★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The only sudoku game to reach the top of the app store charts. Has been ranked as the #1 app in the overall iPad chart in 10 countries including the United States. A top 10 game in 72 countries!

It's been called the "Best Sudoku Game on ANY platform". Sudoku Book is an essential game for every iPhone or iPad. It's been featured by Apple in What's Hot, New and Noteworthy, Game Center Games, Game Starter Kit, and recently in Popular Puzzlers.

If you like Sudoku you have to try Big Bad Sudoku Book. It's our opinion that many other versions of the game sort of take the fun out of it. They won't let you enter in wrong numbers, and if you ask for a hint they straight up give you the answer to a cell. Why not just put up a puzzle and solve it for you? I'll tell you why, cause that's not fun! Our approach is a lot different. Our hints guide you to answers without flat out giving it away. We provide the tools you need to solve the puzzle with your brain, just like a real paper sudoku book but better!

*** "If Apple made a sudoku game I think it would look like this" - Dytavio ***

Change The Look!! Version 3 adds a fun twist on the classic game with new downloadable themes and challenging new puzzle book campaigns. But this is not a freemium app.. Sudoku Book's core functionality is all included. It has unlimited free play in all levels and all the same features as the previous version plus more.

*** "The whole look is perfect... This is the best sudoku interface of the five sudoku apps I have downloaded. I suspect the rest will be removed from my iPad" - GrayerBeard ***

Puzzle scoring brings an arcade game feel to sudoku and provides a metric for challenges. Sudoku Book uses an exclusive method of scoring games based on the difficulty of each answer - not based on time. Now there are two parts to the puzzle, how to solve it and how to get a higher score.

We listen to our users and have added many features based on user requests. Tech support is available within the app as a direct email to the developer. And we respond. Already in version 3 we've been in contact with many users and are fixing things based on their input.

*** The "Best Sudoku got better. Still the most like pen and paper. I love the interface. New changes made the best better." - pluto6 ***

Sudoku Book 3 adds new puzzle types and a new difficulty level. All puzzles are guaranteed to have a single solution and be solvable without guessing. Harder puzzles do require some advanced solving techniques.

Also added are many new user requested features like auto removal of marks, number counts (how many of each number is on the board), and the ability to turn off manual highlighting and the mistake smudges.

Optimized for the iPhone5 screen!

badweasel's comments:
*** WEEKEND SALE **** - FULL VERSION FREE UNTIL SUNDAY AT MIDNIGHT. Download it now while we're working on the update because next week the price goes back up to $2.99!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

I'm trying to get as many downloads as possible over this weekend. If you ever think you'd want to play this game download it NOW!

This is the FULL VERSION and when the update comes out you'll be able to UPDATE IT FOR FREE to 1.1. No strings! - There are no in app purchases in this app. We are working hard trying to get the update finished before the iPad 3G comes out, and a 'zillion' downloads will motivate us to make the deadline!

Enjoy!

UPDATE: It appears the app store is taking it's time updating the app status to FREE. If it still shows as $2.99 keep checking and it should change shortly.

UPDATE 2: IT FINALLY UPDATED - IT'S FREE RIGHT NOW.

04-22-2010, 04:01 AM
#2
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 6
Just went free in US

Been checking now for a while, and it just went free in the US App store, love the game and now that its free its definitely worth the download. Was even worth it before it was free.

04-22-2010, 04:12 AM
#3
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 60
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic5916 View Post
Been checking now for a while, and it just went free in the US App store, love the game and now that its free its definitely worth the download. Was even worth it before it was free.
Wow THANKS! Do me a favor and throw that review out on the app store. Our goal is to have the best sudoku game for the iPad and I think our update will get it there.

Right now I'm working on a new puzzle generator that should make it even more fun, a tutorial mode to teach those new to the game how to play, and a career mode. I don't want to give too much away but I think the update will get the game where it should be.
04-22-2010, 04:23 AM
#4
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweasel View Post
Right now I'm working on a new puzzle generator that should make it even more fun, a tutorial mode to teach those new to the game how to play, and a career mode. I don't want to give too much away but I think the update will get the game where it should be.
Sounds promising. Will check the game out later and leave a review!
04-22-2010, 10:47 AM
#5
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 190
UPDATE:

So I googled how to shutdown the iPad completely, normally I just put it in sleep mode. Full shutdown by holding the power button for 3-4 seconds until the "power down" option came up, then waiting 15-20 seconds, then starting it back up--fixed the whole thing.

My thanks to badweasel for taking the time out to work over this problem that was pretty clearly on my end. I can also say that this is a pretty darn fine Sudoku application, and it's straight up gorgeous. I very very much like the unique way by which I can add my own hash marks to the box, it's clever and quick--big props to you!

So for any of you experiencing the trouble like me, that should help you out. I'm guessing the rest of you guys already know how to fully shut down and reboot your ipads. The thought honestly never occurred to me. I'm going to go back to drinking my coffee that's sitting on my computer's pop-out coffee holder now.

Quote:
I'm on a 64 gig iPad and crash virtually every time at the load screen. It started only one time in portrait mode, but I haven't been able to get it to load again.

Please let me know if there are any other details I can provide you with that might help to iron out the bug.

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by JoeAverage; 04-22-2010 at 02:46 PM.
04-22-2010, 01:31 PM
#6
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAverage View Post
I'm on a 64 gig iPad and crash virtually every time at the load screen. It started only one time in portrait mode, but I haven't been able to get it to load again.

Please let me know if there are any other details I can provide you with that might help to iron out the bug.

Cheers,

Joe
That's very strange because we're not seeing this issue on our 16 or 32 gig iPads and I'm not getting any crash reports back. I'll PM you with some ideas. Thanks for the info!
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
#7
I wish there was a different color other than blue. Sort hard to remember if my marking is a guess or the right one since there just one color.
04-22-2010, 03:53 PM
#8
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Westlake, Ohio
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by badweasel View Post
That's very strange because we're not seeing this issue on our 16 or 32 gig iPads and I'm not getting any crash reports back. I'll PM you with some ideas. Thanks for the info!
You gotta do a hard reset after you get any new downloaded apps. It's recommended but I do it after each one and it helps every time and I never have issues with crashes or any other issues. Hold down the menu button and the power button at the same time until it shuts off, you'll get the power down screen with the red slide thing first, but just keep holding it down.
04-22-2010, 05:08 PM
#9
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 190
Yeah, I consider this a lesson learned for me. Though I found you don't need to hold the menu button down at all, just the power button for a few seconds until the power down slider appears.

Thanks for the heads up,

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic5916 View Post
You gotta do a hard reset after you get any new downloaded apps. It's recommended but I do it after each one and it helps every time and I never have issues with crashes or any other issues. Hold down the menu button and the power button at the same time until it shuts off, you'll get the power down screen with the red slide thing first, but just keep holding it down.
04-22-2010, 06:42 PM
#10
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 342
Could you implement some sort of statistics tracker? It'd be nice to see how many puzzles I've completed.

Current Top Five: Monster Dash, Action Buggy, Godville, Mr. Space, The Incident