★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: FPS on the iPod/ iPhone

02-16-2009, 01:48 PM
FPS on the iPod/ iPhone

For some reason, I don't think FPS games work on the iPod/iPhone. Don't get me wrong, I love AlienMangle, but I really don't like the controls that have been proposed. With the coming arrivals of Prey and Hill Billy, I really don't know if the FPS genre is worth buying. I love the App Store games because they are fun and addictive. I bought Zombieville USA yesterday and it was quite fun as I didn't have high expectations. I just think that it is a waste of money to buy games that aren't suited for the average iPod user. I will still check out Prey and Hill Billy, but I really don't have high expectations. Any comments?

Now Playing: Doodle Jump, Card Ace, Blackjack, GTA, We Rule
Looking Forward to: Bioshock iPod
Recent purchases: GTA
02-16-2009, 01:52 PM
I think they will only get better. Keep in mind that many developers are still only learning the iPhone platform. Also, many of them are just testing the waters with some of their first releases to see how a given title will do in the App Store. I'm sure we will start seeing some well done FPS later on this year.

02-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushMyNoseOff View Post
I think they will only get better. Keep in mind that many developers are still only learning the iPhone platform. Also, many of them are just testing the waters with some of their first releases to see how a given title will do in the App Store. I'm sure we will start seeing some well done FPS later on this year.
I agree they will get better over time
02-16-2009, 02:11 PM
My thoughts are it will get better. I say that as a old school gamer, well, I never stopped. But by the end of the year, developers will push the envelope like they did on other platforms. Just a matter of time.

MacBookPro 17" 2.33, 23" LCD, Ipod Touch 1st Gen- JB'd, Iphone 3g - not JB'd----yet.
02-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Unless we actually see a 3rd party controller add-on, I'm not sure we'll ever get a "perfect" control scheme for a device with no buttons.

With the PSP (and eh, I'll throw the DS in here too), your trigger fingers are free to attack while your thumbs handle motion. That would be incredibly uncomfortable on the iPhone, if possible at all.

The accelerometer can help, but I personally dislike having to move the device around while playing a FPS. So we're back to thumbs doing all the work.

I really enjoyed BIA using the default control scheme. I'm working on an idea for a FPS-like game and if I decide to go ahead with it, I'll probably use something like the BIA controls - left thumb to move, swipe anywhere to look/turn and tap bottom right to attack. The only downside is your right thumb is pulling double duty, but I still think it works.
02-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiledGoose View Post
Unless we actually see a 3rd party controller add-on, I'm not sure we'll ever get a "perfect" control scheme for a device with no buttons.

With the PSP (and eh, I'll throw the DS in here too), your trigger fingers are free to attack while your thumbs handle motion. That would be incredibly uncomfortable on the iPhone, if possible at all.

The accelerometer can help, but I personally dislike having to move the device around while playing a FPS. So we're back to thumbs doing all the work.

I really enjoyed BIA using the default control scheme. I'm working on an idea for a FPS-like game and if I decide to go ahead with it, I'll probably use something like the BIA controls - left thumb to move, swipe anywhere to look/turn and tap bottom right to attack. The only downside is your right thumb is pulling double duty, but I still think it works.
who knows? they might even add something
but im certain that the really good fps that will come out will probably be placed in the 20 dollar app store
02-16-2009, 02:42 PM
If the controls suck on a fps, the game sucks, unless its so good the controls dont matter.

Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
02-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiledGoose View Post

please make this i love bia control system

Current faves:UniWar,Glyder, Assasin's Creed, Wolfenstein,Zenonia(beta testing)
☻/ my review site:cheatcodes4chicos
/▌reviewer at: appmania
/ \ There you go rocketman I've moved on from hobocity
02-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I'd like to see more of the BIA dual digi-analog pads
02-16-2009, 03:50 PM
3DWorld ($0.99)
Is supposed to have first person shooter in the next update.

Since I have that app, I can't wait for the FPS.
Though its a good graphic game, its boring, hopefully the update will give more to do.