★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Hi, im new here. How can i create an iPhone app?

04-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Hi, im new here. How can i create an iPhone app?

Hi, im new here and i really want to create an iPhone app myself. I have no idea at all how to create one. The only thing i know is to buy the dev's software thing from Apple then does i need to learn OBJECTIVE-C? Will anyone tell me steps by steps and kindly don't refer me to sites. There's also one thing. Do we create game by typing codes? Im very curious about this, how can we create a game? by inserting codes or drawing the pasting.

Thx for those who helps.

04-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Send a message via AIM to kohjingyu
Obviously we code. And you're asking too much. No one would bother to tell you step by step on how to code. You want to see sites like http://icodeblog.com, and you can search for threads like this.

A new one comes out every week or so.

04-20-2010, 08:53 AM
There are a ton of books as well. Just go to Amazon and do a search - then you can see how well you can learn the language. Do that before you drop the $100
04-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Teaching someone how to code would take hours a day for months just to get someone proficient enough in the language to be able to write a simple game on their own. There's no practical way anyone would be able to, or even want to do that without being paid for it. It isn't a simple matter of slapping a few codes together and pasting in some graphics. It doesn't work like that. The average game typically consists of thousands to tens of thousands of lines of code, to say nothing of the graphics, sound and music generally required.

To program iPhone games you need, at a bare minimum:

- An Intel-based Mac of some description,
- A book on Objective C or a series of tutorials from websites,
- Either a lot of free time in large chunks, or smaller chunks of free time over a longer period. Think months at a bare minimum
- An aptitude for thinking logically, and for being able to approach logical problems creatively helps a lot.

Directing you to sites and/or books to buy is the only practical way to point you in the right direction to get started.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
04-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Are you required to use objective c. I'm pretty proficient with java...
04-20-2010, 09:07 AM
It isn't absolutely necessary to learn Objective C; you can use C/C++ if you're more comfortable with it. Java won't work though. There are also alternate languages/methods for creating iPhone apps, such as GameSalad and GLBasic, but you still need a Mac with the SDK installed to be able to compile to iPhone.

[Relax with Galactic Chill] [Let me tell you a story.]
Currently working on: Music for Spirit Hunter Mineko
04-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoOne23 View Post
Hi, im new here and i really want to create an iPhone app myself. I have no idea at all how to create one. The only thing i know is to buy the dev's software thing from Apple then does i need to learn OBJECTIVE-C? Will anyone tell me steps by steps and kindly don't refer me to sites. There's also one thing. Do we create game by typing codes? Im very curious about this, how can we create a game? by inserting codes or drawing the pasting.

Thx for those who helps.

Muhaha - I really laughed very good xD

Plus+ : Electrotion
Crystal: Milchmann
Open Feint: MilchMann92
Gameloft-Live: MilchMann
04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfield View Post
--- but you still need a Mac with the SDK installed to be able to compile to iPhone.
As a systemengineer - not working with Apple products though - I'm WHAAAT
Is that correct - that there is no SDK for Windows?

>
It should be a standard feature that you can turn on/off in-game music and sound effects separately in all games
!
04-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyhjyh View Post
As a systemengineer - not working with Apple products though - I'm WHAAAT
Is that correct - that there is no SDK for Windows?
Yep there is no SDK for Windows or Linux.

That's a good thing actually... I just can't imagine coding for iPhone OS using VisualStudio

And answering to the main topic:
I'm experienced programmer but it took me at least a year to really understand how to properly write apps for iPhone and that is without 3D...

a3team - founder
web: www.a3team.com
games in AppStore: Arco Pong, Avoid Maze, Sam the Fish
04-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Maybe gamesalad would be an better choice for you. I love it. But it has some limitations.

2D game artist for hire: www.Shadow-Embryo.com