★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

4 month's hard work,only 40 sales for 4 days :(

04-18-2010, 09:36 AM
4 month's hard work,only 40 sales for 4 days :(

here is my game's video

Youtube link | Pop Up

iTunesl Link : http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/finger-cut/id360663407?mt=8

is the name, icon not attractive?
or just the game is not fun at all?

what can I do?

please give me some advise,please
thank you

almost one year later
we made a new game based on the same concept,and been featured by apple,thanks for all the great advices you guys gave to me

cut the zombies !!kill zombies with your finger!

Last edited by muxinzi; 03-29-2011 at 10:12 PM.
04-18-2010, 10:02 AM
in my perspective , icon it's a minus.you need to change that.
overall price is good,description its ok, and you can make a photo whit a drawing virtual hand

video its good and interesting

04-18-2010, 10:02 AM
There are too many lingering questions:

1. Are there levels?
2. Is there an ultimate goal? Or does it go forever?
3. Are there more shapes than the couple shown?
4. What's the point really?

The game looks amusing, there's a certain addictive quality to reach a higher score, but that's all there really is to it.

To be honest, it looks nice (and your demo video is top notch!) but I don't think it's $1.99 worthy. I know the feeling, you put a ton of work into it and you want to charge what you think it's worth but in this case, keeping in mind the general simplicity, you might be better off going the free with ads route. You can also put in a $0.99 upgrade option to remove the adds and hopefully provide some other incentive.

Just my opinion, take what you will from it.
04-18-2010, 10:20 AM
You could try to sign up with freeAppCalendar.com and do a free promotion. That might help you jump start sales. Or you could just keep it free all the time and use ads to generate revenue.

I make games at PixelCUBE Studios! Follow me @naveen_pcs
04-18-2010, 10:56 AM
I don't think the game itself is an issue, I think it may be the presentation... I just think having a huge, larger then life personality with these types of games is what lures people in, and THEN its the game play that hooks them.

Right now, it looks like you've got the game play part, but nothing to get people interested in your game that have never heard of it before, or just happen to stumble across it for the first time. What is going to make someone really say "hmmm, I really want this game!"

By personality I mean, adding characters to the game and things like this. Like, show a little animal, or some kind of finger character (you know, like a dressed up finger?) slicing them up in the bottom corner when you slice a piece of paper, and use this guy as the mascot of your game. Have themed levels in different areas. Things like this.

You may also want to consider a lite version. We released a lite version of N.Y.Zombies at the same time as the full version, and I really think it helped -- it definitely helped get extra exposure thats for sure. Think about it, you've essentially got TWO chances to get noticed (if your lite gets noticed, technically so does your full version, whether you get the sale or not, at least someone looked at the game!).

That's just my 2 cents... hope it helps!
04-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi there. Your game looks really fun! Sorry it's not selling well...

These are the problems I see:
  • The icon is definitely not very interesting. If I hadn't seen the video I would have never guessed what it meant.
  • You can't tell what the game's about from the first screenshots. Maybe you should consider moving screen #3 to the beginning.
  • It's really hard to tell what the game's like by screenshots alone. This is a problem with many games, which we can do very little about... I wish Apple allowed videos in the app description.
  • A more general problem may be presentation. Cutting "shapes" is not very appealing. When I saw the video, I imagined a chef slicing food very quickly. Maybe it would have been better if you had chosen a theme like that instead of going the abstract way.

I think you should re-imagine the game with a better theme and icon and release it under a different name. Don't just update this one, as you've already lost the initial impact of a new release and an update won't help you much.

A piece of advice for your next game: try not to take so long to make it. Games on the App Store have higher chances of being failures than successes, so you must try to keep your development costs (time included) as low as possible. Also, I don't know if you did it, but try showing your game as early as you can to get impressions from gamers and fellow developers, which can help you up your chances a bit.

Mariano Ruggiero // Follow me on Twitter (@ArtCoder) // Check out our games:
NEW! Elemental Rage - metroidvania-style adventure platformer
Silent Swords // Silent Swords ZERO // Crunchy Planets
04-18-2010, 12:09 PM
The game mechanics look quite fun, but may be it should be different themed, like 'Ninja cuts Zombies' and you show a small ninja doing cuts with a sword. There always needs to be something 'cute' or a cool character.
04-18-2010, 12:55 PM
i think the concept of the game isnt that all attractive, with all respect. a frenetic finger swiping doesnt look really fun, since you just swipe, not really thinking strategically. i think you should add more to the game control/gameplay-wise or move onto another project.
04-18-2010, 01:25 PM
I think the concept is fine, may be it should display lines on the objects which people need to cut so that the player always knows what to do instead of randomly swiping over the object.
04-18-2010, 03:36 PM
I played the game and I gotta say you're very close to something that could be a really big hit!

As others have stated what you're missing is a theme.

Take a look at the top list of US paid games:

Even Bejeweled 2 has a strong theme with all those shiny jewels. Skee-Ball also has tangible theme. I'm not saying abstract games can't sell but it will be much harder to capture an audience. (as you've probably noticed)

Here's two examples of simple vector styles that you could order from an illustrator. (Freelancer could make you dozens of objects very quickly)

Nate Wragg has an excellent vector style that could fit a game like this, of course it's very hard to hire him away from Pixar but you should be able to find someone who does similar style: http://n8wragg.blogspot.com/

Current name is good but it could be difficult to get noticed by releasing an update - what you want is that Apple features the game. Unfortunately update won't bring you on the new releases list so releasing under a new name might be more safe.

There's an idea for gameplay addition in the rightmost image, some objects could be destroyed by cutting specific locations etc.

I'm in the middle of moving to a new city but had to stop by on this thread because this really caught my eye - we might even be interested collaborating on the project (profit sharing) or buying the whole game for a price that will be worth much more than 40 sales for you

Cheers,
Timo

KingHunt - The Next Generation Slicing Game Lead designer
Bike Baron artist & co-creator
Minigore artist & co-creator
Ice Rage artist & co-creator
Death Rally game designer