★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Experience with raising vs lowering price while featured

04-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Experience with raising vs lowering price while featured

Hi guys, I was hoping people could share some stories of what happened with their sales/numbers when they either rose or lowered the price while being featured. Our 1-week sale just ended coincidentally at the same time we became featured on itunes, and our team is torn between going through with the regular price plan (raising price back to its normal rate), vs leaving it as is and extending the sale to maximize downloads and hope to get on a chart.

I personally find it obvious that you should want to do everything you can to get the most AMOUNT of downloads you can in order to maximize your chart position so that after the feature, you can hope to continue to exist on a chart. But some of our other team members think that the discrepancy in sales at 1.99 vs 2.99 wont be significant enough to cause any serious harm in download count, and will simply end up earning more revenue with a comparable chart position.

What are peoples' experiences/opinions on this?
04-19-2010, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foursaken_Media View Post
Hi guys, I was hoping people could share some stories of what happened with their sales/numbers when they either rose or lowered the price while being featured. Our 1-week sale just ended coincidentally at the same time we became featured on itunes, and our team is torn between going through with the regular price plan (raising price back to its normal rate), vs leaving it as is and extending the sale to maximize downloads and hope to get on a chart.

I personally find it obvious that you should want to do everything you can to get the most AMOUNT of downloads you can in order to maximize your chart position so that after the feature, you can hope to continue to exist on a chart. But some of our other team members think that the discrepancy in sales at 1.99 vs 2.99 wont be significant enough to cause any serious harm in download count, and will simply end up earning more revenue with a comparable chart position.

What are peoples' experiences/opinions on this?
My personal experience is that it will still rise to a comparable position on the chart, regardless of the price (assuming it is within reason). Gain as much money as you can, because once that feature wears off you will either sink immediately or remain afloat.

However, since you are already featured and your price is low, I think the general rule of thumb is to not mess with anything. Just ride it out for as long as you can.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone

04-19-2010, 11:34 PM
So you think its more important to milk it for as much money as you can as opposed to setting up for possible long term visibility at a lower price?
04-20-2010, 01:00 AM
Quote:
So you think its more important to milk it for as much money as you can as opposed to setting up for possible long term visibility at a lower price?
The long term visibility will either be there or it won't. There is a misconception that lowering the price will help you get higher and stay higher, but that isn't the case.

However, in your case it is a hard call. You are already featured, and you really shouldn't mess with it, which means DO NOT change the price, wherever it may be right now.

A ragdoll physics platformer:Flickitty
The artist: randall schleufer
Twitter: @FlickittyiPhone
04-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Definitely leave the price alone. People are willing to try out featured games under the preconception that Apple thinks they are worth checking out - but if they have to choose between yours at $1.99 and someone's at $0.99 they may choose the cheaper one because at the end of the day, they're taking a chance on an unknown.

Once you're more establishing, have a strong brand, brand following, etc. that sort of stuff changes.
04-20-2010, 10:12 AM
I have the same dilemma today! (nice to have that dilemma!) Super Juicy HD just got the center spot in the spotlight in the iPad games store !!!!!! I had been thinking about raising the price since iPad games are generally 1.99 or more.

"when he eats three poops and becomes muscle bound, that was worth the .99 right there." -Super Fly!
Tetris and Bubble Wrap had a baby and named it Super Juicy!
TouchGen Best of 2009 Finalist! 5/5 Best of 2009
04-20-2010, 10:24 AM
Pricing

If the price isn't low I simply put the app on my 'watch list' until it becomes cheap.

Why buy one app for $5 when you can have 5 for that price? Quality in the app store has not (to date) correlated with price paid.
04-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Well, we had it scheduled to change to 2.99 last night, which was the day we got featured. We went ahead with the price change (sigh, much to my disapproval)...

Without a feature we were holding steady in Japan at #35 overall, and #15 in Taiwan, and the price change has so far garnered a bit of a drop in those countries (to #39 and #22 respectively). Its hard to tell whats a regular fluctuation, or whats a trend at this point (11 hours into the price change).

For the countries that have been featured, it hasn't been the dramatic boost I thought it would be, be again, its still very early to really make any statement on that (its definitely noticeable though).

I just feel like when we're dealing with this kind of exposure, its much better to have a lower price and get those extra impulse buys, which would probably amount to more overall revenue AND a higher rank then if we had a higher price and alienated the impulse buyers.
04-20-2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
I just feel like when we're dealing with this kind of exposure, its much better to have a lower price and get those extra impulse buys, which would probably amount to more overall revenue AND a higher rank then if we had a higher price and alienated the impulse buyers.
Back when we released Silent Swords, the game was featured by Apple on the Hot New Games list. The jump in sales and rank was significant.

Following the same feeling you have, we went ahead and dropped the price to 0.99 (from 2.99). As a result, the jump in rank was very noticeable, but the higher number of sales didn't compensate for the lower price. Plus the rank just went down again when we returned to 2.99 (while still featured), so I don't think the move was really beneficial.

We have Silent Swords ZERO (the prequel to Silent Swords) featured right now, and we won't be changing the price this time.

Mariano Ruggiero // Follow me on Twitter (@ArtCoder) // Check out our games:
NEW! Elemental Rage - metroidvania-style adventure platformer
Silent Swords // Silent Swords ZERO // Crunchy Planets
04-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience.

What I was most afraid of is that the countries we AREN'T featured in (Japan, most notably) which we were doing well in, would drop in rank from the price increase. But so far, I'm surprised to see that our rank is continuing to stay the same despite a dollar increase.