★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Is a video tutorial a good idea in a game?

02-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Is a video tutorial a good idea in a game?

Hi All,

I'm planning to include a video tutorial in my new game, "Moxie". While this game is simple, during testing I've found that the rules are not obvious to new players.

I feel that the best way to communicate the rules is via a brief video that can be accessed via the Help menu.

After including the video, my application will probably grow to 15 or 20 MB in size.

Do you folks think a video tutorial is a good idea or should I try another type of tutorial, like screen popups or something like that?

Share and enjoy,

Christopher York
Blue Ox Technologies Ltd.
02-16-2009, 09:06 AM
how about a slide show that uses arrows to show what you've moved and quote blimps to explain what you are doing with the item they point to.

02-16-2009, 09:07 AM
If the tutorial is larger than the game itself (or close to the size of the game), I wouldn't do it I think.

There are alternatives like popup boxes (as you mentioned), a tutorial level with explanations, or simply a Help file with screens with explanations, and then the player can scroll/flick through them. The best solution depends on the game.

If you pick one of those, you can always put the video on your website and have a link to that in your game, for people who want even more clear instructions.

Stefan
02-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Is the file size the issue with the video, or is it something else?

Christopher York
02-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue ox View Post
Is the file size the issue with the video, or is it something else?
Isn't there a 10mb size limit to download over the cell network? It just seems like the people on the go will pick up a quick game.
02-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I just discovered that I can reduce the video size to 1/10 of what I thought if I use a different video format. So now we are talking 2 Megs or so to add video. Does this make a difference from the gamer's perspective?

Christopher York
02-16-2009, 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmwinkel View Post
If the tutorial is larger than the game itself (or close to the size of the game), I wouldn't do it I think.

There are alternatives like popup boxes (as you mentioned), a tutorial level with explanations, or simply a Help file with screens with explanations, and then the player can scroll/flick through them. The best solution depends on the game.

If you pick one of those, you can always put the video on your website and have a link to that in your game, for people who want even more clear instructions.
I agree 100%.

Also take a look @ how Touchgrind does their tutorial, I think it works well for that game...

Gamecenter:1337brian
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
More work, but I think in-game tutorial content would be better. Sign posts, pop-ups, text as part of the scenery, tutorial level, etc.

I've not looked at your game to see if that would fit in well, but as a player I personally wouldn't sit through a video to learn how to play a game.
02-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseTreeRobot View Post
More work, but I think in-game tutorial content would be better. Sign posts, pop-ups, text as part of the scenery, tutorial level, etc.

I've not looked at your game to see if that would fit in well, but as a player I personally wouldn't sit through a video to learn how to play a game.
That would work. Make it like Blue Attack!

TA's resident ios rhythm game player
Former #1 Rhythm Control 2 Player (#2 now)
Unofficial #1 Gears Player (ignoring hackers)
Check out my Rhythm Game thread
02-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I prefer interactive in-game tutorials. However, if you feel that the video is the best thing for your particular game, go for it.
regarding the size, for a word game with simple clean graphics I'd expect and prefer a small dimension. However if you reduced it from 20 Mb to 2 it should be ok.