★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Like tennis? Like monkeys? Then you will love Monkey Tennis.

Monkey Tennis is a gesture controlled Tennis game played entirely using monkeys. Using swipes and flicks to run and play a variety of shots, it's the most fun, addictive and amusing tennis game available for your iPhone.

For gameplay videos visit:
www.imonkeytennis.com

---------------------

TIPS:

1. The controls for Monkey Tennis replicate tennis shots as swipes. They may take 3-4 games to master, but they are what make the game great and worth the effort.

2. For an easier start play as Silverback against Aye-Aye, Howler or Gelada - on a Clay surface.

3. Use steady long swipes for best effect.

---------------------

Monkey Tennis is rendered in 3D, and uses an advanced 3D physics engine, so it is also a very realistic tennis experience - despite the fact that you might be playing against a Chimpanzee.

You can swerve the ball, play lobs, drop shots, volleys, accurately aim your shots and vary power, all with simple swipe gestures.

All of this can be done on grass, clay and hard courts - which all have their own attributes. There are also over 30 monkeys to play with, each with their own skills levels, style of play.

How will you handle a Gibbon that plays from the baseline? What about a serve and volleying Gorilla? Easy? Well wait until you meet an Orangutan that serves like Andy Roddick.

GAME MODES:

* Single Match.
* Knockout.
* Tournament: group stage followed by knockout.
* League: 10 teams playing twice.
* Challenge: 16 unique challenges, such as beat your best rally, ace a Chimp, win in straight sets and other skills.

FEATURES:

* 3D physics and visuals
* Gesture based controls: swipe to run, or play a shot.
* Flick and move in 360 degrees
* Volleys, drop shots, lobs, swerve
* Over 30 unique monkeys.
* 3 different surfaces, each with different characteristics
* Saving for each game mode, so you can have a knockout, league and more all in progress at the same time.
* settings: games per set, sets per match, sound on/off, surface type.

REVIEWS
"the best tennis game on the platform. With or without monkeys." squarezero, toucharcade.com

"without question best tennis game on the device" Gabrien, toucharcade.com

"Bought this yesterday and I have to say it is one of the best games on the platform... A bit difficult at first but a good way to get an easy start and accelerate your learning curve is to play against Aye-Aye: the creature can't run across court for the life of him! Thanks for a great game, dev, and for daring something different." Jeep, toucharcade.com

squarezero's comments:
It's tennis. With monkeys. From the developer of Touch Soccer.

04-19-2010, 09:11 PM
This will probably get buried with all the high-profile releases today, but I hope it doesn't. Just spent half-an-hour with it, and I love everything about it: the intuitive controls, the ridiculous amount of content for a $.99 game, the adorably clunky animation of the monkeys running, the fact that the monkeys make, well, monkey screeches when they screw up. It took me about 2 (short) matches to fully "get" the swipe system, but once I did it's just freaking natural.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the best tennis game on the platform. With or without monkeys.

04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
I have played about ten games and I have mixed feelings about this. I mean there is a lot of content here for .99. Also the app store is lacking of quality tennis games IMO. That being said I am finding the play mechanics and graphics to be pretty average.

Touch controls seem to be pretty responsive, it really only took me a couple of games to get the hang of the game. However, I have noticed on several occasions that the hit detection of the ball/racket are way off. I have swung several times and the racket is no where near the ball but it will still makes contact.

Graphics are a mixed bag. I like the overall look of the game but i am not finding the character annimation to be that great. Some people may like the look of the moneys but I find the way they run to be pretty weird.

The other oddity I have noticed is during the serve. Is there not a way to move the monkey (server) left or right prior to serving? That element is part of real tennis and it would be a shame if that was left out.

Honestly for .99 this is still worth a purchase if you like tennis. I am finding it to be a pretty average experience though.
04-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaTime View Post
I have played about ten games and I have mixed feelings about this. I mean there is a lot of content here for .99. Also the app store is lacking of quality tennis games IMO. That being said I am finding the play mechanics and graphics to be pretty average.

