★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

No Featured Word Games?

04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
No Featured Word Games?

Hey,

I don't see any featued word games in New and Noteworthy or Whats Hot categorey. (4/19/2010)

I thought my Letter Slide game would make the cut but who knows the metrics.

Letter Slide (see sig) just skipped out of the top 100 not sure why so we are releasing a free version (full game width ads via greystripe) to bump it up!

Does anyone know how their game gets featured, is it metrics, luck of the draw etc.

I wish at least one word game would be featued now.. we will see if we get up there when the free version of Letter Slide comes out.

If you have the untiy plugin you can play the online version of LetterSlide here, http://mehware.com/LetterSlide_BFG.html - I would love some feedback to improve the game.

- Matt

Last edited by mehware; 04-20-2010 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Edit: don't know my stones from my stripes
04-20-2010, 03:35 AM
We released WordSearch Rush nearly a month ago now, and it has met with great reception and has been featured by Apple worldwide, so Apple aren't against word games if that is what you are implying.

In the US and Canada we we're featured only slightly - "Hot New Games" for one week and now in the "What we're playing Games".

In the UK and Australia, we we're featured on the front page of the App Store with Custom Art they asked us for via our contact details.

We did nothing different to get featured, Apple just pick what they think is unique, fun and polished to feature. I also think each store has it's own team and my guess is they pick from a list of "Worthy" games which ones appeal to each Country.

If I get any free time I was going to write a post about my experiences of being featured, but we're a little busy at the moment.

All in all we were very, very happy to be featured, and getting featured doesn't always happen in the first week. We waited 2 weeks before getting featured anywhere.

We Are Colin - Indie Games from Derby, UK. Facebook Twitter YouTube
Gravity Runner - Running game with Retro Graphics
Screw The Dealer + iSevens - Card Games -
WordSearch Rush - Featured by Apple - Available now
04-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Congratz on being featured and your polished word games, thanks for the info! The game looks great.
04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Being featured is a bit like winning the lottery. Most apps never get featured, so I wouldn't expect it or count on it. Then if it does happen, it will be a very happy surprise.

The featured list is determined 100% by the Apple iTunes editorial staff. You can't buy those spots or affect them in any way. So definitely focus on other marketing techniques for now. As a bonus, that might get Apple's attention and increase your chances of a feature (maybe).

The lite version sounds like a great idea. Would love to hear how the ads work out for you. Is Greystone a new service, or did you mean Greystripe?
04-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks nattylux,

I meant greystripe ! It was super easy to integrate and use.

We have our iPad version and full iPhone free version with greystripe in review now. W'll see

We felt it was a good idea to make an iPad version because there are only 46 word apps :P for the ipad right now.

We want to get it up before April 30th for obvious reasons. Thanks all.

- Matt