★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Fieldrunners - techniques?

10-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
Fieldrunners - techniques?

Ok. I want to reach the 4xx,xxx score Arn (obviously untruthfully) claims to have reached on the Hard level.

Anyone care to share successful tower deployment techniques?

blakespot

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]
10-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakespot View Post
Ok. I want to reach the 4xx,xxx score Arn (obviously untruthfully) claims to have reached on the Hard level.

Anyone care to share successful tower deployment techniques?

blakespot

Here's my high scores so far. I haven't played many games yet and I'm new to tower defense, but I think I have a pretty solid strategy. I only tried hard mode once (i think that's high score number 3). I lost because I screwed up. I think I can beat it next time.

The second picture is my what my setup ended up looking like. I make sure to line the big weapons mostly in the center to take care of the helicopters. I also make sure to place the bigger ones so the runners will cross them twice. I make sure to have multiple goo towers near big stuff, so they hit more runners at one time.

That set up works like magic. I was tempted to put the game down at level 80 and come back when I won. I did end up having to change it for the very last wave (removing the towers the runners already passed and upgrading the towers at the end). Only the runners in the last wave made it past the halfway point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	30   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	31  

10-12-2008, 04:35 PM
It's really not that hard to get 4XX,XXX and beyond. I just build a maze that goes up and down from left to right. Mix up your towers. I usually put tesla towers in the middle from left to right so that it its the helis. Other than that, just experiment with mazes. Happy TDing!
10-12-2008, 04:38 PM
After playing hard a bit more, it may have been Medium level that I achieved that score

arn
10-12-2008, 10:13 PM
AHahAHahAHahAH...

I need help on FieldRunners. I just cannot come up with any ideas. Everyone of my ideas get me about half way through normal mode.

My most recent looked some thing like this (see attached, touch arcade messed it up).

*m = machine gun, g = goo gun, b = missle bombs, S = start

Thanks for any help (sorry if it's a bad picture)!

Pro-79
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fieldrunners.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	32  

*Will do anything for an iPhone/iPad port of Roller Coster Tycoon 1*
10-12-2008, 10:19 PM
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...p?threadid=527

Check out my post. I haven't tried a better one yet. That setup easily got me all the way through normal.

"I am NotYou and I approve this message."
10-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...p?threadid=527

Check out my post. I haven't tried a better one yet. That setup easily got me all the way through normal.

"I am NotYou and I approve this message."
So, build it in that order? In other words, you didn't replace any of those later on?

Thanks!

Pro-79

*Will do anything for an iPhone/iPad port of Roller Coster Tycoon 1*
10-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project-79 View Post
So, build it in that order? In other words, you didn't replace any of those later on?

Thanks!

Pro-79
Start building straight across the field first. Make sure to put up a couple missile towers for when the helicopters come. You have the keep that middle line as powerful as you possibly can or the helicopters will blow right through it. Eventually start building that line underneath the first one, but don't connect the two until it's done or they'll just walk around the whole thing (they always take the shortest path). Just make a path and keep growing it. make sure it zig zags(put one random tower in their way and they'll have to walk around it).

The main thing is to only build as far as the runners can reach. That way you can save up to buy stronger towers. Keep that up and they'll never make it very far. I didn't build the top part until like level 75.

I'm still new to tower defense games, but I really found that to work well.
10-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Did the messages between me and Project get moved from a different thread, or am I going a little crazy?
10-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
After playing hard a bit more, it may have been Medium level that I achieved that score

arn
DAMN YOU! I was doing great at Medium, but after you said it was Hard you mastered, I never went back to Medium.

RARH!

blakespot

:: Blake Patterson :: Touch Arcade administrator
:: [twitter] [me] [flickr]