purpose.

The game will separately track both your best score and best time medal for each of the 8 challenges (often the run you receive your best score in would not be your fastest one and visa versa) but I don't believe there is any online scoring, just local.

The graphics are well animated and stylish with the sounds being very spot on from the different animals to the sounds of a guy mowing in one area if you're close enough to hear him with your pooch.

All in all a nice addition to the many herding games out there with I guess its most unique trait being that you'll often be herding entirely different kinds of animals all in one challenge with their own unique characteristics you'll need to adjust to on the fly if you hope to get all gold medal times and high scores.

The only thought that comes to mind is that maybe, as opposed to JUST awarding medals for best times, the game actually list the best times themselves for each level as even if one has already earned a gold medal in one challenge by completing it in 30 seconds, I think it might be nice if the game tracked how in a later game I did it all in 25 seconds.

My iTunes Reviews
04-17-2010, 05:13 PM
I also love the art style, but this seems pretty short at only 8 challenges. Is it?
04-17-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by laladanger View Post
I also love the art style, but this seems pretty short at only 8 challenges. Is it?
Enh, the harder ones do take a bit, especially when you get into multiple animal types and then you'll have the fun of trying not only to get the Gold Medal in each challenge but the best scores as well. As stated before, I think at least the timing aspect could be improved if the game recorded your best time for each level and not simply show a silver medal (thus signifying you did it quick enough to earn a silver medal but no way to know when replaying was this other silver medal winning performance better or worse than the last silver medal run you had on this challenge).

I also believe, the developers can correct me if I'm wrong, that the way this game was structured, it would be very easy to just add in more levels if it did well enough to warrant it. It isn't like they're all part of some big map, they're just a series of stand alone challenges you're free to take in any order you'd like.

My iTunes Reviews

Last edited by LordGek; 04-17-2010 at 05:26 PM.
04-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Thanks, from Flightless (developers)

hi everyone,

Thanks for posting about Top Dog, and thanks for your comments, suggestions and liking our little game. Thanks, LordGek, for a pretty comprehensive review as well. I'll copy and paste some answers from an email reply we made to LordGek for this thread...

Yes, the challenges on each level have randomised start positions for all of the animals and bones. The levels themselves don't change yet, but this is obviously something we're considering for future updates and versions.

There's local stats/scoring but no online stuff at the moment, and once again this is something we're considering for future releases. This is our first game so trying to squeeze everything in at once was hard to do! We started Top Dog quite a while ago and there weren't any other herding games to compare features with directly or through user comments and reviews - also, services like OpenFeint didn't exist either.

Top Dog has only been out for a day and we've got a nice little list building for tweaks and other suggestions - we're looking forward to making a few updates. If you've got any questions or thoughts then please email topdog@flightless.co.nz - we'll add any suggestions or feature requests to our list and consider them for future releases.

// greg
04-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Updates on the way...

hi again everyone,

Just a quick update - we're working on Open Feint leaderboards and achievements for the next release of Top Dog. We're also hoping to add an extra level sometime over the next few releases...

// greg