★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Making game trailer with ScreenFlow?

04-20-2010, 09:04 PM
#1
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 249
Making game trailer with ScreenFlow?

Hi,

Has anyone done game trailers with Screenflow program?

I'm testing trial version, but my exported videos looks a bit blurred, e.g not as nice as in Simulator.

My questions, what settings do you use, or you just leave all defaults and it works fine for you?

Any other hints/tips? Thanks in advance.

Start your engines gentlemen, Vector Rally is out!

---
Twitter: http://twitter.com/VectorRally
04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
#2
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Zgrunturos and San Francisco
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by eJayStudios View Post
Hi,

Has anyone done game trailers with Screenflow program?

I'm testing trial version, but my exported videos looks a bit blurred, e.g not as nice as in Simulator.

My questions, what settings do you use, or you just leave all defaults and it works fine for you?

Any other hints/tips? Thanks in advance.
We've used Screenflow for some of our videos. They came out pretty well. Pretty sure it was default settings. I will double check a bit later when I get the chance. You can see an example here ... but of course it gets compressed so it looks far worse than it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1r8PTYdS_0

Go to where the basketball court and arcade go 1 on 1 with Hoops Madness!

04-20-2010, 11:09 PM
#3
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 249
thanks mobileben, maybe I just expect to much

I guess it also depends on game itself, because mine has lots of lines, compression makes it look worse?

Start your engines gentlemen, Vector Rally is out!

---
Twitter: http://twitter.com/VectorRally
04-20-2010, 11:50 PM
#4
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 362
Send a message via Skype™ to micah
When you export the video in ScreenFlow it defaults to 50% the actual size. In the export dialogue, make sure to change the settings to use 100% of actual size. I used ScreenFlow for these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXMG3N-PyAk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2a0va35bc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8XTe6S6J9o

--=] Insurgent Games website | twitter [=-
Cryptose (TA) - Skeleton Key (TA) - Skeleton Key HD (TA link) - Aeropack (TA)
04-21-2010, 01:14 AM
#5
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah View Post
When you export the video in ScreenFlow it defaults to 50% the actual size. In the export dialogue, make sure to change the settings to use 100% of actual size. I used ScreenFlow for these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXMG3N-PyAk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl2a0va35bc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8XTe6S6J9o
Ah! Thanks, that must be it! I saw this 50% thing, but didn't know what it's for.

Your trailers looks very cool!

Start your engines gentlemen, Vector Rally is out!

---
Twitter: http://twitter.com/VectorRally
04-21-2010, 04:25 PM
#6
How much is ScreenFlow?

I used iShowU for my video capture, it was $30 for the HD version which I thought was pretty cheap. At first I was just going to record my App with a video camera but the colors of the screen were all off. So I researched and thought iShowU (and just recording the iphone simulator) was the easiest/fastest solution for me. They have a trial version so if you're not sure if you'll like it just go that route :-)

If you want to see the quick video I threw together in like 40 mins see below:

Pet Tricks Trailer

iPhone/iPod Touch Apps by Tiny Tech Studios
04-21-2010, 07:11 PM
#7
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 249
Screenflow is $99, but it has editor as well so you can add text, transitions and some other stuff.

As I don't have any video editors, especially simple to use ones, I thought for $99 is not too bad?

You trailer looks good, one thing I would of fixed is made black background while recording so you don't have those blue borders around?

I will check iShowU HD as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyTechnician View Post
How much is ScreenFlow?

I used iShowU for my video capture, it was $30 for the HD version which I thought was pretty cheap. At first I was just going to record my App with a video camera but the colors of the screen were all off. So I researched and thought iShowU (and just recording the iphone simulator) was the easiest/fastest solution for me. They have a trial version so if you're not sure if you'll like it just go that route :-)

If you want to see the quick video I threw together in like 40 mins see below:

Pet Tricks Trailer

Start your engines gentlemen, Vector Rally is out!

---
Twitter: http://twitter.com/VectorRally
04-21-2010, 08:00 PM
#8
Ah, it has an editor. Yeah that makes sense. I already have a video editor so all I was looking for was something to capture the simulator. Hey, $99 for capture and editing sounds like a bargain then ;-)

iPhone/iPod Touch Apps by Tiny Tech Studios
04-21-2010, 08:10 PM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eJayStudios View Post
As I don't have any video editors, especially simple to use ones
You have iMovie. I used Screenflick ($25) plus iMovie for this video.

--Eric

Realmaze3D on the App Store
Realmaze3Free: 3 free mazes (a taste of Realmaze3D)
04-21-2010, 08:56 PM
#10
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
You have iMovie. I used Screenflick ($25) plus iMovie for this video.

--Eric
thanks Eric, forgot about iMove, will check it out!

Start your engines gentlemen, Vector Rally is out!

---
Twitter: http://twitter.com/VectorRally