★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Tile Combo - My first game

04-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Tile Combo - My first game *NOW FREE*

Hi all. I have just finished developing my first iPhone game and would like to say hello. It's called Tile Combo and is an arcade style puzzle game. There is a lite version you can try for free:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/tile-combo-lite/id368171627?mt=8

and the full version is $0.99:

http://itunes.apple.com/app/tile-combo/id367324551?mt=8

For those interested, I used the excellent Apress book "Beginning iPhone 3 Development" by Dave Mark and Jeff LaMarche to get me started. The game is written mainly in straight C as I use C in my 'real' job. Having never used X Code, Objective C or written a game before I decided it would speed up development if I used as much C as I could. Also, I'm not sure all the benefits of OO programming apply to a relatively simple game.

I used Quartz for the graphics drawing. I'd read alot on the forums about Quartz being too slow for games but my game runs fine at 30fps with 30+ objects on the screen. I've no doubt OpenGL is the way to go for 3D but for 2D games I've found Quartz to be fine.

The app probably took around 40 hours to write and test. Let me know what you think.

This is my first game so I'm no expert but I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks,
Paul Coyne.

Last edited by paul.coyne; 05-18-2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Title Change
04-26-2010, 03:25 AM
Hi Paul,

First of all congratulations on finishing and having your first game published. I've just downloaded and tried out the free version of Tile Combo and I think you've done a very good job for 40 hours of development time.

In my opinion there are 2 issues with the game at the moment.

1. Lack of sound - the game could do with some funky backing music and/or sound effects when tiles drop and combos are created. At the moment your game is ominously silent!

2. I had issues with the touch interface. Often when touching the screen I would cause two tiles to drop at the same time. Was I touching the screen too long? I don't know, but it caused me some frustration when a second tile dropped in the wrong place.

Please take the above 2 points as constructive. You're ahead of me as I'm still working on my first game and its taking a lot longer than 40 hours.

*** EDIT ***
Just tried the game again and didn't have any problems with the touch interface. Must have been me!

Last edited by StevePerks; 04-26-2010 at 03:36 AM.
04-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Hey Paul,

Congrats on releasing your first game! Just tried out the lite version and it's quite interesting what you've achieved with 40 hours and Quartz/C. I'm new to the platform too and I had no idea Quartz could be that smooth. I just jumped straight from UIKit to OGL

Regarding using OOP for a simple game ... IMO, once you start really "using" the concepts of OOP, then there's no going back. You just naturally think in objects for everything you do.
05-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks alot for the feedback.

I thought about adding sound - some 'clink' type sounds as the tiles landed but though most people would be listening to their own music. I can always add it with an option to turn it off.

Everything I'd read on forums said Quartz is no good at all for games but my game runs fine with it - I did find using transparency or drawing text did completely kill the frame rate though. I only use those for the UI, not the game.

I am going to have a go at OpenGL for my next game but my experience has been for a puzzle type game displaying images with little 'effects' Quartz may be all you need.

Thanks again for the feed back.

Paul.
05-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Tile Combo - My first game *NOW FREE*

Full game is now free:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tile-combo/id367324551?mt=8

Enjoy,
Paul.