★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: ScribBall graphics update...

02-16-2009, 06:41 AM
ScribBall graphics update...

Who thought it was a good idea to change the graphics for the game ScribBall?

Jeez, what were they thinking?

Put me down for a vote to swiftly change it back to how it was please!
Thanks!

P.S: The screens that are currently showing in the App-Store are still the OLD screens, which is misleading and somewhat deceptive.
I'd suggest the developers at least change these for now...

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox

Last edited by BrettArchibald; 02-16-2009 at 06:43 AM.
02-16-2009, 06:43 AM
i didn't even know there is such a game.

02-16-2009, 06:45 AM
It looks much better. Definitely emphasizing the "crayon" look, whereas the old-style could have easily been misunderstood for "crappy amateur graphics".

ALOT more polished now IMO.
02-16-2009, 06:47 AM
Send a message via ICQ to applesauce25r624 Send a message via AIM to applesauce25r624 Send a message via MSN to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Yahoo to applesauce25r624 Send a message via Skype™ to applesauce25r624
i can't understand why there can't be an in-game option to switch between the two -_-""

but yeah i like the new one better

.(>^_^).> <3 <3 <3 ! ! !
02-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Ooh, I like the new look too.
Watched a video of this yesterday and might give it a go at some point.
02-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi6 View Post
It looks much better. Definitely emphasizing the "crayon" look, whereas the old-style could have easily been misunderstood for "crappy amateur graphics".

ALOT more polished now IMO.
Apart from having a connection with the "punny" name of the app, how does "emphasizing the "crayon" look" make for better game-play?
ie: Once we've had that initial little smile over the whole ScribBall / Scribble play on words, all we're left with now is some very wishy-washy bland and dull colours, unlike the previous bright, lively colours they had before.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the scribble look-and-feel, but they really could stand be brightened up a whole lot!
So the balls could still be scribbled, but with a bright marker-pen, rather than a blunt wax crayon!

Last edited by BrettArchibald; 02-16-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: To alter emphasis on the last sentence
02-16-2009, 07:20 AM
Looks better than before!
02-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettArchibald View Post
Apart from having a connection with the "punny" name of the app, how does "emphasizing the "crayon" look" make for better game-play?
ie: Once we've had that initial little smile over the whole ScribBall / Scribble play on words, all we're left with now is some very wishy-washy bland and dull colours, unlike the previous bright, lively colours they had before.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the scribble look-and-feel, but they really could stand be brightened up a whole lot!
So the balls could be scribbled with a marker-pen, rather than a blunt wax crayon!
That's a matter of opinion, they've just chosen to go with this particular style.

What I'm saying though, regardless of art style, is that the new graphics definitely have much more of a polished quality than the original. Of course it doesn't affect gameplay.

Cyan, magenta and hyperlink blue from the original design are typical colours that just don't go in harmony together. Whereas the new graphics, although in your opinion duller and not as "lively", are definitely more consistent and polished whilst giving out a clear theme for their preferred look and feel.

Last edited by Phi6; 02-16-2009 at 08:25 AM.
02-16-2009, 08:21 AM
the first screen seems like screaming "I-wanna-be-like-the-second-screen-but-I-can't". The new one looks so much better to me. Anyway I understand the bright color argument... maybe if you write to the developers they might accept to put an in-game option switch between both.

anyway, what about the game? is it any good?
02-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi6 View Post
...Cyan, magenta and hyperlink blue from the original design are typical colours that just don't go in harmony together...
I would argue that the colours are not meant to go together, and should rather be as "contrasty" to each other as possible. The point of the game is to separate the various colours into groups and eliminate them.
The difference between all the colours before was blatantly obvious, and whereas now I can still tell them apart certainly without struggling, they have all been made much more similar to each other and the variations between them aren't nearly as marked as they were before.
And that does indeed make for a difference in actual gameplay (bearing in mind also that is somewhat of a "speed" game).

By the way, related to my point above about how it makes a difference in actual gameplay, for everyone who has given their opinion here, I'd be very curious to know if you've actually played the game on the iPhone, or if your opinions are merely based on the two static screenshots that you can see above.
I'm of the opinion that this may have an effect on your decision...

Last edited by BrettArchibald; 02-16-2009 at 08:57 AM.