Touch controls seem to be pretty responsive, it really only took me a couple of games to get the hang of the game. However, I have noticed on several occasions that the hit detection of the ball/racket are way off. I have swung several times and the racket is no where near the ball but it will still makes contact.

Graphics are a mixed bag. I like the overall look of the game but i am not finding the character annimation to be that great. Some people may like the look of the moneys but I find the way they run to be pretty weird.

The other oddity I have noticed is during the serve. Is there not a way to move the monkey (server) left or right prior to serving? That element is part of real tennis and it would be a shame if that was left out.

Honestly for .99 this is still worth a purchase if you like tennis. I am finding it to be a pretty average experience though.
I did notice the bit about the (overly generous) hit detention, and I agree that it would be good to shift serve position. Still, I really like the game mechanics and especially the physics -- when the ball hits the top of the net, it bounces up very realistically, and the lobs look great. Whether one finds the character animation weird or cute is a matter of perspective.

The developer is on his honeymoon, by the way, so it may be a few days before he answer questions on the thread.
04-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
It's tennis. With monkeys. From the developer of Touch Soccer.
You had me at "Touch Soccer." Impressions after about 15 mins though are a bit mixed.

Minor: Not a fan of the animations.

Major: Not liking the "swipe to run" control at all. Swipe to hit - yes, but I keep wishing I had a little thumbstick for movement only. Main problem is, once you swipe you cannot stop in place (unless I'm missing something), so it's less a case of running to position than it is attempting to kind of "intercept" the ball. I mean, in tennis, you want to get to your position as early as possible. In this game, if you do WELL in anticipating the ball and take off early it will actually punish you by making you overrun the spot you want to be.

It's possible I need a little longer to get used to it though.
04-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
You had me at "Touch Soccer." Impressions after about 15 mins though are a bit mixed.

Minor: Not a fan of the animations.

Major: Not liking the "swipe to run" control at all. Swipe to hit - yes, but I keep wishing I had a little thumbstick for movement only. Main problem is, once you swipe you cannot stop in place (unless I'm missing something), so it's less a case of running to position than it is attempting to kind of "intercept" the ball. I mean, in tennis, you want to get to your position as early as possible. In this game, if you do WELL in anticipating the ball and take off early it will actually punish you by making you overrun the spot you want to be.

It's possible I need a little longer to get used to it though.
Funny, I've found the gameplay so fast that overrunning doesn't seem to be an issue. I can easily imagine implementing a tap to stop action, though. Hopefully we'll here from Sauce Digital soon.
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Quote:
Funny, I've found the gameplay so fast that overrunning doesn't seem to be an issue. I can easily imagine implementing a tap to stop action, though. Hopefully we'll here from Sauce Digital soon.
Actually, I take it back. Another 15 minutes and the tap-to-run is fine. Just required a small mental adjustment to approach it less like real tennis and more just in game context.

Still don't like the animations at all. I actually wish he'd used the roly-poly models from Touch Soccer. It would go great with monkeys and actually give the game character as opposed to making it look cheap. The main problem with animations is the leg movement anyway.

That said, the game is great. And yes, without question best tennis game on the device. If it's anything like TS, I know it'll only get better with time too.
04-20-2010, 02:18 AM
hi folks,

nice to hear all your comments, i'll try and reply as soon as i can, but unfortunately im busy trying to re-book my honeymoon, as i'm in London and its been messed up by the flight disruption. Hopefullly do a video soon too.

cheers

Morgan
04-20-2010, 02:59 AM
buying now.
04-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
This will probably get buried with all the high-profile releases today, but I hope it doesn't. Just spent half-an-hour with it, and I love everything about it: the intuitive controls, the ridiculous amount of content for a $.99 game, the adorably clunky animation of the monkeys running, the fact that the monkeys make, well, monkey screeches when they screw up. It took me about 2 (short) matches to fully "get" the swipe system, but once I did it's just freaking natural.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the best tennis game on the platform. With or without monkeys.
hi squarezero,

really glad you like the game. I thought there was a lack of tennis games really making use of the touch screen, so gald to hear its working for you.

morgan