Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

View Poll Results: Is Canabalt worth $2.99?
Yes 212 35.04%
No 293 48.43%
Not my type of game 100 16.53%
Voters: 605. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2011, 12:52 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
There is a huge information gap here since I don't know of anywhere that has tried to peg just how many households have both iPads and iPhones/iPod Touches that are used by the same people.
Basically, assume that every single iOS household with children will fall into this category. For example, you've got me, my wife, and our two kids, all using iOS devices at this point and everything tied to one Apple ID. Your logic only applies if you assume everybody has their own personal Apple ID, which would apply to exactly zero of the iOS using people in my peers since we're all grown adults with college educations, children, and allegedly disposable income. Everybody has a family Apple ID that everyone in their household uses.

I don't know if the numbers make sense to only do a universal, but the numbers can't makes sense to do an iPod/touch version and an iPad only version. By all means, keep splitting the difference if you think having a $1/$2 iPhone/touch version next to the $3-$5 universal is in your interest, but if you are going to do the HD iPad supporting version then I would strongly suggest it makes more economic sense to do it as a universal than an iPad only.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:06 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Surely the bottom line here is there is no one correct answer and it's up to developers to come up with their own business plans. Sometimes you'll like it, other times you won't. If you don't, feel free to voice your opinion politely then shut the hell up and get on with your life.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:25 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
Basically, assume that every single iOS household with children will fall into this category. For example, you've got me, my wife, and our two kids, all using iOS devices at this point and everything tied to one Apple ID. Your logic only applies if you assume everybody has their own personal Apple ID, which would apply to exactly zero of the iOS using people in my peers since we're all grown adults with college educations, children, and allegedly disposable income. Everybody has a family Apple ID that everyone in their household uses.

I don't know if the numbers make sense to only do a universal, but the numbers can't makes sense to do an iPod/touch version and an iPad only version. By all means, keep splitting the difference if you think having a $1/$2 iPhone/touch version next to the $3-$5 universal is in your interest, but if you are going to do the HD iPad supporting version then I would strongly suggest it makes more economic sense to do it as a universal than an iPad only.
This is precisely the information gap I was talking about. My peers and I are all grown adults with college educations and no children (we're all DINKs). We all mostly have two Apple IDs in each household with a lot of people only having an iPhone/iPod Touch. But you're absolutely correct about families, which I admittedly don't have the most experience with. If you don't mind me asking, what age range are your kids. I feel that it would be different for households with teenagers rather than younger children, but I might be wrong.

For me personally, everything I make will be universal since I seem to have every Apple device to have come out since I started working full time. But I think apart from my fanboyism, there are a lot more considerations. The above reminds me that if I'm making a family-oriented game there are definite benefits to making it universal. I just want to reiterate that economic sense is something that can only be made with a lot more information than we have about iDevice users. Right now we're just sort of fumbling around in the dark.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:26 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

I've had many sleepless nights praying for the return of natedogg in this thread. Thank you, glorious god, wherever you are, for answering.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:37 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x

Lazer - if you don't mind disclosing, what is the anticipated price of development of an SD vs. an HD game. Without knowing the details about the type of game you are making or the graphic intensity, I think that retina display is becoming more and more of a necessity. If I'm unsure of whether to buy a game or not I often look to see if there is gamecenter and if there are hd graphics. Some games looked great in SD such as tilt to live and flight control did but with the next generation of hardware coming out soon, generations 1-3 will continue to fade and be unable to meet minimum specifications. Just something to consider, sounds like a tough choice.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:48 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
I've had many sleepless nights praying for the return of natedogg in this thread. Thank you, glorious god, wherever you are, for answering.
Holycrap @ your post count WT*!!

Sorry, I have no business in this discussion but since I'm already here.. I agree with MididanGTX. Post your opinion and get on with life. No offense to the guys who do stick around to discuss it politely though. And especially no offense to the Mods and Editors of this site kuz if it weren't for you guys it wouldn't be possible to discuss things here. Much respect. Keep it rockin' all.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:54 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman100 View Post
Holycrap @ your post count WT*!!
That's not really his post count lol.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 PM

well this thread is always fun to come back to and read from time to time, some people speak logic and others bulls@Łt but its always good to see the reactions of people when they disagree etc.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:03 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodapp View Post
And on his glorious Saturday, god replied: "Shut thy mouth Hodapp - and returneth to your one redeeming quality of scribing the Wednesday night release list. Take heed - you must again describe for the 100th time how the release process works instead of making a link to a page explaining only once how the process works. Do not argue child, for it is god's will. However thee shant continue use of cutesy adjectives such as "adorable" to describe games. Furthermore, i command you to cease your relentless night time whacking, for it be the true cause of your sleepless nights. Heed these words hodapp, lest I lobotomize thee as I have done to Your minions yemi and vovin".
Old 07-30-2011, 02:03 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what age range are your kids. I feel that it would be different for households with teenagers rather than younger children, but I might be wrong.
You might be wrong, or you might be right. Mine and my friends kids are all on the younger side. My daughter is turning 7 this week and my son is almost 4. Oldest kid in my peer group is, I think, 10, so no teenagers, but keep in mind that even with teenagers families will be handing down devices, using the allowanced account option and siblings likely sharing authorizations, etc..

Kids are the greatest excuse in the world to upgrade your i-Devices, and with up to 5 computers on any one Apple ID, any time you're selling your app to a family in this modern world, universality comes into play because of "device fluidity". Mom buys an iPad, that winds up shared with the children. When mom later gets an even better iPad that iPad becomes the childrens explicitly. Dad upgrades his touch or iPhone, the oldest gets their current i-Device upgraded with Dad's old device. The next youngest gets their device upgraded with the oldest's former device, and so on.